Trains get stuck

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Trains get stuck

Post by Guenni7 »

I don't understand the logic trains deciding their paths, therefore always ending up with train stucked.
Maybe someone can explain me what I'm doing wrong.

Example:
I built an T-Exit like this:
Untitled3.png
Untitled3.png (7.06 KiB) Viewed 4502 times
Trains get stuck, downside train is waiting to enter the right exit, where another train just arrived, so it's waiting, fine:
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (1.63 MiB) Viewed 4502 times
Now here's my problem: The train from the right is waiting too, even if there is a free way downways on the second rail.
But, the train doesn't change it's path, still wants to go the blocked rail.
Shouldn't the train change it's path and use the free rail?
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4502 times

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Trains get stuck

Post by AndrewIRL »

Currently your North-South parallel rails are bi-directional. I would suggest changing just these two rails to be right hand drive.

The rail on the left hand side should be south only and the rail on the right should be north only. To achieve that, remove the signals between the rails.

Note how the signals are only on the inside of the track however this image I found is for LEFT hand drive and it looks like you want right hand drive - so your signals need to be on the outside of the track not inside.

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

AndrewIRL wrote:Currently your North-South parallel rails are bi-directional. I would suggest changing just these two rails to be right hand drive.
Would love to do so, but there's no way I know to make a rail one-way,
and the east exit is monorail anyway.

I tried and removed the signals directly in the intersection, but that doesn't help much. The trains stuck anyway. Just at another place.

terraflare
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by terraflare »

Guenni7 wrote:Would love to do so, but there's no way I know to make a rail one-way,
So long you know how to put a rail signal and how it works, yes you can. You just need to put 2 rails next to each other, and you decide whether it's a left hand drive or right hand drive. Put the signal where it matters (such as intersection).

And idk if this is just me, but I feel like having a bidirectional rail with more than one train accessing it, will always find a way to f*ck the routes up.
Guenni7 wrote: and the east exit is monorail anyway.

I tried and removed the signals directly in the intersection, but that doesn't help much. The trains stuck anyway. Just at another place.
Mono-directional rails is okay so long it's only 1 train accessing that part IMHO.

And you can have a rotary junction in every junction that you have. viewtopic.php?f=194&t=18621

BUT, if you insist on having an east mono-directional rail, then the flaw in your current train system is that you have two rail signals where your 6 o-clock train is stuck in. Remove the signal that signals south. That should make the 3 o-clock trains to go south, but will turn right (left if facing north) and not bump into your 6 o-clock train.
I am looking to work under somebody, read about it more here:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=46904

ratchetfreak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ratchetfreak »

Guenni7 wrote:
AndrewIRL wrote:Currently your North-South parallel rails are bi-directional. I would suggest changing just these two rails to be right hand drive.
Would love to do so, but there's no way I know to make a rail one-way,
and the east exit is monorail anyway.

you make it one-way by putting signals only on one side of the rail. Then trains won't path the wrong way through them.

Having bidirectional rails is possible but only viable on low traffic areas and with a side rail at regular intervals to let trains pass each other

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

terraflare wrote:And idk if this is just me, but I feel like having a bidirectional rail with more than one train accessing it, will always find a way to f*ck the routes up.
I've found the secret to bi-directional rails is very small numbers of trains and chain signals everywhere.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Signals always go to the right in the travel direction. In your image you have a left and right signal on the North bound lane and the southbound lane. You are telling trains that they can go north or south on BOTH of those tracks. Pick one direction for each track when you have parallel tracks. When you have monorail you want a signal on both sides of the track. If you have multiple trains on the monorail you want NO SIGNALS anywhere on the track where two trains might meet. The trains need to sit somewhere out of the way until the entire track is clear. Generally speaking monorail is useful for places only one train will go. Everywhere else you want two lanes of traffic .

A side note here. Trains are dumb. In your image the train COULD chose the other lane but it made its mind up and the driver is giving the middle finger to the other driver blocking his way. Make it easy on him...Give him less options.

Try this. Note that if no other trains wish to go down that monorail the signals at the blue train are fine. If any other trains wish to that way the intersection will still block. You would want to use chain signals on that track up to a stopping point or depot. Bentham (Mangled Pork)had a creative idea in one of his games He created passing zones on a very long piece of track. This way it was still monorail but he added sections where trains could park and pass.
1.png
1.png (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4441 times

Guenni7
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Guenni7 »

Thank you all for your comments, i got it fixed! :)

The main problem was a not correctly layed track :shock:
Where the track coming from the right passes the right North-South lane (Shokubai marked it with a big circle on his pic),
the incoming track was not connected before, but behind the outgoing, so there was really no path for the train, other than taking the right north-south-lane.
A pic says more than thousand words:
Untitled5.png
Untitled5.png (379.01 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
I also changed the signals, so I have two one-way lanes, N/s and S/N, had no more stucking trains.
What I didn´t know (and haven't read anywhere), is that if you have two tracks in the same direction, and only place a signal on one, the other one is ignored by the train.
I thought that track would be free to use as it has no stop signal, but seems the train is prefering the signaled track.

Shokubai
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Shokubai »

Glad you got it fixed. Here is a great resource for junctions(blueprints) and the comments contain a lot of good info on junction signaling.
viewtopic.php?f=194&t=46855

Return to “Gameplay Help”