split liquid evenly into two pipes

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
jaredbeck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

split liquid evenly into two pipes

Post by jaredbeck »

How can I split "liquid" evenly into two pipes?

I have tried:

1. with pumps
with pumps
with pumps
Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.22.25 AM.jpg (48.36 KiB) Viewed 24621 times
2. without pumps
without pumps
without pumps
Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.22.53 AM.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 24621 times
In both configurations, almost all the "liquid" goes into only one pipe.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: split liquid evenly into two pipes

Post by DaveMcW »

Impossible.

The only solution is to make one plant stop after a while so the other plant can use the liquid.

Or produce fast enough to support both plants.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

This is about the same problem as here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=4814

I think the algorithm has to decide into which network the fluid/power goes.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

DerivePi
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DerivePi »

since both chemical plants produce solids, you can control how much liquid goes to each by limiting how much product material is produced by each.

for the plastic plant, use a smart inserter on circuit 1, followed by a smart chest on circuit 1, followed by a smart inserter on circuit 2.
For the Sulfur plant, use a smart inserter on circuit 2 followed by a smart chest on circuit 2 followed by a smart inserter on circuit 1.

The first smart inserter on both sides only operates when the smart chest next to it is empty. The last smart inserter on both sides, only operates when the other sides smart chest has one item in it. Both items should be delivered at the same time, but in the worst case they should alternate deliveries.

If you wanted uneven production you'd need to create a switch that checks the amount in both chests and then passes an item to "switch" on the final smart inserter and then reset.

BeltRunner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BeltRunner »

jaredbeck wrote:How can I split "liquid" evenly into two pipes?
Liquid splitter

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Is there a problem with using wood planks as the fuel?
I would recommend using the shortest burning fuel possible, so that the distribution is smoother, instead of being pulsed.

Quite the contraption :P, but nice work.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

piggy2
Inserter
Inserter

Post by piggy2 »

i figured out if you pipe into two tanks it evens out
here's some good music http://bignic.bandcamp.com/album/a-liar-and-a-thief. too short?http://www.infinitelooper.com

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

piggy2 wrote:i figured out if you pipe into two tanks it evens out
Only if the entire length of pipe leading from the two tanks is the same. (e.g. 20 tiles of pipe to a chem plant from one tank, 20 on the other.)
I suppose the two tanks idea would also work if you exclusively filled the tanks to full, and then stopped the input and started the output.

I imagine the use cases for forcing a split in a liquid would be cases where there was an uneven use rate. (e.g. plastics vs sulfuric acid)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Lee_newsum
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lee_newsum »

jaredbeck wrote:How can I split "liquid" evenly into two pipes?

I have tried:

1. with pumps
Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.22.25 AM.jpg
2. without pumps
Screen Shot 2014-07-13 at 11.22.53 AM.jpg
In both configurations, almost all the "liquid" goes into only one pipe.
you can if you do 2 thinks
1) on the pick "2. without pumps" add 1 pumps just out side the tanks and befor you split the pipe.
2) let the pipes between the pump and chemical plants full up and make more Petroleum Gas than thay ned.

i have do this for 10 chemical plants if you can keep all the inputs full i can/do use all 10 at the some time

transportman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by transportman »

n9103 wrote:Is there a problem with using wood planks as the fuel?
I would recommend using the shortest burning fuel possible, so that the distribution is smoother, instead of being pulsed.

Quite the contraption :P, but nice work.
I guess you could use any fuel, but where do you want to get a (semi-)constant flow of wood planks from? I always use coal for my power backup, because it has the lowest energy content of the fuels I can supply to the storage almost continuously, making it almost never run out unexpectedly.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Large amounts of deconstruction designation of forests.
Would be a problem if you started in the middle of a large desert or wasteland area, but otherwise, thousands of wood for a screen-sized chunk of forest.
I don't see extending a logistic network as being too off-putting if you've got the time to be working on a setup like this. (resource-wise, of course.)

Return to “Gameplay Help”