I like how "waterfront length" is 7 times less important

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Peter34
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

I like how "waterfront length" is 7 times less important

Post by Peter34 »

In 0.14 and earlier, one was hugely dependent on having some kind of wide shoreline, along an ocean or lake, and then building Boiler/Steam lines out from that, each line consisting of 2 Offshore Pumps and the required Boilers and Steam Engines and producing a little over 10 MW (a little over 0.5 per Steam Engine).

Now, each system of 2 Offshore Pumps, X Boilers and Y Steam Engines (X=20, Y=40, instead of X=26, Y=20) produces around 72 MW, thus over 7 times as much, and one is therefore much less dependent on having nice lakes or a good coastal area to build in from. Roughly 7 times less dependent, in fact.

If necessary, one can have separate setups at different small lakes, starting with 72 MW at one lake, then later making another setup of 72 MW at another small lake, later again 72 MW more at a third small lake. With setups benig this large, 72 MW, it's not really a hassle to have to start over and Belt in Coal or Solid, because the payoff, 72 MW, is going to last you for quite a long time before you need to do it again.

0.15 brought a lot of changes. I like most of them. But I think perhaps this change tends to get overlooked, even though it has actually made the game a lot nicer to play.

Steam setups are also a bit denser (as per my earlier post) but this is the main issue.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I like how "waterfront length" is 7 times less important

Post by Aeternus »

... yea, well... imagine the array of pumps you'd need for an 1GW+ nuclear plant with the 0.14 numbers for them. One pump per heat exchanger I believe. It'd get silly fast ;)
The ratio is more simple, which is good for newer players. You don't want to hit complexity as soon as you build your first power plant. The layout of the boilers and steamers allows for a 20 deep row of boilers with 2 steam engines behind them fed from one pump - or a double row of 10 each (I do a double row of 9 personally - I like to keep a little extra available in resources).

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: I like how "waterfront length" is 7 times less important

Post by BlakeMW »

Actually landfill had already done a great deal to make the shoreline problem go away, since you could simply straighten a coast then spam offshore pumps along it. You could even then create a second strip of land and place another layer of offshore pumps if desired and braid them using underground pipes.

Return to “Gameplay Help”