Where to put my main bus on new game

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Kitsunekami999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Where to put my main bus on new game

Post by Kitsunekami999 »

Hey guys was starting up a new game for 0.15 and just cant decide where to put my main bus where it will be decent at. any ideas or suggestion would be appreciated. if you respond with a picture showing where on my map to do so it would be appreciated
Attachments
map.png
map.png (292.14 KiB) Viewed 7977 times

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Where to put my main bus on new game

Post by Pothrekr »

Hi,

My 2c.
1) I picked areas with minimal trees, because it's so annoying to clear them.
2) The main bus extends out into a resource poor area of the map, reducing loss of local resources.
3) Oil processing is located near a small source to start the build and close to water. Should also be easy to route you final products up you main bus.
4) Smelting to the north has plenty of room as required, with the water body acting as a natural barrier making it easier to construct some defenses.
map.png
map.png (244.34 KiB) Viewed 7944 times

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Honestly...ditch the main bus, and build a 'building store' instead. Way more efficient for much of the game, and will allow you get pretty far down the tech tree before you need to rework things (time for train-bot mega base then anyways).

How it works:
To start, create 2 belts that will feed most of your building store:
One will have Iron and Copper plates (one lane of each), the other will have Iron gear wheels and Electronic circuits (also one lane each; make small setups to make these, perhaps with some room to expand, fed by splitters from the same belts that also are later merged for your Iron+Copper belt).
For mid game, bring another belt up the other side of the setup, and have it be Pipes+Steel plates (same 1 lane each combo).
You can optionally later add a belt of Batteries+Advanced circuits for more items on the building store.
The building store items is fed by those belts, and has an assembly machine for each thing you will need to help you build up the rest of your factory: Belts, inserters, assembly machines, Electric mining drills, etc. Be sure to group the belts together so you can feed lower tier belts into higher tier products (leave room), and likewise for inserters and assembly machines 1&2 (assem3s can be done later with bots or whatever). Each assembly machine outputs to a chest limited to one stack (or a few if you want to be able to grab more at a time). By limiting the amount of chest storage that can be used, you won't make an excessive number of items, but it still automates most things you will need in quantity and from a very early stage of the game (I've had one of these up within the first 3 hours of play and I'm no speed runner).

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

Frightning wrote:Honestly...ditch the main bus, and build a 'building store' instead
These are not mutually exclusive constructs... I've always had a building store at the start of the main bus that fed my starter (i.e., science/module base) in 0.14. I agree that main bus loses value in late game (i.e., rocket bases in 0.14 and earlier, rocket/infinite science bases in 0.15) when resource amounts moved are high and UPS is at a premium.

When building up infrastructure, though, there is value in being able to "flex" inputs easily between different consumers and a main bus allows for an organized way to do that - for example, a blue belt factory at the beginning of my bus ofc consumes the majority of iron plates when it's active, but it usually isn't on all the time - when the blue belt factory is off, a main bus setup lets the iron flow down to other parts of the factory (science, accus, other equipment).

In 0.14, my experience was that a main bus of 4 blue lanes iron/4 copper/4 green circuits (separately fed)/1 steel/2 plastic was pretty good for the starter/science base - once I got my circuits and oil fully beaconed and moduled (which was always my priority for red/green circuit spending, log bots/solar is second priority, electric furnaces a distant third), it was good for churning out ~15 module 3s per minute, which was ofc useful to have running in the background while setting up the next (main) base.

That said, the ease of flexing inputs between different consumers makes for a double edged sword as I often see folks use it as an excuse to not plan out production, and simply add on assemblers to the ends of branches in an ad-hoc manner.

P.S. OP, I agree with Potrekhr's proposed layout. If you're playing with biters on, be extra vigilant about clearing bases to the east, as pollution will spread quickly across the desert.

Kitsunekami999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kitsunekami999 »

My biter population is set to low for just general base sparsity. Thank you for all the advice i have never done a store style. i only really use main bus style. the ratio of belts helps me out in figuring out how to build it. i was until recently playing bobs mods so going back to vanilla has been a bit of a readjustment. haha

Kitsunekami999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kitsunekami999 »

also here is a pic of my pre factory build to get myself running
Attachments
starting factory to get main factory up.png
starting factory to get main factory up.png (4.05 MiB) Viewed 7817 times

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

iceman_1212 wrote:
Frightning wrote:Honestly...ditch the main bus, and build a 'building store' instead
These are not mutually exclusive constructs... I've always had a building store at the start of the main bus that fed my starter (i.e., science/module base) in 0.14. I agree that main bus loses value in late game (i.e., rocket bases in 0.14 and earlier, rocket/infinite science bases in 0.15) when resource amounts moved are high and UPS is at a premium.

When building up infrastructure, though, there is value in being able to "flex" inputs easily between different consumers and a main bus allows for an organized way to do that - for example, a blue belt factory at the beginning of my bus ofc consumes the majority of iron plates when it's active, but it usually isn't on all the time - when the blue belt factory is off, a main bus setup lets the iron flow down to other parts of the factory (science, accus, other equipment).

In 0.14, my experience was that a main bus of 4 blue lanes iron/4 copper/4 green circuits (separately fed)/1 steel/2 plastic was pretty good for the starter/science base - once I got my circuits and oil fully beaconed and moduled (which was always my priority for red/green circuit spending, log bots/solar is second priority, electric furnaces a distant third), it was good for churning out ~15 module 3s per minute, which was ofc useful to have running in the background while setting up the next (main) base.

That said, the ease of flexing inputs between different consumers makes for a double edged sword as I often see folks use it as an excuse to not plan out production, and simply add on assemblers to the ends of branches in an ad-hoc manner.

P.S. OP, I agree with Potrekhr's proposed layout. If you're playing with biters on, be extra vigilant about clearing bases to the east, as pollution will spread quickly across the desert.
I suppose, but I honestly see no reason to do it that way, because you can get to the bot-stage (at least I know this was true in 0.14) off of just the building store+dedicated science area. My most recent default map settings game in 0.14 has done exactly that, and I'm nearly done with all research now (just have the Follower count line left to do). Once you've reached bot stage, belts are pretty obsolete imho.

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pothrekr »

Frightning wrote:
iceman_1212 wrote:

I suppose, but I honestly see no reason to do it that way, because you can get to the bot-stage (at least I know this was true in 0.14) off of just the building store+dedicated science area. My most recent default map settings game in 0.14 has done exactly that, and I'm nearly done with all research now (just have the Follower count line left to do). Once you've reached bot stage, belts are pretty obsolete imho.
I would point out that a players goal is not always to get to launching a rocket as quick as possible, or to build a base using best practice as described here on the forum. Basically there is not enough information in OP's original comment to determine if a main bus is the best solution to their goals.

Pothrekr
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Pothrekr »

Kitsunekami999 wrote:also here is a pic of my pre factory build to get myself running
That's awesome much more concise than my pre-factory, which I tried to do a little too much in. Well done.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Yea, narrow, but not easily expandable that.

I usually start with a small, but expandable smelter array (6 or so for iron, 4 for copper) as soon as I got electricity. The Burners by that time are either retired or are chugging some extra metal plates. From those smelters, I run 2 main belts - one with iron, one with copper, throughout my entire complex. I use splitters to siphon off some resources where needed. In midgame, as more metal is needed, that gets upgraded to a faster belt, but for early game, only the research post is linked on it, along with some ammo producers usually close to the smelter (similar to Kitsu's setup but a little less compressed). Haven't done the "add electronics and gearwheels" as a third belt. I tend to produce those where needed.

Once the base becomes bigger an the starting orefields are exhausted, I usually start to set up a rail line - smelting with electrical furnaces (preferably with efficiency modules) is done locally at the mining outposts, and the trains then return with smelted Copper and Metal, which are then fed directly into the main trunk to keep the early factory going. I also set up a "caroussel" to produce all kinds of buildings and additives I might need. It's basically a slow belt in a big loop with the entire belt in "Read Contents - hold" mode, with the lower end of the belt producing half fabricates and stowing them on the belt, whereas the upper end takes those to produce whatever I need. By the time I got a botnet going, I can blueprint drop anything and let the construction bots worry about the rest. 'Though that might need revising with 15.x due to research needing various buildings as ingredients for research modules. No pumpjacks and electrical furnaces... :/

OP suggestion: Take the main bus a little south and then west, towards the forest. That should absorb some pollution early on and you won't have to deal with as heavy a biter presence, giving you time to build some defenses. I prefer heavily forested areas bordering my young factory early on for that reason. By the time you get construction bots, clearing those woods is going to be easy enough... or if you're feeling feisty, research flammables and burn the lot down once you need room.

Kitsunekami999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kitsunekami999 »

It isn't about launching a rocket its about learning all the new ways to use stuff on a main bus in 0.15
But any suggestions are welcome I have a low biter saturation so biters aren't a concern.

Kitsunekami999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Kitsunekami999 »

hey all quick update and question for you all. how does this start to my main bus look? not gonna lie im grasping at straws for design ideas. i have played bobs mods too much and cant remember how a vanilla factory goes haha. god i feel like a noob all over again.
Attachments
update.png
update.png (4.91 MiB) Viewed 7728 times

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Excessive ;)
Also, how are you going to split off resources when the belts are that tightly compressed? Doubling up is one thing, but that steel line is going to mess things up when you need to split off copper.

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

I'd leave two lanes worth of space every four lanes, so that you can easily use undergrounds to pull off your bus.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

iceman_1212 wrote:I'd leave two lanes worth of space every four lanes, so that you can easily use undergrounds to pull off your bus.
Yeah you definitely want some spacing there. Always at least 2 spaces between. As a matter of personal preference I always separate belts that are different types, so I would have a two tile space between copper and iron for example. Never more than 4 belts side by side, so if you had a huge amount of iron plates and needed 8 belts for it then split it into 4 and 4. You'll always hear lots of opinions about what to put on the bus and what to leave off, but do whatever you want, it's hard to go wrong (though I will say that copper cables are a poor choice for a bus).

I personally use this setup:
4 lanes iron plates
space
4 lanes copper plates
space
2 lanes green circuits
space
2 lanes steel
space
1 lane coal
1 lane stone (part-way through my base I stop this line and continue it as red circuits)

I enjoy using belts so I tend to have a large main bus, but you can certainly get away with more or less depending on your play style.

Other things to consider:
-- Adding fluid pipes to your bus (lube, sulfuric acid, water, etc.)
-- Allowing wider space to fit in things like roboports
-- train access/crossings
-- path to drive a car (may be kind of crazy, lol)

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

I would also add a line or two of gears there.

They are used a lot now and they offer 2:1 compression versus iron plate bus.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Kelderek wrote:
iceman_1212 wrote: I personally use this setup:
4 lanes iron plates
space
4 lanes copper plates
space
2 lanes green circuits
space
2 lanes steel
space
Yeah, I've had that setup a while now... but I'm finding it isn't really sufficient for doing late research... eventually the green circuit production takes up enough of the Iron to start throwing a wrench in things. And now in 0.15 it's only gotten worse with essentially a requirement for launching rockets which means a bigger drain on due to Processing Unit needs...

I've never put Iron Gears on the bus because most things need so many gears it seems like I'd need 8 lanes of them. But you makes a good point, their density is higher than Iron Plates.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

Why a lane of stone? Everything you can produce off of stone can be clumped together in a single production facility. Unless you want to use bricks for local producing of structures or concrete, but then run that instead :)
Only extras you might need are iron ore (for concrete, for iron/steel to make rail and gates) and minor amounts of green circuits (for gates, if you even automate making those).

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

This brings up a good point, you may want even more space if you think you'll need to expand your bus later. As the demand increases, I will upgrade my belts from yellow to red to blue as needed, but once this number of blue belt lanes are not enough then I have to come up with other ideas. I usually end up just making another bus somewhere else or de-centralize the entire thing.

In my current 0.15 game I have a near-endgame goal of producing 1 of each science pack per second, but that requires a really high volume of materials and I haven't achieved that yet.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Aeternus wrote:Why a lane of stone? Everything you can produce off of stone can be clumped together in a single production facility. Unless you want to use bricks for local producing of structures or concrete, but then run that instead :)
Only extras you might need are iron ore (for concrete, for iron/steel to make rail and gates) and minor amounts of green circuits (for gates, if you even automate making those).
You need bricks to make electric furnaces for production science packs, so you need a steady supply of stone. I don't run the stone line very far, as you say, it's not needed for a whole lot, but I use up a lot to keep those science packs flowing. I run the stone line in far enough that I can also access other things like circuits for the various recipes I need. I set this all up on belts because the requester chest is so late in the tech tree now.

I also produce train rails, landfill, and concrete nearby too so the stone gets plenty of use. To each his own, I just found this setup to be handy for my base.

Return to “Gameplay Help”