0.15.0—Boiler to Steam Engine Ratio??

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
bendb918
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

0.15.0—Boiler to Steam Engine Ratio??

Post by bendb918 »

AWESOME UPDATE!

But now I'm completely lost... has anyone figured out the new optimum boiler to steam engine ratio? Right now it looks like an offshore pump can support 40 steam engines, but that's all I can figure out. I'd appreciate the help, just started a new map.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: 0.15.0—Boiler to Steam Engine Ratio??

Post by Kelderek »

1 boiler to 2 engines

bendb918
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bendb918 »

Thank you!!

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Kelderek wrote:1 boiler to 2 engines
How can I see this in the game? I tried 3 and 4 engines on a boiler and I can't figure out how to tell two is the correct number....
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Zeblote
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zeblote »

Mr. Tact wrote:
How can I see this in the game? I tried 3 and 4 engines on a boiler and I can't figure out how to tell two is the correct number....
To test the setup, first make sure your factory pulls more power than 2 steam engines produce.
Then disconnect all steam engines except 2. You'll see them running at full power.

If you add a 3rd engine at the same boiler, you can watch the steam bar in the engines drop until it reaches 0, and they will stop working correctly.

bendb918
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bendb918 »

Zeblote wrote:
Mr. Tact wrote:
To test the setup, first make sure your factory pulls more power than 2 steam engines produce.
Then disconnect all steam engines except 2. You'll see them running at full power.

If you add a 3rd engine at the same boiler, you can watch the steam bar in the engines drop until it reaches 0, and they will stop working correctly.
Exactly.

Vornicus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vornicus »

From the data:
  • Water's specific heat is 0.2 kJ / (°C unit). (this suggests that 1 unit of water is approximately 48 grams)
  • the boiler's power is 1.8 MW.
  • The target temperature for the boiler is 165.
  • Water starts at 15 degrees.
  • The steam engine can use up to 30 units of steam per second.
  • The shoreline pump can produce 1200 units of water per second.
So:
  • the boiler can heat 1.8M / 0.2k = 9000 °C units of water per second.
  • the boiler tries to heat water by 150 °C.
  • the boiler therefore converts 60 units of cold water into hot steam per second.
  • A single boiler can thus provide exactly enough steam for 2 steam engines.
  • A single pump can provide exactly enough cold water for 20 boilers and thus 40 steam engines.
This working does not attempt to consider piping flow rate losses.

The boiler is listed as having an effectivity of 0.5; this means that while it gets 1.8 MW of power from burning, it uses burnables at a rate of 3.6MW, or 1 coal / 2.22 seconds.
At this rate, you need 9 (exactly) coal/second coming in to a single pump's power station, requiring (a little under) 18 standard electric mining drills to keep it fed. Which is rather a bit more than the, uh, 4 or so you needed in 0.14.

Kelderek
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kelderek »

Vornicus wrote:The boiler is listed as having an effectivity of 0.5; this means that while it gets 1.8 MW of power from burning, it uses burnables at a rate of 3.6MW, or 1 coal / 2.22 seconds.
At this rate, you need 9 (exactly) coal/second coming in to a single pump's power station, requiring (a little under) 18 standard electric mining drills to keep it fed. Which is rather a bit more than the, uh, 4 or so you needed in 0.14.
You're talking about a single water pump which means 20 boilers and 40 steam engines right? If that's the case, it seems reasonable to me considering you get 900 kW of energy from steam engines now, so that is a nice 36 MW of power. I have no problem with making them consume more fuel than previously, we're getting more reasons to use coal than we had before which I kind of like. I barely ever used coal in the past, now I need it for things like military science packs (grenades). There is also the coal liquefaction recipe in here too (though I haven't unlocked that yet).

nevniv
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nevniv »

Also the devs said in the Friday Facts that it is now a 1:2 ratio :)

Phasma Felis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phasma Felis »

Vornicus wrote:At this rate, you need 9 (exactly) coal/second coming in to a single pump's power station, requiring (a little under) 18 standard electric mining drills to keep it fed. Which is rather a bit more than the, uh, 4 or so you needed in 0.14.
Although that one pump is feeding 40 generators instead of 10, so the coal/MW works out at least close to the same.

Vornicus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Vornicus »

Phasma Felis wrote:
Vornicus wrote:At this rate, you need 9 (exactly) coal/second coming in to a single pump's power station, requiring (a little under) 18 standard electric mining drills to keep it fed. Which is rather a bit more than the, uh, 4 or so you needed in 0.14.
Although that one pump is feeding 40 generators instead of 10, so the coal/MW works out at least close to the same.
Exactly the same, actually: coal's energy content hasn't changed, and the effectivity of boilers hasn't changed, and steam engines are still 100% efficient. The update only changed the way you lay out your power stations, not how good they are at converting coal to electricity.

Return to “Gameplay Help”