My Megabase Fail

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

My Megabase Fail

Post by Zonk »

After all those Rocket per minute stuff and countless hour i was going to get my own base running offline all alone because i was fed up of playing online and always have to remove or repair other peoples madness.

I was going to get my own way because i didnt like spending 10.000 Ressources to have one assembler at 500% speed with 20% for those 8 MW energy (including beacons) i could use about 200! Assemblers with -80% Energy and +50% speed.
Besides i dont want to always spend countless Days to produce and place more Solarfields. Alone the ressources to make a big enough solarfield .... one cant build solar pannels faster than oen can insert modules into anything!

Besides spaces costs no 200.000 Solar panels so i used one speed and two efficiency modules on miners too.

Also i dont take ressources with splitters from my mainbus. I just take the whole belt into the production and make a setup using the belt totally up. Finally no more half starving production somewhere because i suddently start producing 5000 underground pipes.

I thought "Go big or go Home" to my self and did exactly that.
Using a few Mods (Foreman, Blackmarket, RSO, upgrade planner, concreep <-- love it, added ups -up later) i made some preparations cleared wide spaces and made a propper bot network of over a few thousand roboports which nicely spread that conccrete.
Theyr only business was delivering myself with items everywhere and de/construct my factory and help a bit with a few requester Chests at some factories.
Also after wiring xx ironfields i made my own custom copperfield and oil wells in a good layout.

Building everythin spacy to have some room for modifications or whatever i want seemed like a good idea.
Made a big Solarfarm and a 4 line Trainnetwork using 3/8 trains.
Smelting lines are 72x32 furnances giving me a 64 belts mainbus alone for iron and copper.
I also added my own design of what people call a mall using belt lines to create nearly everything in a logical row and providing it to the network.
Additional i was using 6+ belts of iron for making blue, underground belts and splitter in a perfcet ratio (blue underground belts need alone ~4+ belts of iron to produce fluently)

Oil based products where my exception of beacons and modules. There i used 50 oilrefinnerys and 200 chemplants with productivity modukes and ~500 speed beacons.
After all except Rockets and maybe some more circuits for it where setup i had around 8 belts of iron and copper left at my mainbus.

That was the Point where i noticed my failing. I was so bussy tweaking little things and blueprinting big stuff i didnt notice how SLOW the game went!

After some testing i say iam playing my Rocketllessmap at a speed of 20% even after removing all addons.
Neue Bitmap.jpg
Neue Bitmap.jpg (173.96 KiB) Viewed 2304 times
I dont know whats eating most processing power.
I guess its the 100.000 Blue belts and roughly 30.000 underground belts. 6.000+ furnances and drills may add a bit to it.

My next megabase attemp will be with trains thousand beacons and liek everyone else 1 trillion solar pannels.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: My Megabase Fail

Post by The Eriksonn »

Remember the nuclear Power and better belt performance in 0.15, i guess they will help with performance.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

The Eriksonn wrote:Remember the nuclear Power and better belt performance in 0.15, i guess they will help with performance.
Sadly belt optimizations are postponed till 0.16. And solar/accu fields do not impact CPU at all - they are processed in bulk (generally by just multiplying values for same entities connected to the same network.
So in your case CPU hit mostly comes from belts and you can't do anything about it till 0.16

Have to admit that concretting all the base does nothing good at all as well. It does not make a big hit on CPU but memory will suffer for sure.

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

Oh my memory is stable at 5-6 GB with many backround stuff. I dont know how much will go on if i start to add Buildings for Rockest but i guess that map gets skipped till 1.6 or forever...
My 6 year old Phenom still have a good overall perfomance but sadly its spread over 6 cores :(
As a afterthought i remember noricing earlyier that i begun to walked slower. At that time i thougt i missed a few legs in my armor...

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Try keeping your belt bus underground wherever possible?

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Not sure how you laid that out, but one thing I did in my current games was to make the gears and circuits immediately next to my furnaces.

The main reason was so I could make my main bus a lot smaller, since a lot of the copper, iron, green and red circuits never reach it, just what is needed for the later items. It also meant it was less important to do lots of belt balancing to prevent bottlenecks or starved assembly lines which is nice.

I suspect such a design would also help a lot with performance since many of the mass produced items travel a much shorter distance.

Return to “Gameplay Help”