Train Help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Swanny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Train Help

Post by Swanny »

I need help getting my new train system running so i thought i would ask here (as every one seems helpful)
I'm in the process of upgrading my current train line which is why there are two tracks at the top but they are irrelevant.
I want to make it so that two trains can both get to and from the stations without colliding however currently when the second train comes it gets stuck between the end of the t-junction and where the track splits to go to the two stations.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
factorio help.png
factorio help.png (4.19 MiB) Viewed 1363 times

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Train Help

Post by Loewchen »

You either need to use signals on the right side as well or remove the crossing tracks, both stations are a single block right now, so only one train will ever be able to enter. Additionally you need to make sure that an entering train can not prevent an exiting train from leaving the station, right now this setup is a deadlock paradise :P

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Swanny wrote:I want to make it so that two trains can both get to and from the stations without colliding
Hello Swanny. Welcome to the forum.
Loewchen made some great points, but I think with some proper signaling you can fix this situation.
Keep in mind, you want to use a Chain signal at the entrance points to a junction and a Regular signal on the exit points. That will keep your junctions clear from waiting trains.
(Signals placed as 'dividers', to keep your junctions flowing, count as Entrance points, so they need to be Chain signals).

- Your most left vertical track shows 3 signals. Going with the direction of the traffic, from bottom to top they should be: Chain, Chain, Regular.
- The vertical track next to that, where the train is parked on top, starting from the top to bottom, the 4 signals should be: Chain, Chain, Chain, Regular.
- In that same junction to the left, all signals at a curved track (your 'dividers') should be Chain.
- The 2 signals in the middle, to the left of your character, can both be removed. (or should both be Chain).
- The outgoing signals of both your stations need to be Chain. (The incoming signals are okay)
- You need to remove that chunk of vertical unfinished track that connects both stations and makes it one block.
- Yea I got carried away here. Had nothing better to do with my 32bit system. :cry:

This station setup is missing waiting platforms. It will most probably cause a problem when more than one train is trying to visit the same station.
In that case the second train will drive up all the way to the last signal at the station, blocking any train from leaving.
So, even though this setup could be made working properly (somewhat) you really want to rethink your design for stations in general.
Incorporate a stretch of rails where trains can park before they can enter the station itself.
Looking at other people's setups often helps a lot.

Good luck and have fun!

Swanny
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Swanny »

Bushdoctor wrote:
Swanny wrote:I want to make it so that two trains can both get to and from the stations without colliding
Hello Swanny. Welcome to the forum.
Loewchen made some great points, but I think with some proper signaling you can fix this situation.
Keep in mind, you want to use a Chain signal at the entrance points to a junction and a Regular signal on the exit points. That will keep your junctions clear from waiting trains.
(Signals placed as 'dividers', to keep your junctions flowing, count as Entrance points, so they need to be Chain signals).

- Your most left vertical track shows 3 signals. Going with the direction of the traffic, from bottom to top they should be: Chain, Chain, Regular.
- The vertical track next to that, where the train is parked on top, starting from the top to bottom, the 4 signals should be: Chain, Chain, Chain, Regular.
- In that same junction to the left, all signals at a curved track (your 'dividers') should be Chain.
- The 2 signals in the middle, to the left of your character, can both be removed. (or should both be Chain).
- The outgoing signals of both your stations need to be Chain. (The incoming signals are okay)
- You need to remove that chunk of vertical unfinished track that connects both stations and makes it one block.
- Yea I got carried away here. Had nothing better to do with my 32bit system. :cry:

This station setup is missing waiting platforms. It will most probably cause a problem when more than one train is trying to visit the same station.
In that case the second train will drive up all the way to the last signal at the station, blocking any train from leaving.
So, even though this setup could be made working properly (somewhat) you really want to rethink your design for stations in general.
Incorporate a stretch of rails where trains can park before they can enter the station itself.
Looking at other people's setups often helps a lot.

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks for your response
Since making this post i have been playing more and more and now I look back on it, it is terrible
I have completely redone the station layout and now it works great
Thanks

Return to “Gameplay Help”