red AND green wire on smart inserter

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
semTex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

red AND green wire on smart inserter

Post by semTex »

hi,

i have a smart inserter connected to a red (steel) and a green (gear-wheels) wire. but as soon one of the conditions is fulfilled the inserter refuses to fetch the unfulfilled condition.
In the screenshot the smart chest holds already exactly 100 gear-wheels:

is there something wrong with my setup or is an "OR-usage" of smart inserters and different wires not possible atm?

thx
semTex

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: red AND green wire on smart inserter

Post by sillyfly »

A smart inserter works if all of it's conditions are met (i.e. - it's always AND, never OR).

Also note that the condition has nothing to do with which item the inserter grabs. It can have a condition on gears, for example, but if it is positioned in front of a chest containing, say, copper, it will happily grab it until the condition is no longer True.

semTex
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by semTex »

dammit. thx anyway.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

You shouldn't feel defeated already. Technically it's possible to have AND and NOT ("NOT <100" is ">99", for example).
As NAND is complete logic system you should be able to "program" any logical condition (Although it may be complicated).

See this thread for some ideas: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... ?f=8&t=348

(from older versions, but this should clear the ideas at least :) )

Return to “Gameplay Help”