Help with Train Signals - Interchange

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bo Flexson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Help with Train Signals - Interchange

Post by Bo Flexson »

After 700 hours in this awesome game, you'd think I'd have the train signals down, but I'm having trouble with this one. Normally I signal everything fine with minimal waits, chain going in regular going out seems to always work.

In this depot, I have 2 lanes heading south into the multiple stations, and 2 lanes heading north. see attachment/screen print. Trains arrive from the north, enter a station, then exit to the north after doing their business. These 4 stations will become many more heading farther south.

Every time I seem to have it working, when I blueprint it, and place it back down, signals are blinking and I have to move them a spot or two.

Any help or suggestions on how to signal this would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep the vertical density (the stations as close together going north and south), but I have plenty of room to spread it out east/west if that makes the signalling easier and/or increases the throughput.

Blueprint for the screen shot, (hopefully):

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/6Wc727aMBTFX6XiM1SxHf5UE89SIYg6JBoqYFsrxLsPYldL2crO+fVbJc61j0/uvXGcnK62d5vtcrG5e5wf18ttu58fj+t21bzOw3C/fmoX
m/nx8PbSzAfrQ/M8GLaL5/Pfu8V6MzidTsOmPawP6+YSlX/ZH86/PX0/jDrI8GW7P/++befH1/kozYZv81Fdn+MEdJw46FBbYzvgQjtatEV0oa2O7YAL7cqi
LaILbXVsB5xpp5lDW0Vn2vLYDrjQnli0RXShrY7tgAttqyRVdKHtlKQKLrStklTRhbZTkiq40LZKUkUX2k5JquBMO1olqaIzbXlsB1xoWyWpogttpyRVcKFt
laSKLrSdklTBhbZVkiq60HZKUgUX2lZJquhC2ylJFZxpB6skVXSmLY99Db5gRnnreE364X7coSf3Y2uZE2X0OHVHL7JYJa9xCbHHZbha75pl91ttSCpNVH1l
nqKu1WlUdFHL6TQquNC2Oo2KLrSdTqOCC22r06joQtvpNCo40+7V9/LH7mez+id0eoGShJ/Ic4QE58gSOU3N2mZYuwyr4zh7DGuL4T2HWw+GznOhdZ8WwfnG
20+SsZK/4RwW+lFTZ1egpG8cX0/hZK/axCq0/Clcvbz4v+Q1blNO23SaptEynYbp3Jw8bE++qMXVMC7CuIrFhRmMg7qEWtc+QA0D1DBADaGEUEGaWF8JU6BM
PEaLacAEZ1cX5hJMXVgpsIhhz4AtCnZE2IBhv49MksQkSUySxCRJTJJ0Q5L/PM1M4XbF2Vur2NhhzU1deLhehbar6+q4lp/IgE5RXjpZ+PjzZV8makf7w/bl
H2lS+zemLs55/nMe/4ynP+fhzzk4dI4NZ3Afps4R4RwVi5uxsAkLgwJCTaIsOxOP0WIaMMHZ1YW5BFMXVlVgigQmSYQZwiSJTJLIJIlMksQkSUySxCRJTJIE
22IXJ5871xmMzvASPMTrk/vfId6HOYxTPPlMv0ICTOn65eX/rfCf1d/cW31cjJMzzhGZ9arHedNjveix3qoFsOt8D9TPANEskQZWMDDMaCBVMlBx3gP1rSua
hSpJhaQ64hxzEpnNASWEs0EhoO7wMtO0onlMq4yWNe0jtHHRTklbM71xRKhLgrokqEuCuiSoS6LtMgc65z8yOGYwOfILD/DMTyanY9EyxjcWcXuXOaHX0DkU
sz6mc76lU7H5UNt5LW59tuiC4atREljBwBmMm8A4qkx0LiybA0oIZ4NCQN3hZaZpRfOYFk6AsgSoS6S5AnWJUJcIdYlQlwR1SVCXBHVJUJdE22UOtD5qsr7C
MU5s+tibe4bov1Qu63SOeSyXhmPSsDwaliHG8sM4dhjLDWNZjyznkWM8io7JIT5YHoe+FevzsYvFQR+7E8RykGlEir+hI4Je/GvTVF+YJcvqtCHLIOj4Ay17
oOXFtKyYjhPTMmJarlfL9Op4Xi3Lq+UvtuzFjrvYMhdbTm7LyO34uC0bt+WZtyzzjmPeMsxb/53gAj6Vf4nQNr8ew+D0bdccfuzau8dvTbv6DWVn/mBdQQAA
Thanks in advance, love this game, and what amazing community!!
--Adam (Bo Flexson)
Attachments
Train Interchange Screen Print
Train Interchange Screen Print
With Marks.png (3.38 MiB) Viewed 1779 times

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Help with Train Signals - Interchange

Post by Engimage »

Every part of the rail should have a definite available direction which is set by signals.
In your case the station lines are not signalled and they definitely should be.
As it is the whole intersection with stations included is considered a single block and any train on the station will effectively block the whole intersection from passing by any trains.
So you have put black arrows where you do understand how the trains should move. This is obvious to you but is surely not to the game. Put a bidirectional signals on the station entrance to mark those as bidirectional and separate them into separate blocks.
Bo Flexson wrote:Normally I signal everything fine with minimal waits, chain going in regular going out seems to always work.
And I do not see you doing any chain signals here and you probably should use them.
Also you should divide the intersection to as many blocks as possible by chain signals to prevent whole intersection from being blocked by non-intersecting train routes.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Here is the more simple (while still working) version
Intersection simple.png
Intersection simple.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 1768 times
This version is more advanced and lets trains pass through the junction while not blocking each other
Intersection advanced.png
Intersection advanced.png (1.95 MiB) Viewed 1768 times

aaargha
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aaargha »

The versions you have posted so far should work just fine. Perhaps an example of when it does not work would help.

Blinking signals is the result of either the signal not being properly attached or that the incoming and outgoing blocks are the same. To see which is the problem you can mouse over a signal and look at the incoming/outgoing block fields. If it does not properly attach it's probably a bug. If it does attach it should be pretty easy to see if it's correct or not (missing a signal somewhere) from a picture.

There are some bugs related to this that cause signals to blink in certain situations, depending on which order things are built in. If it's one of those there is a good chance that it soon won't be a problem as I think most of those are resolved for .15.

Bo Flexson
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bo Flexson »

Thanks so much. I was simply over complicating my signals (this whole time).

This should go much smoother now, as long as Bob and Angel aren't the death of me.

Return to “Gameplay Help”