train round a bout

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

train round a bout

Post by starxplor »

I usually use single rail with holding sections in some high-traffic areas, but I decided to try a dual track train setup for the first time.

Below is a pic of my first round-a-bout. I have circled the signals. My current issue, if a train is stopped at the southern station, the three signals controling entry to the circle are all read. I am not sure why, my following of paths all show signals between those entry points and where the train is.

In case anyone wonders, the exit signal is a ways down the track so I do not get trains trying to enter the loop until the full 5-car+engine trains are out of the way.
train-round-a-bout-01.jpg
train-round-a-bout-01.jpg (695.01 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Full image, not cut off on the right: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/dow ... hp?id=1397

Thourion
Inserter
Inserter

Re: train round a bout

Post by Thourion »

Unfortunately i cant figure much only with this picture. Maybe show us the train parked in the station? You got one on the North rail on the pic, with the following North Circle Entry signal showing orange.

Make sure that the Southern signal does not make the whole circle share the block of the station rail.
Other than that, i would put exit signals also in the same vicinity of the entry ones, otherwise if a train wants to come from lets say, East with North direction, a train from West that wants to go East will unnecessary stop before the circle.

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by sillyfly »

This seems to me like it should be working. The only thing I can think of is - maybe the signal from the station is "attached" to the circle instead of the entrance. You can verify this by looking at the actual block numbers.
If that's indeed the case, moving it back a little should solve this...

Edit: It's hard to see as the image is zoomed out quite far, but the top entry signal seems to be yellow... this could also explain why the other signals are red, though in that case it's weird that the lower one is green (Unless it is really connected inside the circle).
As for putting the exit signals far - it's not really necessary, as a block is considered taken if any locomotive or wagon is inside it, not only the head locomotive.

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

My one is just an idea (and it may be very wrong) but in < 0.10.1 there was a bug regarding signal placement so maybe the green signal close to southern station may snap to wrong location.
My suggestion is to try moving it closer to south station and away from roundabout and check if it change anything.

also, a save would help.

edit: ninjaed by sillyfly
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The green signal in south is too near at the switch. And add some signals at the diagonal connections to avoid the reservation of the whole circle.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Good point on the southern signal, I will try moving it back a ways, maybe even all the way to the station there tomorrow when I can play again.

As for signals in the loop, I specifically left them out. All of my trains are 4 or 5 carts plus engine, so I want a train in the loop to have the entire loop blocked from any others entering. Other trains should wait outside the loop for the one in the loop to clear.

I am wondering if I can move the outgoing signals closer to the loop though, having the signal earlier means the loop is open for more traffic sooner. I will also try that, but distinct from my testing with moving the southern signal.

And yes, this is 0.9.8, I like to wait for at least one set of patches before updating any software. As a developer myself, I know how many bugs usually ship with a new product.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to gameplay help.

Well, you need to make a choice, but I prefer to enclose critical points with as many signals as useful, to make the blocking rail-parts as short as possible.

Even if it isn't needed I think the 0.10.0 release is one of the most stable unstable release since last year. :)

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by starxplor »

Turns out the southern signal was too close to the loop. I moved it back a bit and it works great. Thanks all.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Well. This is not a bug, but it is very unawaited....

... When I think about it: I had also some situations like that....

Hmmmmm. I think now some dozen seconds longer and I think it IS a bug, cause it explains also some other unawaited behavior of the train. It is about how the game handles collisions with the track.

Edit: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... 420#p33118

Return to “Gameplay Help”