Filter Inserter Limitation

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
RFL222
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Filter Inserter Limitation

Post by RFL222 »

I am using a Constant Combinator to control the items for a set of filter inserters. I can enter 15 items in the constant combinator but the filter inserter picks the first 5(using some sort of auto sort, I think). Can I have more than 5 items in a circuit network set to filter from one combinator? I hope that makes sense, its does to me. :-)

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Filter Inserter Limitation

Post by The Eriksonn »

The filter inserter only has capacity for 5 items, but there is other ways to filter stuff into chests.

I dont have your system so it is hard to know why you want 15 items in filter inserter, but there is a system that i use to insert any amount of stuff into a chest.

you take a wire from the chest to a math combinator and tell it: each * -1 = each, then connect it up to your constant and then to the inserters.

It will basically fill the chest with the stuff in the combinator, so if you have 15 iron in the combinator the inserter will put 15 iron in the chest.

that system works for all different kinds of items, but not all at a time.

hope it helps ;)

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

RFL222 wrote:Can I have more than 5 items in a circuit network set to filter from one combinator?
No, but you can do it using many combinators. ;)

Clock
Constant combinator: A = 1
Decider combinator: A < 2 → A input count
All combinator inputs and outputs are wired together with green wire.

Filter sets
Constant combinator: Iron = 1, Iron gear wheel = 1, Steel = 1, Transport belt = 1, Inserter = 1
Decider combinator: A = 1 → Everything

Constant combinator: Copper = 1, Copper wire = 1, Electronic circuit = 1, Advanced circuit = 1, Processing unit = 1
Decider combinator: A = 2 → Everything

Decider combinator input is wired to clock (green) and constant combinator (red), output is wired to filter inserter.

RFL222
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by RFL222 »

Thank!

dewiniaid
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by dewiniaid »

Are you filtering from a belt? If so, you can filter as many items as you want with just one constant combinator:

Wire the inserter, the belt it pulls from (and maybe one tile away), and the combinator together.

Set the belts to output contents, on hold (not pulse).

Set the combinator to output -999 of each item you DON'T want.

Set the inserter mode to set filters.

A filter inserter ignores negative signals, so the end result is it will accept "any item on this belt, as long as it's not one of these items". Note that if the section of belt has more than 5 different types of desired items it's possible the inserter will miss some in this case -- but if it's on the end of the belt (or the belt loops) it'll get another chance on the next pass. Also, a single side of a belt can hold at maximum 4 different items.

Eskor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Eskor »

DaveMcW wrote:
RFL222 wrote:Can I have more than 5 items in a circuit network set to filter from one combinator?
No, but you can do it using many combinators. ;)

Clock
Constant combinator: A = 1
Decider combinator: A < 2 → A input count
All combinator inputs and outputs are wired together with green wire.

Filter sets
Constant combinator: Iron = 1, Iron gear wheel = 1, Steel = 1, Transport belt = 1, Inserter = 1
Decider combinator: A = 1 → Everything

Constant combinator: Copper = 1, Copper wire = 1, Electronic circuit = 1, Advanced circuit = 1, Processing unit = 1
Decider combinator: A = 2 → Everything

Decider combinator input is wired to clock (green) and constant combinator (red), output is wired to filter inserter.

Nice idea but no work for me. The problem know are the inserters. This config works ok, but know the filter inserters get stuck and stop grab items :( I think that is for the clock. Any idea?

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

RFL222 wrote:I am using a Constant Combinator to control the items for a set of filter inserters. I can enter 15 items in the constant combinator but the filter inserter picks the first 5(using some sort of auto sort, I think). Can I have more than 5 items in a circuit network set to filter from one combinator? I hope that makes sense, its does to me. :-)
Others have already suggested ways around this. So I will just add a note on the auto sort inserters do:

Afaik the set filter option uses the 5 highest, positive numbers as filter. Once set a filter is only removed when the signal becomes negative or disappears.

Also note that stack filter inserters have even less filter slots.

When you pick up from a belt you should read the belt content and use that to pick filters out of the items you need. If the belt is too mixed and you have more than 5 different items on the belt you will not be able to pick them all up. If you need to do that add some more logic to have the belt stop if any desired items are on it. Then the inserter can change filters as it removes some items and pick them all.

Return to “Gameplay Help”