boilers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

boilers

Post by NameLips »

I have two questions about boilers.

First, if I build the standard 1-14-10 steam setup, but only have a few things in my factory that need power, am I correct in assuming the boilers won't all be generating pollution? The setup only generates power as needed, right? And thus the boilers generate pollution strictly based on overall power consumption. Is this correct?

Second: How is the 1-14-10 ratio calculated? I'm playing with a mod that has upgraded versions of boilers and steam engines. I know they mess with the ratios. I don't mind doing the math, but I'm not sure where to find the numbers I need.

Bonus question:
Same question, except for the solar panel-to-accumulator ratio. I know traditionally it's 21 to 25. But how is that calculated? If I have different kinds of panels and accumulators, how do I figure out the new ratio?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: boilers

Post by DaveMcW »

Yes, boilers have zero pollution when you don't need them.

Pump-to-steam-engine ratio is steam_engine_water / offshore_pump_water. In vanilla the values are 6 / 60.
Steam-engine-to-boiler ratio is boiler_power * boiler_efficiency / steam_engine_power. In vanilla the values are 780k * 0.5 / 510k.
NameLips wrote:solar panel-to-accumulator ratio. I know traditionally it's 21 to 25.
You have it backwards. Accumulators = 21, solar panels = 25.

You need 70 seconds of solar panel power to last the night.
Accumulator-to-solar-panel ratio is solar_panel_power * 70 / accumulator_energy. In vanilla the values are 60k * 70 / 5000k.
Last edited by DaveMcW on Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

Thanks!

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

DaveMcW wrote:Steam-engine-to-boiler ratio is boiler_power * boiler_efficiency / steam_engine_power. In vanilla the values are 780k * 0.5 / 510k.
Where do the 780k come from? I always calculated it as 510k / 390k (from the tooltip and game files) = 1.307 boilers per steam engine.

The boiler's efficiency doesn't factor in this formula. It only determines how efficient the boiler is in using fuel, the output stays the same. If I set the efficiency in the game files to 0.1 I still get the same 1:14:10 ratio in the game when I test it, it only uses 5x as much coal.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Yes you're right, just use 390k and ignore efficiency. I was working from memory and mixed it up with fuel consumption.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

DaveMcW wrote:Yes you're right, just use 390k and ignore efficiency. I was working from memory and mixed it up with fuel consumption.
It just bothered me that this question was also asked on reddit recently and the top comment also used 780k * 50% as explanation, so I thought that was the common consensus and I couldn't find where that 780k came from.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

most use the 1-14-10. i however prefer 1.5:20:15 ratio. :P
3 offshore pumps per 2 rows of boilers.

NameLips
Inserter
Inserter

Post by NameLips »

To EXCEL!

Helfima
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Helfima »

You can use my mod and go energy tab https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Helfima/helmod
You can check your power solution
I have validated with bob and angel mod

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

daniel34 wrote:It just bothered me that this question was also asked on reddit recently and the top comment also used 780k * 50% as explanation, so I thought that was the common consensus and I couldn't find where that 780k came from.
Might be from mixups when using the in-game tooltip. The tooltip says the boiler consumes 390kW and has an efficiency of 50%. Very easy for someone to see that as them consuming 390kW and producing half that much in power, when it's in fact the opposite.

Return to “Gameplay Help”