Starting out a new map.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?

Is my smelting set up good?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 6

ToxicTiger
Inserter
Inserter

Starting out a new map.

Post by ToxicTiger »

This is a new map that I just started. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! To look at the map download the file and open index.html.
Attachments
MAP1.zip
(6.91 MiB) Downloaded 180 times
I like trains.

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Starting out a new map.

Post by quinor »

Pics, please. We're too lazy to open a map.

Nemek
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nemek »

Plot twist: the zip file is not a map but an images archive

quinor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by quinor »

we're still too lazy.

Kane
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kane »

Not only that it's one view layer the most zoomed out and was not all included properly lol.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

How many viruses are in the zip?

OkariDraconis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OkariDraconis »

ToxicTiger wrote:This is a new map that I just started. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! To look at the map download the file and open index.html.
You have Some problems if this will also be your long term solution to smelting.
1. Your smelting line currently in bound to a 2x2 tile Smelter. When the time comes, you'll have to redo that area for the 3x3 tile eltric smelters.
2. You've given yourself a Limited amount of expansion to the right of the Smelter, in case you need more iron smelting.
3. You've bound yourself to an exact vertical height, and won't be able to expand that way without some work.
4. As it stands, you limited in 4 different directions, this is not ideal.

However for an Initial start of a smelting area for me its overkill. But I tend to Destroy all of my main base smelting operation (excluding steel), once I get Robots, Trains, and Electric Furnaces. AT that point, I make Decoupled Smelting Areas, that are Serviced by Trains only. But that's just my Style.
Please review this idea when you get a chance
Swarm Biters (locusts) - The Evolved Response to TurretCreep

5+ years game development experiance

ToxicTiger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ToxicTiger »

OkariDraconis wrote:
ToxicTiger wrote:This is a new map that I just started. Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful! To look at the map download the file and open index.html.
You have Some problems if this will also be your long term solution to smelting.
1. Your smelting line currently in bound to a 2x2 tile Smelter. When the time comes, you'll have to redo that area for the 3x3 tile eltric smelters.
2. You've given yourself a Limited amount of expansion to the right of the Smelter, in case you need more iron smelting.
3. You've bound yourself to an exact vertical height, and won't be able to expand that way without some work.
4. As it stands, you limited in 4 different directions, this is not ideal.

However for an Initial start of a smelting area for me its overkill. But I tend to Destroy all of my main base smelting operation (excluding steel), once I get Robots, Trains, and Electric Furnaces. AT that point, I make Decoupled Smelting Areas, that are Serviced by Trains only. But that's just my Style.
I really see no point in upgrading electric furnaces except in outposts. I will probably bump the vertical size up to 72 and steel furnaces to have full express belt compression.
I like trains.

ToxicTiger
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ToxicTiger »

Anyway by the time I have electric furnaces, robots are available.
I like trains.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

If you don't use modules is there ever a good reason to upgrade steel furnaces to electric furnaces?

I guess if you run out of coal locally it might be easier to supply power from afar than to ship in coal but that still costs more coal. Unless you have too many solar cells ... hmm.

OkariDraconis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by OkariDraconis »

Having 1 less physical resource to be highly dependent on (coal) is always nice. But I don't upgrade to electric furnaces until I have robots and efficiency modules.
But like I said before, I rip out all smelting from my base at this time anyways, and throw it down to a smelting station to handle it. then I have iron plates receiving in my main, etc etc for other materials.

The only thing you need coal for is Plastic, and grenades I believe...once you are no longer dependent on energy for it... I've beaten plenty of games with just my main Coal, (provided it was big enough)
Please review this idea when you get a chance
Swarm Biters (locusts) - The Evolved Response to TurretCreep

5+ years game development experiance

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved from General to Gameplay Help
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”