how does enemy expansion work?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

how does enemy expansion work?

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

I have my entire base walled off with dbl thick layer of walls and turrets closely lining the whole wall. Can someone explain why expansion chunks are shown inside my walls in the yellow regions? Id figure they couldnt expand there if they have no path to reach there
Attachments
427520_20170223113459_1.png
427520_20170223113459_1.png (497.09 KiB) Viewed 4752 times

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: how does enemy expansion work?

Post by torne »

First the enemies decide where to expand to, then they try to path there, and if they are blocked by your walls they will attack the walls to try to get to where they want to go. So, as long as you have turrets defending the walls, they will just get killed on the way.

Only proximity to player structures (and pollution?) is considered when deciding whether to expand into a particular chunk, not whether they'll be able to get there.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

It is important to realize that aliens do not spawn in a new spot. They have to separate from their existing pack, physically move and settle somewhere else.
So, even though the map shows that a certain area is suitable for expansion, if your defenses hold up they won't be able to reach that spot.
(I realize that wasn't a direct answer to your question, but it cleared up a lot for me when I found out) :)

mcwaffles2003
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mcwaffles2003 »

Thank you both, those green circles had me worried.
Cheers

Return to “Gameplay Help”