good engine/ robot setup?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

good engine/ robot setup?

Post by MicFac »

I haven't seen many engine production setups on the forums so I'm not sure how to build it.
I tried to make my own setup and it looks like this: Image
I'm not really happy with it so I wanted to see some of your setups.

update: I forgot to add robot frame production :D

Thanks to everyone for the cool setups and explanations :) ! as Syrchalis suggested, I will try to combine the ideas into one setup.
Last edited by MicFac on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: good engine/ robot setup?

Post by SyncViews »

Well an engine takes 20 seconds, an electric engine needs 1 engine and also takes 20 seconds, and a robot frame needs one electric engine and is again 20 seconds.

Which means if you use all the same assemblers and modules, you can just have 3 assemblers in a line with a single inserter between, no belts (engine -> electric -> frame) and repeat the desired number of times.

When feeding frames to the logistic and construction bot assemblers, I personally recently put all the frames onto one belt, then had a splitter just before the bot assemblers to ensure an even share when both are in demand. The bot assemblers then feed directly into separate passive provider chests (limited to say 400 units).

Standalone engines and electric engines are in far less demand, I just put an extra pair of assemblers in that dont feed to a frame assembler, but instead fill a chest upto 50 units.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

That screenshot is missing assemblers for robot frames.

Generally the 1-1-1 works fine. I tend to prefer 2-2-1 so i have spare engines and can use prod modules for the engines.
2017-02-22-18-05-10-4650107.jpg
2017-02-22-18-05-10-4650107.jpg (210.82 KiB) Viewed 12467 times
It needs some manual feeding with batteries and red circuits until the first bots are done though.
Last edited by Optera on Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

SyncViews wrote:Well an engine takes 20 seconds, an electric engine needs 1 engine and also takes 20 seconds, and a robot frame needs one electric engine and is again 20 seconds.

Which means if you use all the same assemblers and modules, you can just have 3 assemblers in a line with a single inserter between, no belts (engine -> electric -> frame) and repeat the desired number of times.

When feeding frames to the logistic and construction bot assemblers, I personally recently put all the frames onto one belt, then had a splitter just before the bot assemblers to ensure an even share when both are in demand. The bot assemblers then feed directly into separate passive provider chests (limited to say 400 units).

Standalone engines and electric engines are in far less demand, I just put an extra pair of assemblers in that dont feed to a frame assembler, but instead fill a chest upto 50 units.
thanks for the answer, can you maybe post a screenshot of your setup?

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

Optera wrote:That screenshot is missing assemblers for robot frames.

Generally the 1-1-1 works fine. I tend to prefer 2-2-1 so i have spare engines.
yes, I also just saw I forgot the robot frame production :D

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

Optera wrote:That screenshot is missing assemblers for robot frames.

Generally the 1-1-1 works fine. I tend to prefer 2-2-1 so i have spare engines and can use prod modules for the engines.
2017-02-22-18-05-10-4650107.jpg
It needs some manual feeding with batteries and red circuits until the first bots are done though.
that looks very cool! maybe I'm gonna try something like this :)

SyncViews
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SyncViews »

Can easily have as many assemblers as needed. To get electric engines for other use, at an end just have the same but without the frame assembler.

This is what I built as soon as got the research, since most of the demand for bots is getting the main network started, I have never felt the need to revisit later on for modules or logistic chests.
Attachments
factorio-robots.png
factorio-robots.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 12463 times

Syrchalis
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Syrchalis »

Let me post mine, because I think it's optimal (at least for me it was). Most others that were posted are very good too, so you can take inspiration from all of them and combine them with your own input into something even better.

To understand it, start at the top left - gears get put on the far belt, pipes on the close one (ratios are 1:1:2, that's why full belt of pipe, but for just 5 machines it doesn't matter). Next the engines get direct inserted into the electric engine AMs. Then they get supplied with green circuits through underground belts, leaving room for long-handed inserters as you see above or small buffer chests - you need electric engine units for various things (pumps, exoskeletons etc.) so a small buffer is desirable, at least for 1 of the 5 machines. Then you have the robot flying frames who get supplied by belt normally and have the electric engines directly inserted. Their output goes on a belt and gets split by a splitter so both robot AMs get the same amount. They are supplied by requester chests, but a belt wouldn't be a problem (you could even put the red circuits on the green circuits underground belt and supply them this way).

On the right is a roboport with circuit conditions to control robot population. Obviously you could put a roboport next to the chests containing the robots at the bottom left as well.

As a general tip: Try to directly insert what you can, it saves a lot of space and nothing is left on a belt unused, plus you supply everything evenly.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

I won't claim my step is great, but I do like it. :mrgreen: My main bus is just south of the screenshot running west to east.
engines and robot frames.jpg
engines and robot frames.jpg (339.71 KiB) Viewed 12413 times
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Return to “Gameplay Help”