Trains do not seek alternate route?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Trains do not seek alternate route?

Post by Khyron »

I've played around with trains a fair bit now and I just want to confirm one last thing with rail signals.

If there are two possible paths for a train to take to get to a particular stop, the train seems to bias one or the other. If the path it always selects has a red light block, the train will not seek an alternate green light block. Is that right?

Example:
Train starts in block 0 which has outgoing connection to block 1. Block 1 has a fork to outgoing blocks 2 & 3 which merge outgoing to block 4. The train seems to bias block 2 for some reason (path finding algorithm I guess). But if block 2 is red before the train in question leaves block 0, the train will wait in block 1 instead of going through block 3.

If that's true, has anybody got any tips for better managing that situation?

starxplor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Trains do not seek alternate route?

Post by starxplor »

That should not happen as you described. Try removing the biased route by breaking a section of rail to see if it will take the alt route. I suspect there is something else stopping it.

Khyron
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Khyron »

Thanks Starxplor, you're right. I don't have the original set up that made me come to that conclusion but after reading your post I set up an isolated test and was able to get the train to seek the alternate root. Woo!

As a side note, I think I found a bug in the signal placement when setting up the test case. Check out the left most green signal in the first image below. It looks like it's on the right hand side of the track but it's actually for traffic going the other way. The signal snaps to 4 locations as you move across that join. I think the inner two are meant to be blocked or hidden.

The bottom image shows that signal in the correct location.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. This looks like a bug to me. Would be nice someone can make a link from the bug section to this?
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

arl85
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by arl85 »

I created a topic in bug report section linking here
Do you need help taking screenshots in-game? have a look to my guide to calculate screenshot dimensions

Return to “Gameplay Help”