Train acceleration and speed

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Train acceleration and speed

Post by terror_gnom »

Hi,
is there any known formula to calculate the topspeed and acceleration of trains?

Google didnt help much for long trains :( I´ll probably need more than 2-6-2 ;)

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Train acceleration and speed

Post by Optera »

empiric data for train speed:
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... comotives/
https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... xperiment/

The formulas used for acceleration and top speed are not realistic.
Acceleration seems to be mostly a function of max_power and total weight ignoring friction_force and weight of the locomotive.
A train with 100ton can be accelerated by a mere 1ton locomotive if you give it enough max_power which is nonsense as it's wheels would only spin.

Top Speed has a hard limit with max_speed and a calculated limit derived of total weight, total max_power and total air_resistance. air_resistance seems to factor in more at higher speeds which is at least somewhat realistic.

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

Thanks :) I know those tests, but it doesnt help me, how much cargo wagons a 3-x-3 can handle ;) I hoped, the devs did post something or anyone who knows how checked it in the gamefiles :P

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

terror_gnom wrote:Thanks :) I know those tests, but it doesnt help me, how much cargo wagons a 3-x-3 can handle ;) I hoped, the devs did post something or anyone who knows how checked it in the gamefiles :P
What do you mean by "can handle"? accelerate to max speed? If so in what time?
As far as I know the devs never published the train fomula. Here's a really nice one proving L-C is not equal to LL-CC in terms of acceleration

Edit: After doing some testing with 0.14.21 myself I think the formulas have changed since those test I linked. They seem more realistic now.
L-CC accelerates faster than CC-L, used to be the opposite
L-C-L accelerates faster than L-backwards L - C

terror_gnom
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by terror_gnom »

Thank you, so I´ll do some tests of my own. I just hoped, there are some (known) formulas to to see how the numbers changes and finding a "sweet spot"

RoddyVR
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by RoddyVR »

I'm still using L-CC trains because the last time i looked into this topic, the answer was:
1 locomotive by itself = highest accell and top speed.
1 loc per 2 cars (or reverced loc) second best.

I dont remember exactly where or what i read back then, but my impression was that a LL-CCCC train would be as fast as an L-CC train, and same as LL-CC-LL (where the other LLs face wrong way and are dead weight).

so for same speed i would assume that if you want bidirectional trains, it would be LLL-CCC-LLL to match the speed of L-CC trains.
If you dump more cars between the two sets of locos then there are locomotives on each side then the train will have less then a 1/2 ratio of "working locos"/pulled weight and be slower then a LCC

This was the main reason i decided that LCC with roll on roll off turning around would be way and i've built all my train systems that way since. If i ever make a real large base, and need insane amounts of trains coming in from far away, then i'll probably go to a LLCCCC system for far away outposts and have a transfer system betweeen the long distance 2-4 trains and the short range 1-2 trans

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

RoddyVR wrote:I'm still using L-CC trains because the last time i looked into this topic, the answer was:
1 locomotive by itself = highest accell and top speed.
1 loc per 2 cars (or reverced loc) second best.

I dont remember exactly where or what i read back then, but my impression was that a LL-CCCC train would be as fast as an L-CC train, and same as LL-CC-LL (where the other LLs face wrong way and are dead weight).

so for same speed i would assume that if you want bidirectional trains, it would be LLL-CCC-LLL to match the speed of L-CC trains.
If you dump more cars between the two sets of locos then there are locomotives on each side then the train will have less then a 1/2 ratio of "working locos"/pulled weight and be slower then a LCC

This was the main reason i decided that LCC with roll on roll off turning around would be way and i've built all my train systems that way since. If i ever make a real large base, and need insane amounts of trains coming in from far away, then i'll probably go to a LLCCCC system for far away outposts and have a transfer system betweeen the long distance 2-4 trains and the short range 1-2 trans
I was under the same impression that 2L-4C = L-2C in acceleration and top speed, but that's not true (anymore).
When testing locomotive parameters for this thread i built a very basic test track. Here's the results:
L-2C vs 2L-4C

Xeanoa
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeanoa »

Optera wrote:snip
Well, that actually makes sense, because both trains should experience roughly the same amount of air pressure, and that will affect the single locomotive more.

Return to “Gameplay Help”