Inserters refusing to insert

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
blackopsman9999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Inserters refusing to insert

Post by blackopsman9999 »

I have a circuit producer on my blue science line that refuses to accept iron from inserters, and the same for my sulphoric acid on a line I am making processors in.
If you tell me how and want it I can post my world.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Inserters refusing to insert

Post by FreeER »

I'll assume that you understand how to tell if you have enough power and how to place inserters in the proper direction and that you first need a recipe set before inserters will insert (since you've made it to blue science packs). Inserters will also only insert enough ingredients to fulfill that recipe twice (aka if the recipe requires 2 iron the inserter will try to insert up to 4 and then wait until some are used before adding more). It's possible but rare that the inserters have picked up something that it thinks the assembler does not need (it already has twice the amount required by it's recipe) and so the inserter will simply sit there and wait for those to be used and not realize that the assembler needs more of a different ingredient to work.

Other than that I can't think of anything off the top of my head, you could take a screen shot by pressing a button on your keyboard that's labeled 'prt sc' or 'prt scr' or something along those lines (for 'print screen'), make sure you press 'alt' before prt scr to show the extra details about machines, and then opening paint (or any other image editor) and pasting the saved image into it, then saving the image and uploading it with the upload attachment button on the forum when you make a post (under the submit and preview buttons), or to a image sharing site like imgur or photobucket and provide the link to it (the site would give you one somewhere after uploading it).

Alternatively (and probably better), saves files are located (assuming a Windows OS and that you used the installer for Factorio not the zip) in %appdata%\Factorio\saves (%appdata% is an 'environment variable' that points to either C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\appdata\Factorio or C:\users\your_user_name\appdata\Roaming\Factorio, depending on if you use XP or a newer version of Windows), you should be able to then use the upload attachment button to add it to your post. If it's too large (I think 3 or 5 MB is the forum limit) you can use a program like dropbox or upload it to a filesharing service like drop.io or mediafire.com and provide the link.

helpfully that helps :D

blackopsman9999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

I use the zip and here is the save (My second world)
https://www.mediafire.com/?1l5dvu50nnyl3c5
The name of the file is RHSDhr, not an error.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

ah, that was what should have come to mind, I knew I was forgetting something obvious :lol:
The inserters will not add any materials if the assembler already has some made, simply give them a place to put their items and they'll get back to work, for the circuit producer limit the amount of plastic bars being placed in the same chest and for the sulfuric acid add a storage tank as a buffer

blackopsman9999
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

But I was low on circuits on it was not making new ones, and doesn't it hold a full stack as a buffer?

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Assemblers will only keep a buffer of 2 or 3, furnaces will keep a buffer of whatever the stack size is...I'm not really certain why they're different (actually I'd guess because assembler recipes can be really expensive whereas you will almost never want furnaces to limit their production since what they do is give you resources rather than use them...), but even with a buffer if it can't output because the chest is full you'd still be 'low' (since they'd never get to where they need to be until the chest had a free slot for them to be placed in).

Return to “Gameplay Help”