What kind of chests do I use at a train station?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

What kind of chests do I use at a train station?

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

At first I put down steel chests but I have logistic robots so I put down storage chests. That worked until the robots started bringing surplus up from the factory below and filling all my train unloading area with all kinds of junk. So what kind of chest should I have next to the cargo cars?

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: What kind of chests do I use at a train station?

Post by Frightning »

For train unloading: Use Active provider chests, bots can never put items into these chests, but prioritize taking things out of them (either to Requestor chests requesting the given item or else Storage chests, provided of course that there is room for the items, or the case of the former, unfilled requests for that item).

For train loading: Use Requestor chests (and perhaps set them to request the desired item(s)).

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

So does each train stop have a place to unload trains and another place to load trains and both places have different chests?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It really depends how you want to set everything up. Sometimes you have loading and unloading at the same stop, sometimes they're separate, depends on your requirements.

Your situation seems to be confusion over the chests themselves, not the trains. Logistics bots will always try to take everything out of Active Provider Chests, if nothing is requesting the resource(s) it will be dumped into Storage Chests. Passive Provider Chests are left alone until something is requesting that resource, and take priority over Storage Chests. Both types of Provider chest can only be withdrawn from by logistics bots, they can't insert.

Storage Chests can be inserted and withdrawn from, as they're just a buffer to hold anything surplus that has either been deconstructed or put in Active Provider Chests.

SO if you want to load a train, use Requester Chests. If you want to unload a train, you're better off IMO using Passive Provider Chests but depending on the circumstance you might want Active Provider Chests. You CAN use both at the same station, just remember to use Stack Filter Inserters (or otherwise limit unloading) so they're not unloading what you're trying to load at the same time.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It really depends how you want to set everything up. Sometimes you have loading and unloading at the same stop, sometimes they're separate, depends on your requirements.

Your situation seems to be confusion over the chests themselves, not the trains. Logistics bots will always try to take everything out of Active Provider Chests, if nothing is requesting the resource(s) it will be dumped into Storage Chests. Passive Provider Chests are left alone until something is requesting that resource, and take priority over Storage Chests. Both types of Provider chest can only be withdrawn from by logistics bots, they can't insert.

Storage Chests can be inserted and withdrawn from, as they're just a buffer to hold anything surplus that has either been deconstructed or put in Active Provider Chests.

SO if you want to load a train, use Requester Chests. If you want to unload a train, you're better off IMO using Passive Provider Chests but depending on the circumstance you might want Active Provider Chests. You CAN use both at the same station, just remember to use Stack Filter Inserters (or otherwise limit unloading) so they're not unloading what you're trying to load at the same time.
Not true, Storage chests take priority over Passive provider chests, you are correct about Active provider chests being higher priority than Storage chests (and that items will be moved to Storage from Active providers). For unloading, using Passive providers means that you don't want the goods being brought in by train ending up in Storage chests (I do this w/ my Oil trains, for instance), whereas use Active provider chests if you do want Storage to act as a buffer if you are over-producing those goods (I do this w/ my ore trains for two reasons: First, I built most my Storage with the expressed purpose of storing excess ore production, but also, second: Since I have ore unloading stations that are meant to work w/ mixed ores, and any of my ore trains can use any of my unloading stations, I wanted to be sure that the unloading bay chests were unloaded first and wouldn't become flooded by an overproduced ore, blocking others that I actually need from being unloaded).

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Ah yes, my bad. Haven't used logistics in a while lol and when I do I tend to just load in products and dump them in storage.

I intend to do a logistic, no-belt run in 0.15 which will be fun ^^ no doubt I'll become very familiar with all the bot mechanics.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

henke37
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by henke37 »

Be careful with active provider chests. They can easily fill your entire storage if you aren't careful.

Return to “Gameplay Help”