No Power?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mallikanth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

No Power?

Post by Mallikanth »

I *believe* I set my first ever steam engine up correctly but there is no power. What am I missing?
http://imgur.com/WUxHNpo

Apologies for the possible numptiness of the question. Please excuse the noob. :oops:

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: No Power?

Post by BurnHard »

The temperatue is at 77° so I assume you have inserted coal or wood into the boiler...

(the ratio for boiler to engines is roughly 1.4:1. So you might place three boilers and 2 engines (14 boilers and 10 engines max with one pump)

Have you connected any machinery that uses power on the other end of the power lines? If no power is drawn, no power is produced.

You will want to have the "available performance" bar at max (that correspondends to water temperature) and the "performance" bar somewhere below 80%, if it reaches 100% percent it means your generators are at 100% load and produce too less energy.
Last edited by BurnHard on Tue May 20, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Are they connected to any machines that are using power? I'll assume not since the engine shows available power but still has a 'no connection' icon.
Just a friendly note but if you'd read the FAQ at the top of Help you'd have seen a link to the wiki's page about power production that lists "Did you connect the steam engine to the Electric network? If not, a flash is blinking (to show, that it is not connected)" as the first item under the Producing enough energy checklist. :D

Also as BurnHard said, max (and optimal) water temperature for boilers/steam engines is 100 degrees (more boilers may be needed :))

Mallikanth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mallikanth »

Thanks for the prompt replies folks.

The power lines are not yet connected to anything and yes, the boiler has fuel.
Boiler is at 100 Degrees, water supply to it is at max.
http://imgur.com/ohI3EG7

You won't believe how much I'm angry at myself for not seeing the FAQ regarding this (and no, I've yet to solve the issue).

Thanks again for any help folks.

BurnHard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BurnHard »

As said, the icon will disapear and the engine will start to produce power the moment you connect it to a machine that consumes electric energy.

Mallikanth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mallikanth »

BurnHard wrote:As said, the icon will disapear and the engine will start to produce power the moment you connect it to a machine that consumes electric energy.
Quite.

Many thanks to all who quickly came to the aid of an inept blind person :oops:

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Mallikanth wrote:
BurnHard wrote:As said, the icon will disapear and the engine will start to produce power the moment you connect it to a machine that consumes electric energy.
Quite.

Many thanks to all who quickly came to the aid of an inept blind person :oops:
It's never the player's fault. Adding some tooltips to all status icons to tell exactly what's going on would solve this issue completely.

Return to “Gameplay Help”