Requester boxes for robots to build out of

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Requester boxes for robots to build out of

Post by JoeSchmoe »

So I'm ready to start a new section of my base. I'd like to setup a requester box so my logistical robots can bring the bulk of the supplies close by. I would then like my construction robots to use those items to do their building. Any way to make this happen? Or do I just have to allow the construction bots to do the long hauling?

sillyfly
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Requester boxes for robots to build out of

Post by sillyfly »

Constructions robots will only pick items from storage or provider chests, as far as I'm aware.
You can use an inserter to move the items from the requester chest to a provider chest. maybe use a smart inserters and a few different chests to have only a few of each items available at a time.

JoeSchmoe
Inserter
Inserter

Post by JoeSchmoe »

sillyfly wrote:Constructions robots will only pick items from storage or provider chests, as far as I'm aware.
You can use an inserter to move the items from the requester chest to a provider chest. maybe use a smart inserters and a few different chests to have only a few of each items available at a time.
I tried that but it ends in an endless cycle. Drop into a requester, it moves to a provider, logistical robot moves it back to the requester.

hybird607
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by hybird607 »

Yes there is a way! I've used the method below as a way to supply remote bases via train. I don't think it would work that well if you are moving good within the same logistical network.

1) Requester Chest (request any one item you'd like to supply to your remote section)
2) Smart Inserter (connected to red/green network). Only works if Item X is below Y amount
2a) (ie. If Yellow Inserts is below 20)
3) Load into a neutral storage (train, iron chest)
4) Inserter to unload neutral storage (I generally load into a train with other items and therefore use a smart inserter).
4a) Unloaded into a smart chest (connected to red/green network).
5) Unload from smart chest into Provider chest.
5a) Ensure that you limit how much can be filled into the Provider chest.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Moved to help board.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

tralala
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tralala »

We need a different kind of smart chest: Storage chest with requester functionality. It would be supplied from provider and simple storage chests and would present its items to (pure) requester chests and bots.

GewaltSam
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by GewaltSam »

There is a manual method: request all the items you need, then build provider chests over the requester chests. I do that from time to time to clean out the stuff that got lost in storage.

But there really is a chest missing that requests items to a spot and then provides it to the logistic network. Couldn't find an easy solution; maybe active provider chests on factories, so you got everything into a central storage.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, @Gewaltsam, @tralala: you might add that a suggestion for that.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”