Graphics fix for Mac help

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Nukeman001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Graphics fix for Mac help

Post by Nukeman001 »

I am attempting to fix the graphics problem for my mac but I have never had to create an "empty config.ini file" before and could use some help. Been trying to figure it out for 3 days, this isn't exactly my forte.

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Graphics fix for Mac help

Post by Gammro »

Not entirely sure, but isn't it a matter of deleting the existing one so the game can create a file with the default settings?

Otherwise, downloading the .zip version and using the .ini in there is an alternative.
Ignore this

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Full graphics is the default, and sometimes you need to enable the low graphics setting manually for Mac. This is because the game could fail to load even the UI graphics correctly, so you can't operate the menus to set low graphics mode that way.

Anyway, the config.ini should be there if you have launched the game and quit (I think), so you just need to find it and edit it. Maybe someone should write a script to do this, would avoid a lot of hassle...

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

muzzy wrote:Anyway, the config.ini should be there if you have launched the game and quit (I think), so you just need to find it and edit it.
Mac version can sometimes fail to even create the config.ini file
muzzy wrote:Maybe someone should write a script to do this, would avoid a lot of hassle...
I've never used a mac or I'd do this...however from what I know the mac terminal (typically) is bash so I would think the terminal could be opened and this typed (the "s may need to be removed...I obviously can't test)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
echo "[graphics]" > ~/Library/Application\ Support/factorio/config/config.ini
echo "fullscreen=false" >> ~/Library/Application\ Support/factorio/config/config.ini
echo "low-graphics=true" >> ~/Library/Application\ Support/factorio/config/config.ini
The factorio path was taken from the wiki so I can only assume that is correct (maybe need the space escaped with a '\', .../Application\ Support/...?). If that does work then the script would probably be a simple file with those lines and #!/bin/bash at the top (with an extension of .sh) but it'd also need to be executable (not sure if mac allows you to set scripts executable from a gui, if not it's unlikely that someone who needed a script would know how to make the script executable from the terminal, chmod u+x "path_to_script/script.sh")

edit: added [graphics] and escaped the space in the path due to muzzy's post, also added the #!/bin/bash in case someone copy and pastes into a file...

muzzy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by muzzy »

Needs the "[graphics]" section there first too, and yes the space needs to be escaped. Other than that I suppose it'd work... Ugh, yes, this is probably more work than just fixing it manually :)

Nukeman001
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nukeman001 »

They patched it thankfully.

Johnman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnman »

Is this supposed to be fixed? I'm still having this problem.
The fix explained here works, but I'd rather not play with low graphics.

EDIT: I also get terrible lag spikes. All the console has to say is this every once in a while:

Code: Select all

factorio[786:507] void *NSMapGet(NSMapTable *, const void *): map table argument is NULL
Which I assume is not related.

MacOS 10.9.2
3.05 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB

Gammro
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Gammro »

Johnman wrote:Is this supposed to be fixed? I'm still having this problem.
MacOS 10.9.2
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Well, there's your problem, right now factorio needs AT LEAST 512 MB VRAM to run without requiring low graphics mode. The developers are looking into techniques to reduce memory usage, but I suspect that will probably be used so that more can be loaded into the same amount of VRAM. Essentially not reducing the minimum requirements.

Alas, the only available fix right now is for you to upgrade your system, 256 MB VRAM has been considered a low amount for at least 5 years now.
Ignore this

Johnman
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Johnman »

Gammro wrote:
Johnman wrote:Is this supposed to be fixed? I'm still having this problem.
MacOS 10.9.2
4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Well, there's your problem, right now factorio needs AT LEAST 512 MB VRAM to run without requiring low graphics mode. The developers are looking into techniques to reduce memory usage, but I suspect that will probably be used so that more can be loaded into the same amount of VRAM. Essentially not reducing the minimum requirements.

Alas, the only available fix right now is for you to upgrade your system, 256 MB VRAM has been considered a low amount for at least 5 years now.
Damn right. I didn't even know my work iMac was that old... I use that thing to work with Photoshop, After Effects and such. Macs are really made to last.
Anyway, I have a beefy PC at home, so all is good.

Return to “Gameplay Help”