Best wall defense setup?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
thetoolcrafter
Inserter
Inserter

Best wall defense setup?

Post by thetoolcrafter »

I am planning on making a world with loads of enemy bases (very high etc. on the world gen screen). However, i dont know a good wall defence i could use against them. How should i make an amazing wall defense? obviously 2 walls and some turrets wont be enough

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Best wall defense setup?

Post by kinnom »

apparently a gun + flamethrower combo is quite effective
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

ChurchOrganist
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ChurchOrganist »

Current state of the art defence is to use construction bots to repair and replace anything the biters damage or destroy working from a standalone network covering a section of wall.

They can then be supplied by a train that runs round dropping off supplies loaded at the main base.
Want to know where the biters chewing your power plant have come from??
Wondering where your next iron is going to come from??
You need Long Range Radar

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

If your base can provide the materials, a minefield managed by robots can stop most biter attacks short of behemoths before they reach your walls... behemoths just walk right through it though...

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Walls? Let me tell you about my walls Sir!

This screenshot shows my walls, with me holding the blueprint in front of it. When using the blueprint, I overlap the flamethrower at the end to line things up.
The walls go all around my base. There is a combination of lasers, turrets and flamethrowers. The latter are spaced so that their flames overlap.
There are two transporter belts, one for bullet-clips and other small stuff, the other to transport ores to my storages.
There is a bullet-chest in between the turrets. The purple inserter is connected to that chest with a red wire and stops after taking 30 clips from the belt.
A green wire is running from pole to pole and connects to each bullet-chest and also to the feeder of the clips. (Top right, red inserter). It makes sure all chests combined have a certain amount of clips.
Clips that weren't picked up from the belt go a full round and are put back in the storage chest, ready to be distributed when necessary.

Nothing gets through these defenses. They do require some repair every now and then though.
Hope that helps.
If I can figure out how to post a blueprint, I will. :)

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

Bushdoctor wrote: If I can figure out how to post a blueprint, I will. :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/DaveMcW/blueprint-string
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

thetoolcrafter
Inserter
Inserter

Post by thetoolcrafter »

Bushdoctor wrote:Walls? Let me tell you about my walls Sir!

This screenshot shows my walls, with me holding the blueprint in front of it. When using the blueprint, I overlap the flamethrower at the end to line things up.
The walls go all around my base. There is a combination of lasers, turrets and flamethrowers. The latter are spaced so that their flames overlap.
There are two transporter belts, one for bullet-clips and other small stuff, the other to transport ores to my storages.
There is a bullet-chest in between the turrets. The purple inserter is connected to that chest with a red wire and stops after taking 30 clips from the belt.
A green wire is running from pole to pole and connects to each bullet-chest and also to the feeder of the clips. (Top right, red inserter). It makes sure all chests combined have a certain amount of clips.
Clips that weren't picked up from the belt go a full round and are put back in the storage chest, ready to be distributed when necessary.

Nothing gets through these defenses. They do require some repair every now and then though.
Hope that helps.
If I can figure out how to post a blueprint, I will. :)

Thank you so much! I will definitely be using this setup

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

kinnom wrote:
Bushdoctor wrote: If I can figure out how to post a blueprint, I will. :)
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/DaveMcW/blueprint-string
Thanks man. I was already using that mod, but somehow didn't realize I could just post the content of the txt files here.

Defense Wall - Straight

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/9WY3W6jOhDHX6XiGq+AAMmqy5OsVhELTmqJ2MiY7elBvPtxkh6lxMYeM1fbmzbNjD0f//nZ0IqXTjR193KsJsoVU4wO1TTx+kKraFCCU/Je
d10U92LQXwpeTf9UJP0ef1Qkm+fYa3kAW+7BliXYsgBb5mDLHdgyA1smYMsUagluEbhD4LKDOwluD7g74ObAewM0hLYQuh40QGhpoJWB9gSqBqgYoDKE6ho8
U+CRAs8zGBFg6oCRByYeGMwGl0+d/qXepHinkqhRSqoMlH+7hpE8fC60ZeOF0I42SrKG9KKjNqonc9wIzrWV/rc+iH5GafSrms6SUm11P6E+jqyt8mK+/vy/
flcPq8HsbsGQ5FvxsD+P3G793WI8XHRRiM66t8I4fVgyrsNQVNoIm85xy+Q9syoLqcwhqDDa8uvHcvGxSBZlexeipZw0b3R4LsT+M2bbrpK2yz33eklvj06s
06UhKzXa35N8lCi/bq2k6I6/6Vv9hwlZTQ2TzcjUUX/TfrqemBzUcWBnXnfVpD76axsUvUTxfdeeUdkwfiZSjLwdyKU+1/8yTqNbaoOquap2if770teyVnqX
6Ec0A/Mub/ndE7temxhv6ZXwvq29iikNxZR+7eYW7QLklQXO3UJPJXQMk4DBeh6rtYxtk70u6TJA0UVhVfRTuk5Fl3+hoIscLWi/4IoQvRVLnOkAv34s00U/
7I0oHPRdU9bBoiz76nvHpK7qO3kSuL9oNxd41ZbUL3PglKaZJW/veZ+W4cd9GnSoPfW5Zz0lSpDzTYe2Z9OVdp/qQRElaz70Qirym3bGbeHqnW32PqC89+ve
7pTL55TLkG1LVNA5qtw5au/C461LReW9ZKv+y7rFn8Dl/aiikFB2qER2qCJmqL2z9b3dqktQQaeooBNk51MjdkfnPYsd1tYSowqUEYo+Dvg4G2kAM4QeBnpC
It5jnTfXCsU8FLRQvDSAFeqMmBmTUfaRcWrNARt/AijG+iDpzt5k3cqMu5GJmDQf8dy8RDhjWmZiNswXE/NWX8yAYs5xjLoxRMIQHMMjH458MW/13XhMmqd8
CD/Mk27jTdN36rnDsNzZNnAMc2Hw3txczpjrkeue63dGgQxDI+892dNwk2YbhYd6RkE956GerVxPty6Nm8+GIZs62Obc1IBMyGRhXj7Y3j3MMWtu72Wm9beR
toW13/214TzPr5KqUfKX4yvl7X/xQ/uxbSAAAA==
Defense Wall - Corner

Code: Select all

H4sIAAAAAAAA/6WW247bIBCGXyXytVkZsNNKK56kqiLXnqZIBCxMlI0sv3uBVOrmYO9gcrNK9v+YEzNMb3bKdK3aHcQE2kknYRTTpNsTiOJ3OzribKvHwVhH
foFyRTmY0auMFtOHoOVVkP1c9tJCF3+s5zIJbl7Dqh3BEne2Fh4o/tYErn5rZrwpluMnW/FzdEYDubRK3TPNzSBOlxJJFQC+MZII1znluoP3ifBWt9kTnGCZ
rcS8WhWOrF6dUL2YBpZTPZoDb7VMVywPcgDiDDlac9b9i9wvGVX+j/tjzWWp0QNcfW7z1TIwpI4mlIsEgm68eGSfA9e5cLWx1oQ/wimW+aPbKZZpTswsx22a
A7MMt6sMNiddTwEnjpKFZJ2gl+cTAeX/Y2VHBqPguau9053R+kb7beNHQYufYjpaAK+5rSHXg+xFU83h83nUPA8Yimv8CidLGg+hw9nWa9Msw8vbT9h7PMeT
tp84Dzb7yZfhr8sdm4Nn1HvpaYkH37nF8E9LeFaiXwmR0JRA6m/+5P9f+fcv7jGNwaC337vyv+4K5HOIlCF2odgMiMc63nuMjiN1NVJHkTqG0yGPq3AyZLBI
30KKa5wMcdq/BM+l7OKtn0Z51K0Sk7sOHpMOTkW5PE08p3v4CJN1fvcX+mz17vAOuv8LDN3ARnsOAAA=
Last edited by Bushdoctor on Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nobodx
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by nobodx »

That's my central base defense => Image

JinM
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by JinM »

Hi guys first time I post here. After my third start in Factorio with a big factory after 20 hours of gameplay, I was curious about other defensive designs because I like the sort of castle-builder feeling. Well, there are some, but not a lot of wall designs out there after googling, thus I found this thread.

I wanted to have this "heavily guarded thick border" feeling, so I put some aesthetical effort into my two designs. The one chest in the designs is a requester chest for 100 piercing rounds ammo. The range of the laser turrets barely overlap from one post to the other one. So if biters come, they allways get aggroed to one guarding post, and no area in front of the wall is uncovered. I can walk a few meter in front of my wall without taking any attacks from the bugs. The repeating pattern is laid out, so that the logistic network of the roboports allways touch and so every part of the wall is repaired if the bugs manage to come close.

I'm not absolutely satisfied with the design, because the flamethrower turret should be installed a few more meter behind the laser and gun turrets imho for saving that precious oil and environment. =)

First wall design "eco friendly" =)
20170207220023_1.jpg (614.6 KiB) Viewed 36195 times
Upgraded one:
Upgraded wall design.
Upgraded wall design.
20170209182518_1.jpg (659.39 KiB) Viewed 36195 times
Blueprint for recreation
Blueprint for refference.
Blueprint for refference.
20170209182531_1.jpg (594.19 KiB) Viewed 36195 times
edit: figured out how to post images with this forum software =)

Return to “Gameplay Help”