Personal batteries' output power

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Personal batteries' output power

Post by Avezo »

I couldn't find it anywhere. What is power of MK2 batteries? Not their CAPACITY, but OUTPUT POWER as fusion reactors have?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Personal batteries' output power

Post by kinnom »

Code: Select all

output_flow_limit = "1GW",
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

How can this be true? With 100MJ capacity and 1GW power, it would make full MK2 battery depleted in 0.1 second when there is demand for power. Unless htere are limits on power input for armor components? Leaving alone that it would make batteries power-wise much more powerful over fusion reactors with 0.75 GW yet with so much less space taken in armor grid.

If it's all true, using anything more than a single fusion reactor is a waste and stacking batteries is a way to go, I guess?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by kinnom »

for low amounts of time, yes, but in long term battles the reactors would win because they keep producing enrgy.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

Avezo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Avezo »

If we compare space taken by a single fusion reactor and MK2 batteries (assuming they really are 1 GW) and take into account the fact that you don't fight biters all the time and have time to recharge inbetween, it still puts batteries at huge advantage. It's just hard to believe it's all true.

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Avezo wrote:If we compare space taken by a single fusion reactor and MK2 batteries (assuming they really are 1 GW) and take into account the fact that you don't fight biters all the time and have time to recharge inbetween, it still puts batteries at huge advantage. It's just hard to believe it's all true.
Remember, the output of the battery is how fast it can drained. In practice, as long as that number is high enough, what really matters is the capacity, which is 500MJ, or 500MW for 1 second. A fusion reactor takes the space of 8 batteries, but produces a constant 750MW, so 16/3=5.(3)...secs, the Fusion reactor has produced as much as energy as the Battery mk2s that would fit in its place can hold. Besides, in Power armor mk2, you can fit 4 Fusion reactors with 9 Energy shield mk2s, and only all 9 shields needing to recharge at once (happens only when below 11.(1)% of max shield cap) can overdraw power from the Fusion reactors (i.e. 4 Fusion reactors can power 8 Energy shield mk2s recharging at the same time). With this in mind, I actually don't bother with using Battery mk2s in my Power armor mk2 for combat).

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

I'm digging this one up as I think this needs to be balanced properly. The Mk1 battery has an output of 200MW and the Mk2, 1GW. With numbers this high, we end up with discussions like the one here in this thread. The personal fussion reactor should be really sought for if the player is looking for intense combat, more than one Exoskeleton or more than two roboports; everything under than that, a propper mix of solar panels and batteries should suffice.

BTW, I would love to have a mod that adds durability to the equipment, or just a chance to have some of the equipment destroyed when hit, including the weapons

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

wat.

The extreme power limit means that your devices can always stay powered. Devices will drain whatever they need from the batteries and nothing more. This should have been obvious when
it would make full MK2 battery depleted in 0.1 second when there is demand for power
has no connection to the reality of how long batteries last.

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

bobucles wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:50 pm
wat.

The extreme power limit means that your devices can always stay powered. Devices will drain whatever they need from the batteries and nothing more. This should have been obvious when
it would make full MK2 battery depleted in 0.1 second when there is demand for power
has no connection to the reality of how long batteries last.
The why does the accumulators have such a limited power output?

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I therefore submit the proposal that all batteries should have their output set to 1.21 JW, to be competitive with fusion reactors !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

leadraven
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by leadraven »

I agree that both capacity and throughput (~unlimited) of personal batteries need some attention.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

(I was joking.)

I would be fine with personal batteries having, for all purposes, unlimited power.

(As already mentioned, you can only use it for a fraction of second anyway - the big difference with accumulators, is that you cannot have an unlimited amount of batteries in your armor !)

I'm more concerned about Mk1 batteries having barely better energy/tile storage than Mk1 roboports...

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:07 am
(I was joking.)

I would be fine with personal batteries having, for all purposes, unlimited power.

(As already mentioned, you can only use it for a fraction of second anyway - the big difference with accumulators, is that you cannot have an unlimited amount of batteries in your armor !)

I'm more concerned about Mk1 batteries having barely better energy/tile storage than Mk1 roboports...
The thing is, not all equipment should be able to run on just one battery, 2 minimun to run just the basics, nightvision, four to run one roboport, etc. Mk1 batteries should have the output of half a dozen or so of solar panels, now that they were adusted to 30kw. Mk2's, having 5 times the storage, shoud be 2 or 3 times the output, but ot higher.

Right now, the player can spam solar panels in the armor, and swap them for batteries one by one as they fill up, finishing with the desired equipment, leaving just one solar panel. This setup pretty much works way into the late game without the need of the fussion reactor. And it gets even easier with the Mk1 and Mk2 power armor

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Are you suggesting to rebalance what the robots consume too?
because, right now, with your suggestion of 1 battery = 6 solar panels, this makes for 6 x 30 KW = 180 KW per battery.
And while on one hand NightVision only consumes 10 KW, so a single battery would be more than enough,
a Mk1 RoboPort can deliver up to 2 000 KW to 2 robots ! (and actually consume 3 500 KW)
Four 180 KW batteries would only cover 720 KW, a bit more than a third of a roboport !
(Currently, 4 batteries last only 40 seconds at the rate of 2 000 KW, add an extra 17.5 seconds for the Roboport storage itself...)

EstebanLB
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EstebanLB »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:25 pm
Are you suggesting to rebalance what the robots consume too?
because, right now, with your suggestion of 1 battery = 6 solar panels, this makes for 6 x 30 KW = 180 KW per battery.
And while on one hand NightVision only consumes 10 KW, so a single battery would be more than enough,
a Mk1 RoboPort can deliver up to 2 000 KW to 2 robots ! (and actually consume 3 500 KW)
Four 180 KW batteries would only cover 720 KW, a bit more than a third of a roboport !
(Currently, 4 batteries last only 40 seconds at the rate of 2 000 KW, add an extra 17.5 seconds for the Roboport storage itself...)
Then make it 6 or 8 batteries for a roboport, it doesn't need to be fully powered all the time, that's what the internal buffer is for

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

EstebanLB wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:06 pm
The why does the accumulators have such a limited power output?
Because it's possible to build things for different uses. An accumulator is an industrial building for regulating the usage of large amounts of power over long periods of time. It's a very different usage than the battery for power armor that's designed for high storage and very high output. The differences in outcome are well represented by the vast increase in cost between the two. It's also a pretty standard outcome when talking about military items compared to civilian.

It's like asking why does a fighter jet fly faster than an airliner. They're built to very different specifications due to having very different usages.

Return to “Gameplay Help”