A simple train crossing...

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SiC
Inserter
Inserter

A simple train crossing...

Post by SiC »

Please for the love of God, can you explain to me how to set up a simple train crossing? All I want is a simple + shape.

There's two different tracks that need to cross, but who don't end up in the same station. One train is going north/south, the other west/east, and they both loop around at both ends so they go up and down the same track. So all I want to do is make sure they don't ram eachother at the intersection. But for the life of me, I've tried so many things and they still all seem to fail.

Plenty of tutorials out there but they immediately jump to things that seem even more complex and for which I have no need at the moment. Especially if I can't figure out this one simple thing. Can you guys explain to me, step by step, what to place, and where to place it?

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: A simple train crossing...

Post by Mr. Tact »

The basic thing I remember and use is this -- When tracks cross: Before the crossing, use a conditional signal; After the crossing use a standard rail signal.

If you cross two sets of tracks -- it would be conditional, crossing, conditional, crossing, standard rail signal.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Mehve
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mehve »

Hopefully I understand the description of your setup properly. Depending on whether you're running single track or one lane for each direction, this is how you'd let two (independent) tracks cross each other:
Single lane intersection
Two lane intersection
The basic premise is that a chain signal will NOT let a train proceed until the following regular signal is clear. Thus, you want them at the beginning/middle of intersections, to keep a train from entering until it's certain that there's a pathway out on the far side.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by impetus maximus »

or for you left side drive folks like myself. (makes networking signals neater)
left side drive crossing

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

https://youtu.be/3ZiL7_vfJtQ?t=544
This tutorial (I linked right where crossings are described) is really good and aimed at beginners with trains. Every time i have to do anything more complicated than a single train track, I have to get back and watchit.
Yes, I'm a forever noob in trains, although hundreds hours of gameplay :lol:
https://youtu.be/3ZiL7_vfJtQ?t=1080 this is a give on a 2x2 crossing. The only thing is it's diagonal and not north/south/east/west.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Acarin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Acarin »

I have also found this to be a really good guide from complete rail noobishness to reasonably advanced network design principles

https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ts_23_and/

SiC
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SiC »

Mehve wrote:Hopefully I understand the description of your setup properly. Depending on whether you're running single track or one lane for each direction, this is how you'd let two (independent) tracks cross each other:
Single lane intersection
Two lane intersection
The basic premise is that a chain signal will NOT let a train proceed until the following regular signal is clear. Thus, you want them at the beginning/middle of intersections, to keep a train from entering until it's certain that there's a pathway out on the far side.

Thanks to everyone for the tips! The single lane intersection above is what I was looking for. I managed to get it to work now, thanks!

Return to “Gameplay Help”