Stone extremely rare?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Lkgv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Stone extremely rare?

Post by Lkgv »

Hi

So stone is extremely rare, almost more rare than oil. In the map generation options the "very big" stone size is as big as iron and coper's "very small" size. In my 2 games with normal settings I was able to find a few pieces of stones, and then in all the chunks scanned by the radars there were maybe 5 stone tiles :shock: So I was unable to build walls, new furnaces and rails...

I'm not sure if it's a bug or a design choice... Is it supposed to be like that?
Last edited by Lkgv on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

just_dont
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Stone extremely rare?

Post by just_dont »

While starting area tries to provide you with all resources, the quantity is not guaranteed. Try exploring or restarting to get a different map.
Stone deposits are only marginally smaller than the iron/copper. "Very big" deposit size can generate you a single deposit worth of several hundreds thousands of units.

PS: "Deposit size" setting in map gen does not guarantee you large deposits. It simply allows the possibility. Smaller deposits will be generated as well.
PPS: Just so you know. This is a "big" deposit. It doesn't go much larger than this. "Very big", however, can be much larger.
Factorio 2014-04-25 01-55-49-05.jpg
Factorio 2014-04-25 01-55-49-05.jpg (545.54 KiB) Viewed 3012 times

Lkgv
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Stone extremely rare?

Post by Lkgv »

But the stones deposit never get bigger than 5x5. I just walked for 15 minutes on a map with all deposits set to "very big", here's the result:

http://i.imgur.com/jam7mPf.png

See, all the stone deposits are extremely small... But now that I think of it, stone is used only to create 3 items, so that's probably why they're so small. I think I was unlucky to not find any stone deposit in my current game... this map would have enough (tens of thousands) to build all the rails and walls I want.

So, nevermind, my question was stupid, they're so small because stone isn't needed as much as copper and iron.

Return to “Gameplay Help”