controlling train loading

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

controlling train loading

Post by goertzenator »

Is there a way to control train loading? For example, I want to load only 2 stacks of iron plates onto a train car, and no more.

I want to experiment with using very short haul trains to move materials around my factory, and I will need good loading control to make that work.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: controlling train loading

Post by ssilk »

Currently not, or let it say so: there is no effective way. But it is planned, but not sure, if that includes also the car, but this is an important point.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

haunted_1
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by haunted_1 »

You can fill the slots, you dont wanna use, with junk (wood or stone) and then use smart insterters for unloading your stuff but it doesnt make sense to do so and i agree that there should be something like the inventory filters for the trains.

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goertzenator »

I guess for the time being I would have to use only 1 item type per car. For example, at the gear making train stop iron plate gets unloaded from car 1 and gears get loaded into car 2. Cars being rather large, this isn't amenable to compact factories.

Idea: perhaps there should be mini-versions of the cargo cars? Say 1/4 length. Maybe mini locomotives too with a focus on acceleration at the expense of top speed.

jeroon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by jeroon »

Maybe you can use requester chests from which you load the train, have them only request 2 stacks, and have your storage/provider chests far far away, so the train gets loaded with the 2 stacks that were in the requester chests, and when the bots come to refill the chests, the train has already left.

goertzenator
Inserter
Inserter

Post by goertzenator »

jeroon wrote:Maybe you can use requester chests from which you load the train, have them only request 2 stacks, and have your storage/provider chests far far away, so the train gets loaded with the 2 stacks that were in the requester chests, and when the bots come to refill the chests, the train has already left.
Good idea, but the trouble with that is if your train shows up to the station with 2 stacks on board already. You would need a separate station to unload everything first, and then you could advance to the loader station.

Choumiko
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Choumiko »

I came up with a solution here: https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=8&t=2906

But as ssilk said: it's neither efficient nor compact :D
I think it can be adjusted to add a delay before the loading starts to allow unloading, so the wagon doesn't get filled with one item type.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Yes, but don't forget, that you need to guarantee the unloading at the other station!

I think the best suggestion is that by haunted_1: put junk into the stacks.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

slay_mithos
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by slay_mithos »

I tend to use 1 train per item, or at least 1 wagon per item.

It makes trains longer, and after the third/fourth wagon, you might want a second locomotive too, but it makes loading and unloading both easier and cleaner, because you always know what goes where.

One way to "limit" loading depending on the unloading station's storage is through using red or green wires and smart chest/inserter combos.

Sure, it won't check inside the train, but it will limit the number of times your stuff is loaded/unloaded.
If done correctly, it should be quite close to what you were trying to do.

Return to “Gameplay Help”