How to force recalculation of train paths?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How to force recalculation of train paths?

Post by impetus maximus »

Deadly-Bagel, i removed the chain signals and replaced them with standard signals.
wired the five lane entrance signals to a red wire, and strung it to poles to the two faux-chain signal as you called it.
kept the output signals normal. the faux-chain signals are set to RED > 4 close signal.

seems to be working so far. when it goes green they go to an open lane. haven't seen one jam up yet :)
might just ditch chain signals all together till they get fixed/reworked.

cheers

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

No worries =) Glad it helped.

As for blue chain signal, it means at least one exit is free but others are not. Not sure exactly what the problem is but the reason I designed that faux-chain signal thing is because another user had a problem where one of his loading bays would free up, the train would ignore it altogether.

So what I suspect is happening is that northbound rail just after your chain signal was open, which for some reason allows the train to move on. Perhaps chain signals were not designed for use with multiple outputs like this, or it could be it's just checking -a- route to the destination is available but not recalculating or whatever when it passes the signal. It's a weird one to be sure.

EDIT: Confirmed the behaviour. Train will NOT pass a blue signal unless an exit to its destination is free. However, if it's picked a route and a different exit is free, it will keep going on its original route. Interestingly this only seems to happen if the train has picked its route before its desired path is blocked, otherwise it works as expected.

EDIT: Derp, sleep deprived lol. In my tests I was placing the train too far forward so it was already past the chain signal, or at least the point it would stop for it. Trains should only ever pass a blue signal if it doesn't think its exit is free so I have no idea what you're doing in your setup to get around that, if you can replicate it submit a bug report.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

ok i have a save set up with the chain signal problem of trains entering a block then passing a green lane and stopping at a red signal. (dead lock)
[edit]can i upload the save without sharing login info etc? :? stupid question. devs are smarter than that!
rails.zip
that save if you run it (0.13.20) will have the trains coming from the bypass on the right, going through a blue signal.
passing a green lane, and stopping at a blocked one. dead locking the system. the train exiting the unload station
by the stacker does some odd things. it refuses to leave the station. hitting F4 and enabling 'show rail paths'
showed it's path was set to leave east on the west bound side of the one way side of the bypass. :|
two lanes are one way, with the lane in the middle being two way. selecting the train that is stuck at the station
and clicking "go to station" will send it on it's way.

the debugger (F4) it great for showing what trains are "thinking". when the train is approaching the stackker it will change which
lane it is going into while in the block before it. also note how i have 'show train signals' selected but not all are circled?
F4.debug.rail.jpg
it won't take long for a train to pull up to the stacker, pass an open lane, and jam the system.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Okay that is really weird.. Post it in the bug forums and they should be able to find out what's going on.

Seems you can avoid the problem by putting a pair of opposing chain signals just before the junction leading to the loading bays.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

ok i'll work on putting a bug report together. i tried putting a chain signal before the lanes but a train would end up stopping at it dead locking.
[edit]did a search and submitted a report. turns out it's been reported already.
Last edited by impetus maximus on Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I mean at the point just before the yellow (is it green? /colourblind) line and white line join in your last screenshot.

impetus maximus
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Deadly-Bagel wrote:I mean at the point just before the yellow (is it green? /colourblind) line and white line join in your last screenshot.
oh, i could try one there. [edit] yup... just as i thought.
the train leaves the bypass and blocks the main line even though there is an open lane in the stacker.

GeniusIsme
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by GeniusIsme »

Don't build ordinary signals on exits from shared track. Trains will stop there and block. Place ordinary signals only in places where you believe trains can wait forever without blocking the system.

lpw
Inserter
Inserter

Post by lpw »

GeniusIsme wrote:Don't build ordinary signals on exits from shared track. Trains will stop there and block. Place ordinary signals only in places where you believe trains can wait forever without blocking the system.
If you put chain signals at the entrances of the shared track this shouldn't hold true.

Return to “Gameplay Help”