look for backup for "low power" situation

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

look for backup for "low power" situation

Post by brunzenstein »

Im looking for a emergency solution if power gets low. In a form that a existing but idle coal based power unit can be switched on on demand automatically via the water pump.
Problem is, that the water pump is auto switched on when in contact with water - has anyone a solution?

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: look for backup for "low power" situation

Post by LazyLoneLion »

put an electric pump (or four) after the offshore pump?

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

You can connect the Offshore Pump to the circuit network and use a network condition to turn it on.

This normally involves a smart chest and inserters taking things out, and another inserter putting things back in - that inserter is on the main grid so if the power goes out the chest gets emptied and the circuit condition becomes true.

http://imgur.com/a/8PhAI

There are also a few other possible circuit network conditions you can use, you can use a water pump pushing water around a loop, if the pump slows down due to low power the level of water in the tank changes and you can use the water level on the circuit network:

In that case I've pumped some water into the water tank, then set up the loop. When the small pump is running the tank is filled up to a level of 174, when the power starts to falter the small pump ceases to pump so effectively and more water accumulates in the loop, the level in the tank drops to 173 (or less) which then triggers the offshore pump. Methods using inserters generally require separate power grids. Methods using small pumps generally don't. Small pumps are extremely responsive meaning the powerplant will tend to rapidly cycle on and off as it responds to it's own generation.

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

https://i.imgur.com/KXp0EIp.jpg
found on https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... p_instant/

There is also a description how it works and how to connect stuff. Quit simple.

StarFox31
Inserter
Inserter

Post by StarFox31 »

BlakeMW wrote:You can connect the Offshore Pump to the circuit network and use a network condition to turn it on.

This normally involves a smart chest and inserters taking things out, and another inserter putting things back in - that inserter is on the main grid so if the power goes out the chest gets emptied and the circuit condition becomes true.

http://imgur.com/a/8PhAI

There are also a few other possible circuit network conditions you can use, you can use a water pump pushing water around a loop, if the pump slows down due to low power the level of water in the tank changes and you can use the water level on the circuit network:

In that case I've pumped some water into the water tank, then set up the loop. When the small pump is running the tank is filled up to a level of 174, when the power starts to falter the small pump ceases to pump so effectively and more water accumulates in the loop, the level in the tank drops to 173 (or less) which then triggers the offshore pump. Methods using inserters generally require separate power grids. Methods using small pumps generally don't. Small pumps are extremely responsive meaning the powerplant will tend to rapidly cycle on and off as it responds to it's own generation.

I love this one. I am definitely going to set this up in my base.

Return to “Gameplay Help”