Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by eradicator »

Snowise wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:28 pm
I've just built my first train and I wanted to use a double headed train to just "bounce" between my main base and a little base that makes plastic.

I have laid a line of track which has a station at of each end. I have put a two trains on the track linked with a cargo wagon. < train - wagon - train >

If I click on the train and click to add station one of the stations is saying "The station is not accessible from the current position".

Do I need signals to get it working?

Thanks
Sounds like either both locomotives or both train stops are facing the same direction. Signals are not required on a simple straight track with just one train.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I've used game.check_prototype_translations() in on_init() to check whether there is a translation for all the keys I use in my mod. Now I want to do the reverse: prune the locale file by finding all localizations that are never referenced. Is that possible somehow?
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Pi-C wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:32 am
I've used game.check_prototype_translations() in on_init() to check whether there is a translation for all the keys I use in my mod. Now I want to do the reverse: prune the locale file by finding all localizations that are never referenced. Is that possible somehow?
Localised strings can be generated at runtime, possibly with random input. Thus it's impossible to know if a string in any locale.cfg is ever used or not.

If you just want a rough hint, i guess you could write an external script that compares locale.cfg's with a dump of all recipe/item/entity/etc names. Has to be external becaues the API doesn't have game.all_localised_strings or anything like that.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

eradicator wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:44 am
If you just want a rough hint, i guess you could write an external script that compares locale.cfg's with a dump of all recipe/item/entity/etc names. Has to be external becaues the API doesn't have game.all_localised_strings or anything like that.
I'll probably do that, thanks!
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Masquerade
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Masquerade »

Hi! Please tell me why the railway station does not send train id to the network? What am I doing wrong?

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Masquerade wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:29 pm
Hi! Please tell me why the railway station does not send train id to the network? What am I doing wrong?
Train has to be stopped at Train Stop due to its schedule execution. It does not work in Manual mode

Masquerade
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Masquerade »

boskid wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:33 pm
Masquerade wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:29 pm
Train has to be stopped at Train Stop due to its schedule execution. It does not work in Manual mode
Oh thank you very much! Really works.

kitters
Inserter
Inserter

Post by kitters »

Hi everyone.
First time i started mass production, ups began to drop.
So, I learned all info i could get about it. Seems like no need to replace belts with underground after the patch, right?

And one more question, are bots still more ups-friendly than belts or belts became better than bots?

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

kitters wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm
Hi everyone.
First time i started mass production, ups began to drop.
So, I learned all info i could get about it. Seems like no need to replace belts with underground after the patch, right?

And one more question, are bots still more ups-friendly than belts or belts became better than bots?
By default f5 shows debug info for what's taking time but there's some overlap with other text, F4, under the "debug" tab, can show you less.

It probably matters how your base is set up, and if you're using mods (increase belt/inserter speed, loaders, bots carry more/go faster/more battery/faster recharge). I can't be more helpful than that, I don't megabase.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

kitters wrote:
Yes. Underground belts are not inheritely cheaper anymore since like what... 0.15?
kitters wrote:
The largest 60 UPS base that i know of is belt based. But if you don't plan to get into an extreme level of micro optimization and learn all the tricks then bots are probably still easier.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:37 pm
Yes. Underground belts are not inheritely cheaper anymore since like what... 0.15?
The only note I'd add is, you can still carry a lot more length with uggies, even the yellow ones.

Tonykov
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tonykov »

Hello!
What does "Protect empty teams" mean? (Create multiplayer server -> PvP configuration -> "Game Settings" tab -> "Protect empty teams" check box).

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Tonykov wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:32 pm
Hello!
What does "Protect empty teams" mean? (Create multiplayer server -> PvP configuration -> "Game Settings" tab -> "Protect empty teams" check box).
This setting will make the base of a team to be protected when no players from that team are online. I am not sure about the exact dynamics though, whether it will prevent other teams from entering, or whether it prevents other teams from damaging. There should be additional helping text upon hovering over that option.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I’m looking for a way calling a waiting train from a stacker as soon as there is enough material at the loading, unload an then send him back to his waiting position.

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:22 pm
I’m looking for a way calling a waiting train from a stacker as soon as there is enough material at the loading, unload an then send him back to his waiting position.
Try the Train Supply Manager mod

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/train-pubsub

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Serenity wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:26 pm
brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:22 pm
Try the Train Supply Manager mod

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/train-pubsub
Thank you. But:Actually I want to use and learn how to build such a solution with a combinator setup.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm
Thank you. But:Actually I want to use and learn how to build such a solution with a combinator setup.
In this case, I recommend this YouTue-series by avaak. Episode 5 or 6 is where he starts on the train network. It's a bit dated (for Factorio 0.16), but combinator setup hasn't changed much since. :-)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Pi-C wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:01 pm
brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm
In this case, I recommend this YouTue-series by avaak. Episode 5 or 6 is where he starts on the train network. It's a bit dated (for Factorio 0.16), but combinator setup hasn't changed much since. :-)
Thanks for the recommendation

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

This one is more recent, and another way to manage trains in vanilla.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KstIlP92Vis

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

I've an entity based on the flamethrower. I want it to be able to use one of two possible fluids (exchanging fluids works once the fluidbox has been emptied). To make things both complicated: the two fluids look differently (so I've recolored the stream graphics for one of them) and do different damage. Is it possible to set different streams in the prototype, so that the one matching fluid A will be used if the turret contains fluid A, and the other one if it contains fluid B?

I guess I could do some trickery in the control stage (replacing entities depending on its contents), but it would be much cheaper if I could do everything with just one prototype.

Return to “Gameplay Help”