Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Ralph
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Ralph »

That's what I have done as well. So I guess it's a normal gameplay feature...

Thanks !

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Ralph wrote:I have noticed that my stack inserters won't insert items in a train wagon if it's not a multiple of their stack size.

For example, if they need to fill only 3 belts, and have a stack size of 5, they won't proceed and keep stuck. Is that normal ?
If you do it with only 1 inserter they will do it no problem.
If you do it with multiple inserters (you usually do) in the end many of them grab full stack and start turning, when they reach wagon some of them would already fill the space and inserter can't fit its stack and will stuck until it can. However at that point there is another inserter which was able to see how many exactly items are missing and they will grab only this number and will fit them into a wagon.
So when the next train arrives stuck inserters will drop their items into the wagon right away.
This is normal behaviour, at least not a bug but by design. There were some requests to change this behaviour but it is a bit too complicated to actually fix this as inserters are not aware of each other.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

You can at least work around it now by detecting the number of slots available in a train for specific items and configuring your Inserters to selectively disable and then set Stack Size accordingly so they'll transfer exactly the required number and then stop.

Kinda tricky if you're loading multiple items with different stack sizes but that's kinda the nature of the game isn't it =P
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

stictt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by stictt »

Hello. I'm looking for different schemes of the nuclear reactor and options for its layout, and I wondered if there are energy losses when we transfer heat by heat pipes. If the answer is, please forgive me, it's hard for me to find it, I'm writing to you through Google translator. https://wiki.factorio.com/Heat_pipe

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

stictt wrote:Hello. I'm looking for different schemes of the nuclear reactor and options for its layout, and I wondered if there are energy losses when we transfer heat by heat pipes. If the answer is, please forgive me, it's hard for me to find it, I'm writing to you through Google translator. https://wiki.factorio.com/Heat_pipe
The short answer is yes, there are losses of heat with heat pipes. Not like it is direct loss of power but...
The physics here is about effectivity of heat transfer. Every heat pipe fragment transfers heat to nearby tiles with some delay/loss resulting in every next tile being less hot then one near reactor. The effect is simulated using "fluid mechanics" with resistance. This means that long heat pipes will result dramatic temperature loss and it may drop below 500 degrees which is required by heat exchanger to function.
Along with natural heat pipe temperature loss pipes will effectively lose temperature on heat exchangers (obviously) so it is quite a task to feed heat exchangers effectively.

Long story short you need as few heat pipes as possible. Also making a double row of heat pipes is somewhat more effective then a single row allowing more heat transfer in this direction.

Purplekief
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Purplekief »

Small question regarding trains.

I have a train that picks up materails at a couple different pickup locations, and needs to drop them at certain output locations. Let's say the train has just made it's first run, went back to the pickup and headed out again. IF the chests where it's supposed to off-load next are full, will the train continue on it's path to the next drop-off or will it get stuck waiting for available space in the chest?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Purplekief wrote:Small question regarding trains.

I have a train that picks up materails at a couple different pickup locations, and needs to drop them at certain output locations. Let's say the train has just made it's first run, went back to the pickup and headed out again. IF the chests where it's supposed to off-load next are full, will the train continue on it's path to the next drop-off or will it get stuck waiting for available space in the chest?
The train will continue on its path when ever the conditions for leaving are met, so you either have to have conditions in place to make sure that the train can never completely stall when it can not load/unload enough, or you can filter the cargo wagon inventory so there is always enough space.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

You have to think about leaving conditions. As said train will leave as soon as condition is met.

Usually on unload station you set something like "Empty Cargo Inventory" which effectively means that train will stay until all wagons are completely emptied.
Here you can go for 2 different routes.
You might make the condition more complex by adding "OR Time passed=15 seconds" which will force train to leave within 15 secons no matter how much cargo is still in the wagons.
Or you can go even further and introduce some circuit network logic by calculating the total amount of items in the station chests and based on that make train leave. For this Station must be connected to circuit network with "pass to train" checked, and the train leave condition set to Circuit network: condition (like Copper Ore > 10000 for example)

Purplekief
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Purplekief »

PacifyerGrey wrote:

You have to think about leaving conditions. As said train will leave as soon as condition is met.

Usually on unload station you set something like "Empty Cargo Inventory" which effectively means that train will stay until all wagons are completely emptied.
Here you can go for 2 different routes.
You might make the condition more complex by adding "OR Time passed=15 seconds" which will force train to leave within 15 secons no matter how much cargo is still in the wagons.
Or you can go even further and introduce some circuit network logic by calculating the total amount of items in the station chests and based on that make train leave. For this Station must be connected to circuit network with "pass to train" checked, and the train leave condition set to Circuit network: condition (like Copper Ore > 10000 for example)
Seems like the only way to do this effectively are with circuit networks. I've already read a lot about them but never used them in practice, guess I'll get to derping around. Appreciate the input.
Best regards.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

Is there any clever way for a circuit network to detect biters?
The majority of my base's power usage is currently going to idle laser towers, and the spikes during an attack are surprisingly small.

I'd like to make peril-sensitive firebases that bring additional guns online when there is an imminent attack. Trying to measure the draw from a sentinel turret and bringing more guns online after the shooting has already started would not be responsive or very effective.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

SuicideJunkie wrote:Is there any clever way for a circuit network to detect biters?
The majority of my base's power usage is currently going to idle laser towers, and the spikes during an attack are surprisingly small.

I'd like to make peril-sensitive firebases that bring additional guns online when there is an imminent attack. Trying to measure the draw from a sentinel turret and bringing more guns online after the shooting has already started would not be responsive or very effective.
Currently there is almost no way to detect biters effectively.
The only reliable way is to detect fast accumulator drain on an isolated laser turret which will then power switch on nearby turrets.
However this requires a really complex wiring and combinator usage as turret will naturally drain accumulator over time and your goal is to distinct drain from firing upon biters.
Another complication here is that manual wires which you will need to use in the setup are really badly blueprinted. They do blueprint but poles will automatically interconnect right after you place blueprint if they can reach one another.

The suggestion to add circuit connection to radars to detect nearby biters has already been made to devs but there is no feedback on it just yet.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

PacifyerGrey wrote:Another complication here is that manual wires which you will need to use in the setup are really badly blueprinted. They do blueprint but poles will automatically interconnect right after you place blueprint if they can reach one another.

The suggestion to add circuit connection to radars to detect nearby biters has already been made to devs but there is no feedback on it just yet.
This may have already been suggested, but what about allowing copper wiring to be run to individual items (like the power switch does) instead of just red/green wires?
The closest you can get at the moment is running switched power to a large power pole since they have the smallest supply area, but as you note, they blueprint the worst.

DarkPingDuck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DarkPingDuck »

Hi,

Is there any way/console command to spawn stone patches RANDOMLY on the MAP with randomly patchsizes? Like every other ore-patch.

just found randomly patches command at my position.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

DarkPingDuck wrote:Hi,

Is there any way/console command to spawn stone patches RANDOMLY on the MAP with randomly patchsizes? Like every other ore-patch.

just found randomly patches command at my position.
I don't think so. Do you know of a way to do this for other ore types? (It sounds kind of like you do.) If so, how? If you've figured that out, it's probably possible, so let me know how if that's the case.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

DarkPingDuck
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DarkPingDuck »

I don't think so. Do you know of a way to do this for other ore types? (It sounds kind of like you do.) If so, how? If you've figured that out, it's probably possible, so let me know how if that's the case.
thanks for your answer. No, sadly not. I just found a way to spawn trees (or ores) randomly in a small area at my position.

Code: Select all

/c math.randomseed(game.tick) for y=-10,10 do      for x=-10,10 do      game.surfaces.nauvis.create_entity({         name="tree-02-red",         amount=1,         position={game.player.position.x+x*2+math.random(1,10),game.player.position.y+y+y*2+math.random(1,10)}         })      end  end  
like i said, its randomly but its no "patch" i want.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

Is it normal for new players to start over? I'm currently debating starting over.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

You don't need to start over, unless you fall so far behind in tech and resources that you can't kill biters anymore.

Otherwise, just find a new resource patch and build a new base.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

FactorioParadox wrote:Is it normal for new players to start over? I'm currently debating starting over.
It's not right, it's not wrong. I've heard of people who have started over dozens of times, never launched a rocket, and have had a lot of fun. I launched a rocket in my first base. Just do whatever you think is most fun. You might also want to read this thread.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

If I play in a vanilla save, install mods, then load up the vanilla save, will it be converted to a modded save?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

FactorioParadox wrote:If I play in a vanilla save, install mods, then load up the vanilla save, will it be converted to a modded save?
Loading a save file does not change it in any way. Further more, you can load a save file that has been saved with a different mod setup, the only difference is that entities of removed mods will not be restored when loading.

Return to “Gameplay Help”