Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

how to increase the armor size?

Post by brunzenstein »

How to pack more equipment into - I cannot find the research fro that?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by torne »

Each armour type has a fixed amount of space. You need to research and make better armour if you want to fit more equipment. (Power armour is the next tier after modular)

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

How do I centrally limit the number of, say green circuits, my factory produces?

I have multiple locations where things get made and each one needs to be hooked up to the logistics network and limited independently. If I decide that 1000 circuits in storage isn't enough I have to remember where all the limited inserters are and change the limit for each one. I also forget which things are limited and where and have to search the factory. A bunch of constant combinators feeding a -ve number into central steels chests and inserters checking for [count] < 0 would work but that doesn't seem compatible with the logistics network.

Is there a way to do this neatly? Mods are OK, I'm using the fantastic Advanced Logistics System mod which does many great things, not including this particular function (AFAIK).

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

One way to do this is to read the contents of the logistics network from a roboport into the circuit network, set your desired amounts of items in storage in a constant combinator and subtract one from the other, and then run the resulting signal to everywhere in the factory, setting the inserters only to be active when the circuit has an appropriate signal. There's no way to do this "wirelessly" - the logistics network doesn't have any way to input values.

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

torne wrote:...run the resulting signal to everywhere in the factory, setting the inserters only to be active when the circuit has an appropriate signal.
That would work, hadn't thought of that. It would require wiring my entire factory into one power grid (already done) and then wiring the entire thing with circuit wire (very much not done). Thanks for providing a good solution; I'm too lazy to implement it though! :lol:

Also apologies for mentioning mods, didn't read the rules first, oops.
Last edited by AndrewIRL on Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by torne »

It doesn't have to be one power grid; circuit wires are independent of copper wires. You can split up the copper wires to control power distribution and still run red/green wire between sections without an issue ;)

It's a fairly common solution people use, but it is a bit of effort to go back and retrofit a large factory with all the wiring. If you do it, one tip is to try to reserve one of the colours of wire just for this purpose and always use the other colour when you're connecting stuff for anything else.

narubo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by narubo »

splitter is not rotationally symmetrical.

There are differences between putting on a belt and putting on a splitter.
In the case of a belt it is rotationally symmetrical,
In the case of a splitter it is not.
Is this a bug?

I remember that the belt placement process changed in the past, but have not changed the splitter?
Problems occur when copying and rotating with blueprint.
Attachments
sss.jpg (194.67 KiB) Viewed 5886 times

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

a simple roundabout belt question

Post by brunzenstein »

At some point the belt supplying the research labs becomes saturated with a single colour (in that very case blue)
- even I try to balance the roundabout with intermediate boxes as shown - any hint?

kinnom
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: a simple roundabout belt question

Post by kinnom »

brunzenstein wrote:At some point the belt supplying the research labs becomes saturated with a single colour (in that very case blue)
- even I try to balance the roundabout with intermediate boxes as shown - any hint?
Here's a hint: do not use merged belts.
no yes yes no yes no yes yes

AileTheAlien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AileTheAlien »

Here's a better hint from the game's dev-blog:

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: a simple roundabout belt question

Post by AndrewIRL »

kinnom wrote:
brunzenstein wrote:At some point the belt supplying the research labs becomes saturated with a single colour (in that very case blue)
Here's a hint: do not use merged belts.
Merged belts causing trouble? You need to double down and put everything on a Single Belt Science Sushi. (external link - Reddit)
Sushi_Belt.gif
Sushi_Belt.gif (33.89 MiB) Viewed 5839 times

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

Want to play factorio again. But i want some few Big Ressourcefields. RSO isnt what i have in mind since it just makes small Ressourcefileds toooo far appart no matter what i tell it to do. Next i remember there was some dont want to call it bug but it wasnt as intuitive at map creating as it should.
Last Time i played it was like setting Iron to Rich and Big but if we made many fields it used to spread the value from Rich and Big into many small faields. Setting it to Low resulted in a bit more of what was wanted a few many big fields.

Since it is quite a while and i want to have a few Big Ironfields, whats the optimal setup? Playing with map creator didnt gave me the results i was expecting.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Zonk wrote:Want to play factorio again. But i want some few Big Ressourcefields. RSO isnt what i have in mind since it just makes small Ressourcefileds toooo far appart no matter what i tell it to do. Next i remember there was some dont want to call it bug but it wasnt as intuitive at map creating as it should.
Last Time i played it was like setting Iron to Rich and Big but if we made many fields it used to spread the value from Rich and Big into many small faields. Setting it to Low resulted in a bit more of what was wanted a few many big fields.

Since it is quite a while and i want to have a few Big Ironfields, whats the optimal setup? Playing with map creator didnt gave me the results i was expecting.
The map creator options are self-explanatory.

If you want big patches select Size of Big - Very Big
If you want them to contain more resources per tile - select Richness more.
If you want patches not to be close to one another - reduce Frequency to Low. And if you want to be forced into trains - select Very Low.

Anyways it usually gets several dozens of tries to get a map like you desire. I recommend using https://mods.factorio.com/mods/Klonan/InitialScan mod to make a wide scan of your starting area right arter map creation. Be aware that mods disable achievements if you care about them.

reactchemicals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: What Machine makes Rocket Fuel

Post by reactchemicals »

I'm playing Angel-Bob mod right know. What machine/device do you make the ROCKET FUEL in. It says Made in: but nothing is listed. You cannot hand craft it or use assemblers. It takes Nitroglycerin, 2 gases and Nitric Acid to make it. I can't believe I have played this for hours on end and can't finish it

Please help. This is by far the best of the mods I have played
Last edited by reactchemicals on Thu Apr 06, 2017 12:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

If it's blank AFAIK that means handcrafting or Assemblers.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Hannu
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: What Machine makes Rocket Fuel

Post by Hannu »

reactchemicals wrote:I'm playing Angel-Bob mod right know. What machine/device do you make the ROCKET FUEL in. It says Made in: but nothing is listed. You cannot hand craft it or use assemblers. It takes Nitroglycerin, 2 gases and Nitric Acid to make it. I can't believe I have played this for hours on end and can't finish it

Please help. This is by far the best of the mods I have played
Rocket fuel is made in Angel's advanced chemical plant.

reactchemicals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by reactchemicals »

If you choose the Advanced Chemical Plant it does not give the Rocket Fuel recipe from whats available to choose from

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

Is there a effective setup for producing assembler 1 and 2 machines before robots?

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

brunzenstein wrote:Is there a effective setup for producing assembler 1 and 2 machines before robots?
Is there any problem with those? Why would you need "effective setup" for it? Its simple as hell and can be produced from any bus base with no problems. Its not like you need 1 assemblermachine per second or whatever...

Captain-Mango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Captain-Mango »

How do I get the blue science pack 3? I'm mystified where it comes from. I can't carry on researching stuff without it.

edit, nvm, I think I just have to make batteries lol

Return to “Gameplay Help”