Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Jap2.0 »

MPeti1 wrote:Hi!
Is there any method to disallow drones to travel outside of the construction area of roboports? It's annoying that a lot of drones are destroyed by biters who are in an area what i not cleaned because i don't want to use and than it's unnecessary to waste resources on it. I use modded Factorio (and 0.14) but first i want to search a vanilla method, if is there any. This could be good also because i've seen a lot of times that a group of drones went in a way where the next roboport they reach is very far away, and after a short distance they returned back to the last roboport, and they did it in an endless loop.
There aren't any plans to change this. The developers have stated that improving bot path finding would have consequences on UPS. Right now to find a path, robots simply move in a straight line toward their destination, which is fairly inconsequential on game performance. Unfortunately, this can cause some problems with oddly shaped networks. The simplest solution is to kill the biters and add roboports, essentially making you network square or circular or some other similar shape.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Dismarof
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Dismarof »

Hello,

I've recently bought the game on steam, really into it although i just can't find some elements and technologies in the game that i see on the wiki etc. They are just pretty much nonexsistent. As far as i noticed i can't find fluid wagon with the fluid wagon technology, hight tier science packs and anything connected to nuclear. What is this all about?

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

Dismarof wrote:Hello,

I've recently bought the game on steam, really into it although i just can't find some elements and technologies in the game that i see on the wiki etc. They are just pretty much nonexsistent. As far as i noticed i can't find fluid wagon with the fluid wagon technology, hight tier science packs and anything connected to nuclear. What is this all about?
Have you opted into receiving experimental builds in your Steam library?
To opt in you need to right click on Factorio in your library --> Properties --> Betas and select "0.15.x - Latest 0.15 Experimental" from the dropdown menu.
Steam will then download the latest experimental version containing fluid wagons and nuclear power related stuff.
Former moderator.

NovaTrace
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by NovaTrace »

Made a map but i set it at the wrong settings for resources aliens and water , already spent over 5 hours on the island. Is there a way to copy paste parts of a map between each other (including land ie. dirt ore and trees)?
Attachments
20170713164120_1.jpg
20170713164120_1.jpg (10.83 KiB) Viewed 7533 times

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I'm fairly certain not, you could check mods though.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Not if you want to unlock any achievements. You could blueprint everything then use the command line to complete research and insert the required machines and bots into your inventory. I think I'd prefer to start again, 5 hours isn't that long in Factorio time.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

how does the rocket / satellite work now?
i remeber in my last games was there i field to but the sat or stuff in.. but the empty field is gone now :-/

thank you.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:Not if you want to unlock any achievements. You could blueprint everything then use the command line to complete research and insert the required machines and bots into your inventory. I think I'd prefer to start again, 5 hours isn't that long in Factorio time.
That wouldn't copy the dirt and stuff.

Nemac wrote:how does the rocket / satellite work now?
i remeber in my last games was there i field to but the sat or stuff in.. but the empty field is gone now :-/

thank you.
I think the rocket has to be completed before you can put the satellite in. If you still don't see it when you see the launch button, try putting a chest with inserter pointing into the silo. You may be missing the slot.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

When the automatic launch option is ticked, a rocket will only launch when there is a Satellite in it. Preventing the Satellite from being entered into the Silo until the rocket is complete provides more flexibility and control over when you launch a rocket and sensing when a rocket is being / has been launched.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

normal inserter cant always take stuff from blue belts, is this by design or bug?
not sure about, because not all inserter have this trouble. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBu7RqYwflI

thank you ;)

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

I'm not sure if it's intentional, but it's been that way for a long time and it's not changed, so I assume it's not considered a bug. It's simply due to the fact that normal inserters are quite slow and blue belts are, well, really fast. Try using fast inserters. If you're at the point where you can produce large amounts of blue belts, you can afford a few fast inserters.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

jepp, done, switched to fast inserters. was just curious about this. just 3,4 normal inserters seems dont work right..

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

Nemac wrote:jepp, done, switched to fast inserters. was just curious about this. just 3,4 normal inserters seems dont work right..
Yellow inserters are too slow to work with blue belts and it is intentional. They can only pick from either red belt (on full speed) or from backed up blue belt.
The point is inserter's rotation speed. It just can't rotate to pick up an item in time while the item is moving on the belt through the tile. So if anything slows up the item (like belt being backed up) then it can catch up.
However with blue belts it is much more convenient to use blue inserters all the way as they won't fail you.

Patashu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Patashu »

If your power supply is very low, normal inserters can't even pick up from yellow belts!

venski
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by venski »

Hi, I'm playing on a Mac and after a recent update (don't know which one) I stopped being able to assign slots on my belt to specific items. It used to be done by right clicking on the slot and selecting the item, or just placing the item and middle clicking on the slot. Now none of these work for me. Is there a new shortcut that I have missed?

Zimtrax
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Showing Underground Belt Direction

Post by Zimtrax »

Is there a way to display the direction of underground belts by pressing the [ALT] key (without hovering the cursor over each of them), like with showing the recipes inside assembling machines?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Zimtrax wrote:Is there a way to display the direction of underground belts by pressing the [ALT] key (without hovering the cursor over each of them), like with showing the recipes inside assembling machines?
No.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Showing Underground Belt Direction

Post by Kyralessa »

Zimtrax wrote:Is there a way to display the direction of underground belts by pressing the [ALT] key (without hovering the cursor over each of them), like with showing the recipes inside assembling machines?
No, but you don't need Alt to see the direction. The little chevrons on the underground belt ends point the direction it's going. See here, for example:
underground belt chevrons
All three belt colors are pointing >>> the direction they're going.

Muche
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Muche »

venski wrote:Hi, I'm playing on a Mac and after a recent update (don't know which one) I stopped being able to assign slots on my belt to specific items. It used to be done by right clicking on the slot and selecting the item, or just placing the item and middle clicking on the slot. Now none of these work for me. Is there a new shortcut that I have missed?
Version 0.15.24 has this:
Changed default keybind for toggle filters on macOS to Command + Right Click (50253)
You can try this new one, or see the binding in the options (Options/Controls/Inventory/Toggle Filter) and possibly change it to your liking.

gert1978
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gert1978 »

hi, after watching plenty of hours on youtube I decided to try the game myself.
I'm having an issue placing down items, it seems I empty out my full inventory every time I place down 1 item. For example when I'm placing a brickroad I always have t travel back to pick up excess bricks in the middle of the path.

This also means I need to circle back on every build to pick up excess inserters, belts, splitters, resources, miners and so on just laying on the ground being their really tiny icon self.

Probably doing something wrong but can't seem to find out what.

Sincerly Noob Gert1978 :-)

Return to “Gameplay Help”