Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

I believe it's on the Military tab IIRC. You can just click the magnifying glass in the top right of the crafting window and type Silo, it'll come up and show you what tab it's on.
Money might be the root of all evil, but ignorance is the heart.

iorunner
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by iorunner »

awesome, there it was thanks :D

Cdigglesworth
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Cdigglesworth »

I see this in people's designs,
how does this inserter pick up items diagonally?
Factorio Diag Inserter.jpg
Factorio Diag Inserter.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 5562 times

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

That screenshot was taken before inserters were nerfed in version 0.12.

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by realm174 »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:You can just click the magnifying glass in the top right of the crafting window and type...
Funny fact: I have well over 1000 hours in Factorio. Yet, I never noticed until about a week ago that there's a search function... :-0

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

It was added in 0.13 I think, and change blindness means you never noticed =P

Change blindness is due to the way your brain processes images, it doesn't process the entire image from your eyes but looks for key markers and expectations then fills in the blanks from memory. So when you open your inventory, your brain expects the inventory, registers the general layout and goes "yep I know exactly what this looks like" and fills in the rest for you, painting over the magnifying glass.

ATMunn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ATMunn »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:It was added in 0.13 I think, and change blindness means you never noticed =P

Change blindness is due to the way your brain processes images, it doesn't process the entire image from your eyes but looks for key markers and expectations then fills in the blanks from memory. So when you open your inventory, your brain expects the inventory, registers the general layout and goes "yep I know exactly what this looks like" and fills in the rest for you, painting over the magnifying glass.
Wow, I never knew that. Very scientific. :P

realm174
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by realm174 »

Deadly-Bagel wrote:...change blindness means you never noticed =P
Oh wow.. I thought you were making stuff up for giggles, but I checked, and it is an actual thing.. I never knew that.. Maybe I can use that as an explanation next time I pick up my wife from work and end up picking up a different woman instead.. :p

nikgame
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nikgame »

I have finished the basic campaign...I am planning to start a freeplay scenario since it has Steam achievements..Is there any difference between "New Game" and "Freeplay Scenario"..other than the difference in name..both are exactly same right?

ATMunn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ATMunn »

As far as I know, they're exactly the same. New game essentially just makes a freeplay scenario.

Rinin
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rinin »

Is it any way to save train stations names in blueprint?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Rinin wrote:Is it any way to save train stations names in blueprint?
No, typically you would not want to (for example blueprinting ore outposts) but there are requests to have it as an option.
nikgame wrote:I have finished the basic campaign...I am planning to start a freeplay scenario since it has Steam achievements..Is there any difference between "New Game" and "Freeplay Scenario"..other than the difference in name..both are exactly same right?
I think playing in a scenario -might- disable achievements, you should use New Game.
realm174 wrote:Oh wow.. I thought you were making stuff up for giggles, but I checked, and it is an actual thing.. I never knew that.. Maybe I can use that as an explanation next time I pick up my wife from work and end up picking up a different woman instead.. :p
Not quite but it is why you don't notice when she has her hair cut =P I usually use it to steal my wife's drink while she's not looking, swap it for my empty glass and she doesn't notice until she goes to take a sip ^^

For a fantastic example check out this Who Dunnit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubNF9QNEQLA (promise I'll stay on topic from now on =x)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

How to arm a outposts by train?

Post by brunzenstein »

what is the best strategy to automatically stock up an far away solar run gun outpost with a ammunition & oil (for flamethrower) by train - screenshot anyone?

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

Bit of a broad question. Just load the stuff onto the train and have it visit all your outposts. Maybe unload everything from the first wagon and have the second dedicated to loading up empty barrels. If you're only loading ores into one side at the outpost you could use the same station, use filter inserters to remove anything and on your supply train filter all slots in both wagons. Only tricky thing would be not loading empty barrels into ore trains if you don't want to lock them but you could set up a circuit to only start loading when unloading oil barrels.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

how to transfer a blueprint?

Post by brunzenstein »

how to set up a sandbox play and transfer a blueprint created there over to another new game theatre?

ATMunn
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ATMunn »

You will be able to do this in the next update, however until then you'll have to use a mod. Search either "Foreman" or "Blueprint String" on the mod portal. Either one of these mods will let you do what you want.

Jofe_co
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Undefended solar farm away from base

Post by Jofe_co »

Hello, I'm new here and was wondering if it is possible to build a fairly undefended solar farm away from my main base. Since, as far as I know, attacks are mainly triggered by pollution would this farm be left alone?

torne
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Undefended solar farm away from base

Post by torne »

Jofe_co wrote:Hello, I'm new here and was wondering if it is possible to build a fairly undefended solar farm away from my main base. Since, as far as I know, attacks are mainly triggered by pollution would this farm be left alone?
If nothing at the base generates pollution the natives will never send an attack there, and they also probably won't try to settle directly on top of it since they prefer to settle away from player structures. However, if they're on the way somewhere else (to attack a different part of your base, or to settle somewhere on the far side) then they may attack structures they run into on the way. I think it may depend on whether they can successfully path around or not, but I'm not sure about that.

So, it's generally safe, but I don't think it's completely impossible for them to attack it under rare circumstances.

Deadly-Bagel
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadly-Bagel »

As long as there is a nearby path around they will take that and ignore the solar panels. If they get stuck between a panel and their fellow biters they will start attacking the panel so you might end up with a few broken panels but they won't wipe out the whole lot.

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

What is the fastest way to clear a massive land-area of biters in the late-game? As reference, it took me an hour and a half, ~700 destroyer capsules (max follower count), ~200 flamethrower ammo cartridges to simply scout out the area (i.e., running along the water to identify nice choke points to wall-off).

EDIT: SOLVED (sort of). I caved and decided to add one mod to my save: Orbital Ion Cannon :twisted:

Return to “Gameplay Help”