Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
PlanetX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by PlanetX »

DaveMcW wrote:Your inserter for iron gear wheels is somehow full of copper plates.
I don't know what you mean? Can you tell me where this inserter is located?

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

PlanetX wrote:Also, can anyone tell me why my assembly machines (3 in the center) aren't working?
The red inserter inserting gears in the inserter assembler is holding copper (hard to see in the screenshot) which it can not insert, furthermore your copper line got disconnected from your gear line so red circuits will soon stop producing.

PlanetX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PlanetX »

I see. Fixed it.

Bokkie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bokkie »

How are maps generated? I've started a game with some good resources to begin, so I saved the map as 'start'.

If I use this map more times, will it be exactly the same everytime or only the start point?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Bokkie wrote:How are maps generated? I've started a game with some good resources to begin, so I saved the map as 'start'.

If I use this map more times, will it be exactly the same everytime or only the start point?
It will be identical.

Maps are determined by their seed, which you can enter on the New game screen if you want a certain map, otherwise it will be randomly generated. If you saved a map and later load the same map then the seed is already determined, it's saved within the savegame. Everyone who uses the same savegame will always get the same map, and it will be uncovered with the same features.

You can actually go to Load game, then pick a savegame, then press the Map exchange string button. Copy that string, and if you now go to New game and insert that string into the Map exchange string textfield then all of the settings will be set to that same map. If you now press Generate it will generate the same map as used in that savegame*.

* If they are using the same Factorio version. I think seeds are compatible within 0.15, but if you used the same seed on 0.14 or 0.12 you'd get a different map, because the map generation algorithm has changed. If you used mods that generate different ores and try to load it without that mods present (or they changed) then the exchange string might cause unpredictable results or not work at all.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

How can you get the exchange string for a sandbox map? There's no button on the load screen for those.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Cribbit wrote:How can you get the exchange string for a sandbox map? There's no button on the load screen for those.
You can't.

Sandbox is a scenario, and you can't get map exchange seeds for those.
However you can get map related info using the console., for example reading the seed:

Code: Select all

/c game.print(game.player.surface.map_gen_settings.seed)
map_gen_settings should contain all the information to start the same map, for a reference see here.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

Thanks for the info!

Other question - is there a list somewhere of what recipes a productivity module will not work on? The wiki simply says it doesn't work for placeable structures or nuclear related things. Some resources indicate it also doesn't work on module production. Does no nuclear mean everything that has any sort of uranium as an input? Ammo, centrifuge, fuel cells?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Cribbit wrote:Thanks for the info!

Other question - is there a list somewhere of what recipes a productivity module will not work on? The wiki simply says it doesn't work for placeable structures or nuclear related things. Some resources indicate it also doesn't work on module production. Does no nuclear mean everything that has any sort of uranium as an input? Ammo, centrifuge, fuel cells?
I don't think there's a list. I'm fairly certain it doesn't work in some oil-related things as well.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

FactorioParadox
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by FactorioParadox »

Cribbit wrote:Thanks for the info!

It only works on recipes listed under the Intermediate Products tab, excluding the ones related to nuclear stuff. It might work on other things, but in-game it says it only works on intermediate products.

PlanetX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PlanetX »

Hey, I've been using this setup to make science packs but it seems it doesnt work at all since it makes the wrong ingredients for sp3.
It makes batteries but my recipe says I need an electric mining drill and an engine.
Is this an old recipe/setup or am I missing something?
(I downloaded the setup picture, I didnt create it)
Attachments
pYSFjSN-1.png
pYSFjSN-1.png (2.93 MiB) Viewed 6096 times

PlanetX
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PlanetX »

Nevermind. Just found out it's a setup from an outdated version!

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Yep. Science was completely overhauled in 0.15.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Productivity modules work with a whitelist, defined in the data files.

You can use this command to print it:

Code: Select all

/c
list = {}
for recipe in pairs(game.item_prototypes["productivity-module"].limitations) do
  table.insert(list, recipe)
end
table.sort(list)
game.print(table.concat(list, "\n"))
Result in Factorio 0.15.37:
advanced-oil-processing
basic-oil-processing
battery
coal-liquefaction
copper-cable
copper-plate
electric-engine-unit
electronic-circuit
empty-barrel
engine-unit
explosives
flying-robot-frame
heavy-oil-cracking
high-tech-science-pack
iron-gear-wheel
iron-plate
iron-stick
light-oil-cracking
low-density-structure
lubricant
military-science-pack
plastic-bar
processing-unit
production-science-pack
rocket-control-unit
rocket-fuel
rocket-part
science-pack-1
science-pack-2
science-pack-3
solid-fuel-from-heavy-oil
solid-fuel-from-light-oil
solid-fuel-from-petroleum-gas
steel-plate
stone-brick
sulfur
sulfuric-acid
uranium-fuel-cell
uranium-processing
wood

ccsonic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ccsonic »

Hi there!
Relatively new to the game and I got a question about the crafting time in assembly machines. On the wiki it says that i.e. the assembly machine 1 has a crafting speed of 0.5. Is this relative to the speed the player has - so he would have 1?

So if I'd like to craft gears with a crafting time of 0.5 sec and would do this in an assembly machine 1, it would take 1 sec rather than 0.5 sec?
Just want to know this to layout my assembly lines properly.

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

ccsonic wrote:Hi there!
Relatively new to the game and I got a question about the crafting time in assembly machines. On the wiki it says that i.e. the assembly machine 1 has a crafting speed of 0.5. Is this relative to the speed the player has - so he would have 1?

So if I'd like to craft gears with a crafting time of 0.5 sec and would do this in an assembly machine 1, it would take 1 sec rather than 0.5 sec?
Just want to know this to layout my assembly lines properly.
Yes, what you wrote is all correct.

If you are using modules (or beacons) then they alter the crafting speed, speed modules will increase and productivity modules decrease it. If you hover over a crafting machine and check the sidebar at the right it will show the actual crafting speed.

ccsonic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ccsonic »

daniel34 wrote:If you hover over a crafting machine and check the sidebar at the right it will show the actual crafting speed.
An Assembly Machine 1 would then show me a 1 when its task is to craft gears? Or is it just the initial 0.5 crafting speed altered by the modules or beacons?

Thanks for the help!

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

ccsonic wrote:
daniel34 wrote:If you hover over a crafting machine and check the sidebar at the right it will show the actual crafting speed.
An Assembly Machine 1 would then show me a 1 when its task is to craft gears? Or is it just the initial 0.5 crafting speed altered by the modules or beacons?

Thanks for the help!
Without modules it will always show 0.5. The crafting speed on the right side is only altered by modules/beacons, so that you can easily use it when calculating recipe time / crafting speed = actual time without manually calculating the modules/beacons. It doesn't actually show you anywhere how long the crafting itself takes.

ccsonic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ccsonic »

daniel34 wrote:Without modules it will always show 0.5. The crafting speed on the right side is only altered by modules/beacons, so that you can easily use it when calculating recipe time / crafting speed = actual time without manually calculating the modules/beacons. It doesn't actually show you anywhere how long the crafting itself takes.
Ah okay, important to know! Going to layout some of my assembly lines :D

DOM78
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by DOM78 »

Hello All,
I've just discovered that game (how could I miss it ??) and find it totally amazing !! I have the feeling to see a great mix between most of my favourite games (as TTD, incredible machine, anno,...).
After playing a few hours, I have a few questions:

- my researches are going too fast :( not have the time to master something when 20 new features are available...). I've seen a mod to increase the cost of technology but it does not work with the last version. I've seen an expensive mode available but it seems that all the costs are increased, not only technology. Is there a way to increase the cose of technology only ??

- perhaps I have too much lab (around 12 before being at the blue bottles), is it too much ? at the end of the game, how much of lab do you have when you are ready to close the rocket ?

- I can't understant the purpose of the radar... what they are for ??

- is the map infinite ?? my map does not seem very large, I'm afraid to be limited at the end of the game, I didn't configured it at the begin of my game, not an issue ?

- is it possible to improve the action range of the character ? I always need to move him when I'm building something, it's very painfull

- which mod do you consider as necessary or very usefull for a first game ? (especially gameplay or little improvements, not big ones as bobs mod, that will be for a further game)

thanks a lot in advance for helping me !

Return to “Gameplay Help”