Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

mk-fg wrote:
LazyLoneLion wrote: There is a simple small mistake:
Output of an assembler was always limited by a stack.
Input was limited by twofold of necessary items for one output.
Ah, sorry, guess I didn't phrase it correctly. ---
EDIT: nevermind, you're completely right, and I'm apparently just misremembering things and bad at testing. Thanks!
Actually, it has always been the inserter, not the assembler, that does the limiting. The assembler will keep going as long as it has the inputs and there is room in the output, but the inserters will stop putting inputs in when there is too much on the output.

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

thereaverofdarkness wrote: Actually, it has always been the inserter, not the assembler, that does the limiting. The assembler will keep going as long as it has the inputs and there is room in the output, but the inserters will stop putting inputs in when there is too much on the output.
Yeah, guess that'd be correct way of thinking about it, in terms of inserter logic and not assembler.
My "bad testing" earlier was ignoring that fact and putting stacks of input items manually, then wondering why assembler doesn't stop, which indeed it doesn't have any logic for.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

Yep, I've done that enough times.

I didn't get an answer to my previous question:
What's the range of the tank's cannon? It says 25 on the tank and 30 on the ammo.

The Eriksonn
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by The Eriksonn »

When an inserter inserts ammo into artillery turret, what is the limit at when it wont put in any more?

Edit: Found out that it is 5 after 30 seconds of testing... :D

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

The Eriksonn wrote:When an inserter inserts ammo into artillery turret, what is the limit at when it wont put in any more?
Edit: Found out that it is 5 after 30 seconds of testing... :D
Yeah, it's 10.
Turret prototypes have "automated_ammo_count = 10", so it's a preset number there, independent of ammo stacks and such.

Derpstone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Derpstone »

If I play Factorio on two different computers, what is the best way to keep my blueprints synced between the two computers? Is this possible? I take the right side of the blueprint window where it says My Blueprints only shows what is saved local, right? I am not sure how to use the left side, or Shared Blueprints side. Can someone help me understand this better?

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Derpstone wrote:If I play Factorio on two different computers, what is the best way to keep my blueprints synced between the two computers? Is this possible? I take the right side of the blueprint window where it says My Blueprints only shows what is saved local, right? I am not sure how to use the left side, or Shared Blueprints side. Can someone help me understand this better?
The left pane Shared Blueprints is for multiplayer games; you have a book of blueprints, you drag it to Shared, and another player joining your game can grab a copy of your blueprints (or drop in a copy of their blueprints for you to use).

The right pane My Blueprints is for you to share between your games. In game one, you make a book and drag it to My Blueprints. It is now linked to your account and available for any of your other games. In game two, you open the blueprint library and grab a copy to use for that game.

There is no automatic update of a shared blueprint in either form. If you update a blueprint, or add a new blueprint to a book that has been shared: first delete the existing book from the library (right click to open the book and select the garbage can); then you re-copy the updated book to share it again; finally you grab a copy of the updated book in the game sharing that book. If you don't copy it to the library, the changes will not be there to use in other games. If you don't grab a copy of the updated book, you won't have the changes.

I hope this helps - I am working on a page for the wiki, holding off publishing it until the GUI changes are finalized. Let me know if you have more questions so the wiki page is as complete and helpful as possible when it is published. Thanks!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

Derpstone wrote:If I play Factorio on two different computers, what is the best way to keep my blueprints synced between the two computers? Is this possible? I take the right side of the blueprint window where it says My Blueprints only shows what is saved local, right? I am not sure how to use the left side, or Shared Blueprints side. Can someone help me understand this better?
You should probably share (I mean sync) your save folder through some cloud-sync, like Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive.
Steam does this automatically.
Last edited by LazyLoneLion on Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derpstone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Derpstone »

LazyLoneLion wrote:
You should probably share your save folder through some cloud-sync, like Google Drive, Dropbox or OneDrive.
Steam does this automatically.
Ahhh! I am playing the game through Steam, but I think in my head I had the purposes of the My Blueprints and Shared Blueprints mixed up, and I made a royal mess of everything. You'd think the word "Shared" would have clued me in. Another moment of Derp in a long list of Derps.

Bokkie
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Bokkie »

Is it possible to remove ore patches in the game? (Single player)
And is it possible to remove just one ore patch?

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

The most obvious way is probably to stick miners on top of the ore until the ore is gone. But Picker Extended has an ore-removal tool. After installing the mod. Type B, click on the yellow ore eraser, and drag over the area you want to delete. It'll tell you how much ore is there. Shift-drag if you really want to delete.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

Should I signal the uppermost track in this stacker? Beyond adding a couple to make sure trains dont bump. Any other issue with this layout?
regular.png
regular.png (7.57 MiB) Viewed 6755 times
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Ghoulish wrote:Should I signal the uppermost track in this stacker? Beyond adding a couple to make sure trains dont bump. Any other issue with this layout?
regular.png
Yes - also, everything above the bottom row of signals should probably be chain signals.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

00Trollface
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by 00Trollface »

How do i stop this from happening
PS its on the photo
Whatever
Last edited by Loewchen on Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added spoiler.

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

00Trollface wrote:How do i stop this from happening
PS its on the photo
No idea what you are talking about.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Are you looking to have the same items on both belt lanes?
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

00Trollface wrote:How do i stop this from happening
PS its on the photo
Whatever
Please don't take a photo of your screen. Take a screenshot.

If you want help you should tell us more details of what you think the problem is.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

He probably wants to split *lanes* by splitter and wonders why that doesn't work as he intended.

Splitter splits both lanes on the input belt[s] to both output belts.
If you want to split coal to one belt and ore to another you should configure that splitter with priority and filter, like "put all coal to the right".

drachma
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by drachma »

Do trains repath if their target station is disabled mid-route?

It seems like this is the case but I have also seen some trains seem to stop dead and get a No Path error if it's destination was disabled. I can't recall if they resolved themselves or how long it took. This can slow down traffic on a main line. How long does it take a train to repath to a new valid destination?

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

Repathing is essentially instantaneous. (I'd expect it to cost 1 tick, but I don't know that for sure.)

But:
  • If all the stops a train wants to visit are disabled (entire schedule appears in red): The train will stop in its tracks until at least one is enabled again.
  • If the train is going to station "Foobar", there are three stops named "Foobar", and only one is enabled: The train will stop in its tracks if it can't find a path from wherever it is to the enabled stop. The train will start moving once an accessible stop enables itself, or it will advance to the next station on the list (but possibly still be stuck) if all three simultaneously disable themselves.

Return to “Gameplay Help”