Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SoShootMe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by SoShootMe »

EngineerPerson wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:45 am
Is it worth the resources involved to get a roboport network up and running as soon as you can?
It's not essential but building roboport network(s) has significant benefits. I would say roboports and construction robots are a complete game changer.

If you've built a "mall", assemblers to create the various items to expand your factory, with their output going into logistic chests that you'll also have available, you can use cut/copy/paste, blueprints (or manually placing ghosts) and upgrade and deconstruction planners to order changes, and leave the robots to the task while you do something else.

Construction robots will use repair packs to automatically repair damaged entities (using repair packs) and replace destroyed entities in the network's range, assuming the relevant items are available.

Building roboport network(s) also means you are prepared for logistic robots that will come later.

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

Perfect. Is it worth it to experiment in sandbox and figure out how to make a mall by yourself? I got a blueprint off the internet but frankly I had to modify it so much to fit my needs I basically just made a new one. Malls seem really confusing.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

EngineerPerson wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:12 am
Perfect. Is it worth it to experiment in sandbox and figure out how to make a mall by yourself? I got a blueprint off the internet but frankly I had to modify it so much to fit my needs I basically just made a new one. Malls seem really confusing.
IMO, everything is worth experimenting with. :)

The basic concept of a mall is just getting your most common needed items into a central area that, in some way or another, is accessible to construction bots. Anything beyond that is just icing on the cake. :D
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

It's the organising and properly putting things in the right place for the belts that I struggle with. I'll figure it out in sandbox though, I'm sure.

EngineerPerson
Inserter
Inserter

Post by EngineerPerson »

Another quick question, are laser turrets sufficient without a mix of other turrets? At least fairly early.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

EngineerPerson wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:18 am
Another quick question, are laser turrets sufficient without a mix of other turrets? At least fairly early.
Yes, though they are a massive drain on your power grid when firing. They are even a drain when not, but there's a thread that was about setting up ways to cut power to them when they weren't needed: viewtopic.php?f=193&t=100826
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Tertius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Tertius »

I feel laser turrets are very convenient, and from my experience, they are sufficient to defend anything if enemy settings are default or less than the default. However, their passive drain is substantial. You need to offset this with a sufficient amount of solar panels + accumulators (at least this is how I drive them in my maps).

I use them for fortifying some border, but it's sometimes better to just put some gun turrets and just manually fill their magazines. These act not only for defense, but also as detectors if any enemy will get there. Check their inventory if you revisit the place, if it isn't full any more they did shoot, so this was a place enemies will walk over. You don't need to fortify an defend some place where enemies never walk over, for example due to water or cliffs.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

If you open the blueprint with the right mouse button for editing, then why doesn't scaling work in the preview window in any way ??
Am I the only one who gets stressed by this??
I can't selectively remove anything from the components, because the drawing is huge and you can't see anything there.
I can provide at least a screenshot, even the blueprint itself.
What do the developers say about this?
Is it that hard or nobody needs it??

DarkShadow44
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DarkShadow44 »

azesmbog wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:16 pm
If you open the blueprint with the right mouse button for editing, then why doesn't scaling work in the preview window in any way ??
I can't selectively remove anything from the components, because the drawing is huge and you can't see anything there.
There's already a few suggestions:
[0.17.4] Add zooming functionality to the blueprint preview
Some tweaks to existing UI and (duplicate) add pan/zoom to blueprint preview
Blueprint preview pan&zoom

But alas, there's over 8000 suggestions, and I don't know how high on the list that is.
I'd implement it, since it seems useful and not too hard, but I'm not a dev. :D
In the meantime, you can use
Blueprint Sandboxes
or The Blueprint Designer Lab

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

DarkShadow44 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:16 pm

There's already a few suggestions:
Thanks for the collection of suggestions.
So I'm not the only one who lacks such a function. Alas, I don’t use mods, I’m a retrograde, only hardcore, only vanilla.
You have to go the long way, build to actual size, remove the excess, and blueprint again.

spinba11
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by spinba11 »

If I set a mining drill up to read entire resource patch will it continue to read until the entire patch is depleted even if the ore under that drill is used? I’ve done a small scale test with it covering one ore tile and it does continue once that tile is used up, I just don’t want to set something complicated up and then have it stop working.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

spinba11 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:45 pm
If I set a mining drill up to read entire resource patch will it continue to read until the entire patch is depleted even if the ore under that drill is used?
Based on some testing I did in Map Editor creating a 21x21 area resource patch with about 5 resources per tile, except in the middle 5x5 where I increased it to 40 per tile, then strung up both an edge miner and the miner in the middle: Yes

----------------------

Now my question: When the heck did electric mining drills become capable of hooking up to the circuit network and give us this info???? :shock: :lol:

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm
When the heck did electric mining drills become capable of hooking up to the circuit network and give us this info?
In 0.15.0

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Loewchen wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:43 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:44 pm
When the heck did electric mining drills become capable of hooking up to the circuit network and give us this info?
In 0.15.0
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So many things in this game I'm still finding out about. :D

Astrolink127
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Astrolink127 »

Does anyone know how to copy and paste Blue prints between worlds for Nintendo switch? Any help would be great really appreciated. :D

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 2:38 am
Does anyone know how to copy and paste Blue prints between worlds for Nintendo switch? Any help would be great really appreciated. :D
Not clear if you are asking across machines or local, both are answered here though: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fact ... ch-release.

Astrolink127
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Astrolink127 »

Loewchen wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:53 am
Astrolink127 wrote:
Not clear if you are asking across machines or local, both are answered here though: https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fact ... ch-release.
thank you very much this will surely help :D

Astrolink127
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Astrolink127 »

Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 am
Loewchen wrote:
Astrolink127 wrote:
Sadly the blog did not answer the question That I was having :( . The issue that I am running into is I create a creative world build something more specifically a nuclear reactor copy it with the copy string function and now I’m trying to paste it in my FreePlay world.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

I have no clue about the Twitch version, but isn't there the two tabs in blueprint folder, My blueprints and Game blueprints?

If you put the prints in My blueprints they are available across games, while Game blueprints are available only in current game.
blueprints.png
blueprints.png (14.35 KiB) Viewed 2287 times

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:55 am
Astrolink127 wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:57 am
Loewchen wrote:
Astrolink127 wrote:
Sadly the blog did not answer the question That I was having :( . The issue that I am running into is I create a creative world build something more specifically a nuclear reactor copy it with the copy string function and now I’m trying to paste it in my FreePlay world.
  • Can I transfer my save to Nintendo Switch?
    The short answer is no. The long answer is yes, using multiplayer, the following way: Go to Settings -> Other on both devices and make sure your "LAN player name" is not identical. You might need to temporarily log out to change it. Select "Host saved game" and host a game with the save file you want to transfer. Uncheck "Public", check "LAN" and uncheck "Verify user identity". Connect to the game using "Browse LAN games" and then save the game. Remember that very large maps will run slow, not load at all or even crash the game.
  • Can I transfer my blueprints to Nintendo Switch?
    Same answer as above. You can for example transfer the blueprints by placing them in the "Game blueprints" tab of the Blueprint library before saving.
That is your answer. You need to host a save as MP from a pc (using the criteria they mentioned above: not public but LAN, uncheck "verify user identity", and make sure your pc and switch are using different LAN player names), put the blueprints into the "Game blueprints" section, then connect from the switch and copy the blueprint (on the switch) to the "My blueprints" section.

Return to “Gameplay Help”