Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by mmmPI »

I understand better your question now.
weird 1rst attempt
you meant red SCIENCE ! it's more serious i don't have better than the one in the video. Maybe using 1 lane split with half copper half iron, and then iron is blocked and it becomes half copper half gear, would save some space at the cost of volume produced.

There must be smarter ideas out there :)

[Edit :]
maybe better 2nd attempt

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Pipeline or train?

Post by brunzenstein »

What is the ideal distance considering using tankwaggons instead of pipelines?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

1000 tiles.

After that, you can use one pump, or build a train system using fluid wagons.

I would use one pump.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

how to change a player name?

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:24 pm
how to change a player name?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=39873
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Stannum1862
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stannum1862 »

Sorry for potential mistakes, my native language is Russian.
Yesterday i've bought this game and now i'm learning it via personal experience and some tutorial videos.
In this video, at 20:04 player inserts NOT available devices (because they are not researched right now, at start of game) to a quick panel.
When i try to repeat it, i can insert only available devices and resources.
Where i'm wrong?
https://youtu.be/J1nYUp8njAo

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Stannum1862 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:01 pm
Sorry for potential mistakes, my native language is Russian.
Yesterday i've bought this game and now i'm learning it via personal experience and some tutorial videos.
In this video, at 20:04 player inserts NOT available devices (because they are not researched right now, at start of game) to a quick panel.
When i try to repeat it, i can insert only available devices and resources.
Where i'm wrong?
https://youtu.be/J1nYUp8njAo
They may have mods installed that are allowing that, but I haven't studied the video in detail.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

Stannum1862
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stannum1862 »

They may have mods installed...
Nope. He has Helmod and "afraid of darkness". I have this mods too.
Maybe it's an option in "settings", and maybe i've missed it?..
Anyway, thanks ;)

BicycleEater
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BicycleEater »

brunzenstein wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:10 am
What is the ideal distance considering using tankwaggons instead of pipelines?
There isn't an exact distance at which tankwaggons become better - the correct answer is "it's complicated".
It really depends on what stage of the game you are at, what you are transporting, and how much of it there is.
A pipe can run a very long distance without a pump, but it will run very slowly if it does so - the wiki has a nice explanation of the relative flow rates:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Fluid_system
Whereas a train system can be expanded basically forever, without needing loads of pumps or many pipelines - the same tracks will do it all. Also, the track can do other things (so you can run a branch to, for example, an iron mine, or use it to resupply the base with other materials - particularly if you are using 2 1-way tracks). The track is also less obstructive, as you can drive over it, is much easier to place, and doesn't get killed by biters as often (if at all).
The train network also allows you to connect other suppliers or consumers of the fluid, by simply connecting them to the train network and building a train.
Also note that fluid wagon stations with the pumps feeding directly into tanks can empty the train almost immediately, so a 3 carriage train will serve oil for a very long time, and a second train can always be added.

Personally, I usually take the following approach (assuming you are talking about oil):
Until either the patch seems a really long way away, or I have trains for other things (like iron or copper), I use pipelines.
As soon as I need a major train network, I stop building pipelines and use trains from then onwards, as the trains have much better flexibility, can use existing infrastructure, are easier to build, and are much more future-proof.

To illustrate the difference in flow rate, a 1 pump per 1000 tile pipeline carries the same as a 3 carriage train every 5min 30sec. This is a very long time considering how fast a train system can run (particularly including multiple trains).
Even running with a pump every 10 tiles, it would take 55 seconds to move a 3 carriage train of fluid. That is either a lot of pumps, or not many trains. Also, track isn't very expensive, and you'll need it for other things as well.

To be fair, these are late game concerns - the 1 pump every 1000 tiles would supply 10 refineries with oil, so for the early-mid game, this would be easily enough. The point is that if you need enough oil to need to look a long way, then using trains isn't unreasonable.

For water, I usually find that there is enough water around to not be a problem. It is worth building power infrastructure near a lake though, as otherwise it can get difficult - big nuclear reactors tend to need loads of pumps to get enough water in.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Stannum1862 wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:18 pm
They may have mods installed...
Nope. He has Helmod and "afraid of darkness". I have this mods too.
Maybe it's an option in "settings", and maybe i've missed it?..
Anyway, thanks ;)
Ah, found it. It is a setting. I took the time to start watching the video in full and noticed him showing the slider for the number of visible rows for the toolbar (I remember when that used to be a research and didn't realize they moved it to a setting...). I can't read Russian, so opened mine up to the same screen and started looking around and found it. I took a screenshot of his open settings screen and placed a red box around the setting for you. :)
Attachments
Setting.jpg
Setting.jpg (400.11 KiB) Viewed 4802 times

Stannum1862
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Stannum1862 »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:00 am
Ah, found it. It is a setting..
Yep, got it, thank you. It was not necessary to run the game in russian, because i have some problems only to speak/write in English, but i read well :)
Thanks a lot

tuhe
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tuhe »

I often see rules of thumb along the lines of "you should do X if the distance is more than e.g. 1000 tiles", but I am not sure how long 1000 tiles are on the minimap. Is there a way to see how long e.g. 1000 tiles are on the minimap? (for instance, a distance indicator like on a regular map).

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Build a measuring stick blueprint with 100 tiles between both ends, and place it down 10 times.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

You can also show-tile-grid either with debug (F4-F5) or by pausing the game (Shift+Space).

Each chunk is 32x32 tiles, so 32 chunks are 1024 tiles long.

Chunks are also visible as boundaries on the (mini)map as fog of war or pollution or radar range when holding one in cursor or (debug) show-pollution-values or show-polluted-chunks (minimap too !).
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:52 pm
And if you are ok with mods:
https://mods.factorio.com/query/Tape?version=1.1
Not sure that would meet the requirement:
tuhe wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 am
Is there a way to see how long e.g. 1000 tiles are on the minimap?
If I remember correctly, these measuring tools are for normal view only, not for the minimap. Also, dragging the tape 1000 tiles in normal view may be hard, unless you have a very wide screen.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Pi-C wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:06 pm
FuryoftheStars wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:52 pm
And if you are ok with mods:
https://mods.factorio.com/query/Tape?version=1.1
Not sure that would meet the requirement:
tuhe wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:22 am
Is there a way to see how long e.g. 1000 tiles are on the minimap?
If I remember correctly, these measuring tools are for normal view only, not for the minimap. Also, dragging the tape 1000 tiles in normal view may be hard, unless you have a very wide screen.
Does the minimap even show 1000 tiles? :P I mean, that'd be 10 screens, right? I'll have to look later (can't now).

I've never used any of the tape measure mods, I just remembered seeing them and decided to link. Depending on how they have it setup, you may be able to do this from map view, though. *shrug*

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Minimap seems to show ~15x~15 chunks, that's ~480x~480 tiles :
minimap_chunks.png
minimap_chunks.png (41.42 KiB) Viewed 4651 times
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

Ok, thanks! So you’d have to move around anyway to get 1000 tile measurements via the minimap. :P

Defective_Soul
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Defective_Soul »

Is there way to see amounts of things/signals fully w/o stuff like 36k wich may be somwhere between 35500-36499 ?

Return to “Gameplay Help”