Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
NaahsTea
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by NaahsTea »

Hi guys,
I was wondering if there are any indecators ingame that show which modules are compatible with which recipes, or are there any online resources on this topic?

Thanks in advance!

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

NaahsTea wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:29 pm
I was wondering if there are any indecators ingame that show which modules are compatible with which recipes, or are there any online resources on this topic?
No ingame markers. The rule of thumb is:
  • final product → no productivity bonus
  • items under "intermediate product" category → productivity bonus
The problem is, internally this is essentially a marker for individual recipes. So you kind of have to remember the exception from those rules of thumb.
Even the wiki is not more specific than that:
https://wiki.factorio.com/Productivity_module

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Not a perfect way to remember it, but ... things that you can place down (inserters, assembly machines, etc.) are “final products” while things that you don’t (gears, wire, red/green/blue circuits) are “intermediate products” and can be Productivity Moduled.

Never mind that you use Inserters in making Fast and Long-Handed Inserters. Never mind that you use Fast Inserters in making Stack and Filter Inserters. Never mind that you use Yellow Belts in several things, Red Belts in making Blue Belts, and AM2’s in making AM3’s. They’re all still “finished products”...

detzt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by detzt »

The ratio of assembling machine 3 producing flying robot frames to chemical plants producing batteries seems to be different than I expected and I would like to know where my calculations are wrong.
My thoughts: 2 AM3s produce 4 flying robot frames every 20 seconds, i.e. 1 every 5s (ignoring crafting speed) and 5s / 1.25 = 4s considering crafting speed.
Since batteries take 4 seconds and the chemical plant has a crafting speed of 1, it should nicely result in a ratio of 2:1.

However, the AM occasionaly stops due to missing batteries (all other products are provided sufficiently).
Moreover this calculator also states I need 1.25 chemical plants to match 2 AM3s: http://doomeer.com/factorio/#s1132Pbbbb ... rrrrrrrrrr

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Flying Robot Frame is a 20 second craft.

AM3 is speed 1.25, meaning it takes 16 seconds to make one. Two AM3’s will make 1 FRF every 8 seconds (technically, 2 every 16 seconds).

Each FRF takes 2 Batteries. Since Battery is a 4 second craft, in theory, you should get by with 1 Battery maker for two FRF makers.

If that is not working ... then add 1 Battery maker and let the line produce excess.

detzt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by detzt »

Thank you for your answer. It is good to know that I am not the only one who thinks that this should work, but I still would like to know why it doesn't ;)

Of course it could be fixed by adding more Chemical Plants, but my issue is more about understanding what's happening than getting this factory snippet to work somehow.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

2 AM3s produce 0.125 FRF/s = 0.5 FRF/4s = 5 FRF/40s
1 chemplant produces 0.25 bat/s = 10 bat/40s
... and therefore should suffice.
( https://kirkmcdonald.github.io/calc.htm ... utd9ITfg== )

The factorio planner stating 1bat/4s needs 1.25 chemplants, simply is bugged.

Here is a BP, that shows that it is working nicely. The BP uses mod Creative Items
( https://mods.factorio.com/mod/CreativeItems ).

If the 2:1 ratio of AM3s and chemplant does not work for you, I would check if there is an sufficient amount of inputs, especially acid, as it might elude visual confirmation.

If you still insist that it is not working, then I think, everyone would be interested to see your savegame. :)

detzt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by detzt »

Thank you all for your help, it motivated me to create a minimal reproducable setup. During stripping off things I noticed that once in a longer while a battery was used to build an accumulator, which explains the shortage. Sometimes you cannot see the forest for the insertest ;)

In case you are bugged by the fact that the problem lied outside of the scope of information I provided to you, know that reassuring me that the math is correct helped me to accept that and look elsewhere (:

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

:thumbsup:

Report the wrong rates to the person who made the factorio planner.

detzt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by detzt »

Good idea, I've submitted a pull request to his repo :)

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I haven't been able to find any armor mods that allows greater than MK4 (20x20 grid and 60 inventory) - does such a beast exist?

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I don't know. But if you use the PA MK4 mod only for yourself, then do this:
  1. Unpack the zip of the mod of the PA MK4 (you will receive a folder with the same name) and delete the zip from which you unpacked it.
  2. I don't know that mod, but most likely it has a file named "data.lua". Open it in a text editor.
  3. Search for the section that defines the Power Armor MK4. Most likely you will find it by searching for "power-armor".
  4. Find the variables that define the grid size. Change them to the values you desire.
  5. Save and close the file.
  6. Start factorio and enjoy the changes.
If it worked: Congrats! Although this is a dirty hack, you are a newbie modder, but nevertheless a modder now.

abbayarra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

production modules on assemblers producing research

Post by abbayarra »

IS this working as designed?I am not sure if this is WOD or a bug.
When you have production modules, I'm using mark 3 on a mark 3 assembler. If I"m producing research flasks, lets say blue, when a regular run is completed you produce 3.

But when the yellow line completes and you produce the extra flasks, it is only 2.

Is that the way it is supposed to be?

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

https://wiki.factorio.com/Chemical_science_pack
https://wiki.factorio.com/Module#Productivity_module

IMO the result in both cases should be 2. If you get 3 blue flasks for crafting the recipe one time in the assembler, then something is bugged.

But I don't think it is bugged. So I guess there is an error in your observation. If you insist that you get 3 blue flasks from one craft, then I think everyone wold be interested to see your savegame :)

abbayarra
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by abbayarra »

That is what I get for asking a question before coffee. You are right. Blue creates two when complete, same as gray. The production modules are working correctly and producing the same as the base production.

scottm3
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by scottm3 »

hey guys i may have found a bug on 0.18.32
basically poison capsules don't do anything to biter spawner nests, but im not sure if im just misunderstanding their damage. i spammed 8 and nothing happened to them. surely that should do some damage or are they immune on purpose?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

scottm3 wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:45 am
hey guys i may have found a bug on 0.18.32
basically poison capsules don't do anything to biter spawner nests, but im not sure if im just misunderstanding their damage. i spammed 8 and nothing happened to them. surely that should do some damage or are they immune on purpose?
See here:
Poison capsules can be used to effectively kill worms as they are stationary. This technique is a relatively safe and cheap way to eliminate clusters of worms - it takes 3 poison capsules to kill a big Worm and the capsules can be thrown from outside the big Worm's spitting range. Since spawners are not affected by poison damage, poison capsules are useless against them.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

When I respawn I lost all items and cannot find find them anymore - where do I find them?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:42 pm
When I respawn I lost all items and cannot find find them anymore - where do I find them?
https://wiki.factorio.com/player wrote: When a player is killed, it leaves behind a corpse that lasts 15 minutes and contains all items that were located in the player's inventory, quickbar, trash slots, and equipment slots. 10 seconds after being killed, the player respawns at the center of the world.
If you don't pick up your items within these 15 minutes, they are lost forever. This is the main punishment for dying in Factorio.

Combatrex11
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Combatrex11 »

Beginner player here. After exploring a lot of tutorial map, I came to this pre-built furnace facility. How to enter this, it says I can't mine the walls. Also, this was next to a biters camp, but they didn't attack this facility, can I know why?
Attachments
Factorio 0.17.79 7_13_2020 7_50_08 PM.png
Factorio 0.17.79 7_13_2020 7_50_08 PM.png (3.04 MiB) Viewed 4011 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”