Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by brunzenstein »

Jap2.0 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:35 pm
brunzenstein wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:05 pm
How do I drive a Locomotive when in sandbox?
You should be able to hover over it with the mouse and press enter (or whatever you use to get into a locomotive).
Not sure on the second one; the only thing I can think of is manually undoing all of its effects via console, eg. /c game.player.create_character() to spawn a character (wiki).
Thank you - it works.
I have a problem to understand the functionality of the shown stacker / loader system I made a screenshots of who's video I'm incapable to find anymore. This solution seems to be very interesting - anybody knowledgable where this video is from or how it works?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Have not seen that video. And, its not playing for me in my iPad’s browser. But, anyway, what I think is going on there :

Each train has a “Pre-“ station as part of its route, right before the unloaded station. That Pre station has no wait condition, so the trains just go right on through, but it becomes disabled when the block just past it is occupied. This serves to add a lot of “distance” to the train route calculation, helping trains choose open bays rather than occupied ones. Basically, its to try to get all bays to be used rather than just the one(s) closest to the stacker.

If that’s not it, I apologize, as I said that video is not playing for me.

disentius
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by disentius »

Rain9441 did a video on his 5k spm megabase where he uses this, along with some very fancy circuit network stuff to not send more trains to the central unloader than it can process. I didn't figure out yet hoe he does that, precisely, yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KstIlP92Vis

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

Are there any mods or anything that can make the ground a little transparent when there are underground belts and pipes? I tend to get lost when designing or studying compact areas. I've done some searches but haven't been able to find anything that helps visualize underground stuff.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

disentius wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:36 pm
Rain9441 did a video on his 5k spm megabase where he uses this, along with some very fancy circuit network stuff to not send more trains to the central unloader than it can process. I didn't figure out yet hoe he does that, precisely, yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KstIlP92Vis
Thank you all (astroshak ,DJQuad, disentius), you were most helpful indeed

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

DJQuad wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm
Are there any mods or anything that can make the ground a little transparent when there are underground belts and pipes? I tend to get lost when designing or studying compact areas. I've done some searches but haven't been able to find anything that helps visualize underground stuff.
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PickerPipeTools

If this doesn't work, the author could probably find a solution anyway.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Satangel
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Satangel »

Can I safely switch from my 0.18 version of the game with a lot of mods to a multiplayer 0.17.79 vanilla version of the game ?

I'm not the host of the multiplayer game, can I just everytime I want to play with my mate revert the update in Steam ?

And when I want to play solo I just update to 0.18.x and continue with my world?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

DJQuad wrote:
Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:31 pm
This mod has some nice features. There is an equivalent for belts somewhere but I couldn't find it.

SSayan
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by SSayan »

Hello,
Just started the game few days ago and loving it so far, although I can already see it will become too complex for me :D

Anyway I have a question that should be very basic but can't seem to find the answer...
Is there a way to move a building? I keep removing and replacing it just next to its previous position to adapt its position and then I lose all the material in it etc.
Is there a way to just pick up the building as it is and move it?

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

SSayan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:26 am
Hello,
Just started the game few days ago and loving it so far, although I can already see it will become too complex for me :D

Anyway I have a question that should be very basic but can't seem to find the answer...
Is there a way to move a building? I keep removing and replacing it just next to its previous position to adapt its position and then I lose all the material in it etc.
If your willing to play with mods, there is Picker Dollies which allows just that. However, playing with mods will disable achievements, at least if you're playing on Steam (hearsay, as I'm not playing on Steam). If you've installed Factorio locally (i.e. if you've downloaded it here), achievements will be collected separately for modded games, so you'll lose the achievements you've gained so far in your non-modded game.
Last edited by Pi-C on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

SSayan wrote:
Hello,
Give it some time, what seems complicated now will seem simple in not so long. Before you know it you'll be doing a play through with full Angels and Bobs... :mrgreen:
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Pi-C wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:50 am
SSayan wrote:
If your willing to play with mods, there is Picker Dollies which allows just that.
Moving buildings its not properly supported for mods so if you use something like Picker Dollies on any "complex" structure it can cause some weird things to happen. Granted none of the vanilla ones and only a few modded buildings are "complex" so it works fine most of the time. Regardless of that i recommend installing Don't lose in progress ingredients so you won't ever lose anything when picking buildings up again.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

eradicator wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:11 am
Moving buildings its not properly supported for mods so if you use something like Picker Dollies on any "complex" structure it can cause some weird things to happen. Granted none of the vanilla ones and only a few modded buildings are "complex" so it works fine most of the time. Regardless of that i recommend installing Don't lose in progress ingredients so you won't ever lose anything when picking buildings up again.
For me, moving assemblers wasn't the main reason to install Picker Dollies -- that's just a nice side effect. What makes this mod really valuable to me is that I move around combinators and entities they are connected to without losing their circuit network settings and connections. I agree that this is something new players will need rarely, or even at all. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I'm not sure if this is a simple question but I'm not sure why the power output for both steam and solar is limited to 36 MW despite having much more available.

https://imgur.com/a/GRDO7gW

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

DJQuad wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:41 am
I'm not sure if this is a simple question but I'm not sure why the power output for both steam and solar is limited to 36 MW despite having much more available.

https://imgur.com/a/GRDO7gW
One boiler only provides enough steam for two steam engines. I'm not sure what's happening with the solar, if you post a save I (or someone else) can take a look at it.

Edit: your power panel only shows 3 solar panels connected, so I'm guessing there's a broken power line somewhere.

Edit 2: yeah, your medium power pole isn't connected to the substations in your solar farm, so it's only picking up the 3 solar panels within it's range (also hence why no accumulator capacity is showing up).
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

Thank you. That helped a lot!

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I want to setup an rail network and look for a solution for mass producing the necessary items (rails, red & green cables, lights, power lines, electric poles, signals, robo,ports e.g.) needed in a most efficient isolated setup. The raw products I have ready but I need huge amounts of this items I want to place.

I want to duplicate this for line railway then over and over.
Can anyone please give me a helping hand or a BP?
rail.png
here the BP strings to the needed products:

and the diagnal one:

idea from BojBoj

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

SSayan wrote:
Hello,

You don't loose anything when deleting a entity. The material is stored in the gamers inventory.
Try also Copy & paste (command c / command v)

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

brunzenstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:17 pm
I want to duplicate this for line railway then over and over.
Can anyone please give me a helping hand or a BP?
That's a simple question but it's hard to give it a short answer.

I would treat the problem as if it is a new type of science. As if 1 pack of science require the ingredient of 1 of your blueprint. Then build a production chain like for science to produce the different pieces ( rails poles signals and so on) in the correct ratios. Instead of 10 science pack per minute you will produce 1 blueprint worth of building material. This to have a rough shape.

Depending on how/where you want to paste it, you may need to also write the different quantites into a constant combinator, then multiply by "-x"; Where "x" is the number of time you want to paste the blueprint. Then you know everything that is negative is missing, in a wagon, or in a chest, or in a logistic network. And you can stop the machines/inserters that produce things that are not negative. This way you make sure you will have no unbalanced supply of things after you paste stuff. This to more precisely control how the production is dispatched. ( filter on wagon works too but is not as precise :) ).

This way you could make a "loading bay" and say for example 8x and 2y, meaning that it will automatically load a train with the materials to paste 8 times a straight lines and 2 times a diagonal one. then you could drive the train yourself and use your personnal robotports, or you can prepare station for material to unload in logistic network, and you use the map view to place the blueprints depending i guess on the scale and time you want to invest.

hopefully it helps but no BP :)

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

mmmPI wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:09 am
hopefully it helps but no BP :)
Indeed that helped to set this up.
To treat the items needed like a sience pack / BP and determine with a constant combinator the approx quantity is a clever idea
But it gets really heavy if you consider this junction
So a BP idea would be helpful indeed
4_line.png

Return to “Gameplay Help”