Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Ormy
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by Ormy »

SkiCarver wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:11 am
Question;

How can I find out how many robots are waiting for recharge? I would like to be able to check on this to determine if I need to place more robotports, but I cannot find a way to do it without coming across a robotport with a circle of robots.

Many thanks in anticipation.
My solution is similar to yours. When you press F4 there is an option to show bots on the map. Enable this, go to map view, if you see circles of bots around multiple roboports you need to add more roboports.

Be aware though, once you increase bot cargo capacity not as many bots are needed for same throughput so not as much charging is needed. So if you're just on the cusp of finishing a cargo capacity research then might be worth waiting for it to finish and bots to re-settle to decide if you need more roboports.

If you're still having bottlenecks with bot charging then there are mods to increase recharge rate and number of bots a roboport can charge simultaneously. Also there are mods which make bot cargo capacity, speed, and battery capacity infinite researches, I find those very useful.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Ormy wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:09 am
SkiCarver wrote:
Question;

How can I find out how many robots are waiting for recharge? I would like to be able to check on this to determine if I need to place more robotports, but I cannot find a way to do it without coming across a robotport with a circle of robots.

My solution is similar to yours. When you press F4 there is an option to show bots on the map. Enable this, go to map view, if you see circles of bots around multiple roboports you need to add more roboports.

Be aware though, once you increase bot cargo capacity not as many bots are needed for same throughput so not as much charging is needed. So if you're just on the cusp of finishing a cargo capacity research then might be worth waiting for it to finish and bots to re-settle to decide if you need more roboports.

If you're still having bottlenecks with bot charging then there are mods to increase recharge rate and number of bots a roboport can charge simultaneously. Also there are mods which make bot cargo capacity, speed, and battery capacity infinite researches, I find those very useful.
excellent, thanks.

SajmonG
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SajmonG »

If i right click on an assembling machine and then left click on a requester chest i copy the recipe to the chest. If i choose the iron gear wheel on an assembling machine for instance, iron plate wil be delivered to the requester chest. My question is what determine how many of the requested product it will be?
Sometimes the requester chest ask for hundreds of some products. My logistict robots start to deliver these before I can reduce the amount. I think it is unecessary to deliver a lot of products but I like the easy way to copy a recipe to a requester chest.
Thanks.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

the requester chest is automatically configured to request enough ingredients for 30 seconds of continuous crafting with the assembly speed and the receipe time.

SajmonG
Inserter
Inserter

Post by SajmonG »

mmmPI wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:45 pm
the requester chest is automatically configured to request enough ingredients for 30 seconds of continuous crafting with the assembly speed and the receipe time.
I understand. So one way is to put an assembling machine with a lower crafting speed then. Thank you for the answer!

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

SkiCarver wrote:
Question;

As others have said, I don't believe it can be done globally. But it is possible to see exact numbers on a per roboport basis - rather than just relying on counting clouds of bots. You can get extra info through the UI, by enabling extra tooltip debug info:

EDIT to add: The info below appears to only apply to 0.17. 0.16.51 doesn't have the 'show-debug-info-in-tooltips' setting, so I don't know a way to get this info in 0.16.51 - it seems likely that it's not possible. So if you're playing on 0.16, you probably have to upgrade to see this info.
  1. Press F4 to open the Debug settings menu
  2. Enable 'show-debug-info-in-tooltips'
  3. Now hover over a given Roboport to get its tooltip. You will see there is some extra info in the tooltip. The new debug fields are marked with a blue dot:
The debug fields relevant to this discussion are:
  1. charging: will be 0-4
  2. waiting to charge: the number clustered around, waiting for an empty charge spot
  3. robots to station: how many bots are scheduled to enter this roboport, ie. they have finished their job. They need to recharge before they can do this.
  4. logistic and construction robots stationed: the number of idle bots in the inventory of this roboport; this is not new info, as it's also shown in the normal tooltip using item icons.
I have found this debug information to be quite interesting while I'm doing tests on optimal bot-based smelting and other designs.

When analysing this info It's important, in my view, to consider not only 'waiting to charge' but also 'robots to station'. It may seem bad if 'waiting to charge' is high, however if 'robots to station' is also high, it may well be fine. Bots recharge when they have finished their task, right before they go to the inventory of a roboport. So having lots of bots waiting to charge is not necessarily a problem, if they are only waiting to then go into the roboport inventory.

I believe that the ideal bot network configuration is to achieve a state where bots only recharge when they have finished their job. In that situation having high 'waiting to charge' numbers is usually fine. This requires that you have more bots than are being actively used for the given task, so that every new logistic job will always go to an idle bot, allowing the already-active bots to complete their task, recharge, and go to sit in a roboport. If this is achieved, bot travel times are never extended by bots charging and waiting to charge.
Last edited by TheBloke on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

TheBloke wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:40 am
SkiCarver wrote:
Question;

Thanks, i will take a look.

bagalas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bagalas »

Hi there,
For some reason holding down the middle mouse button zooms in and I cannot firgure out how to stopd this. Checked the conrtols like 5 times carefully going over all bindings but middle mouse button is not binded. I even changed the filter toggle which was default binded to it.
And still, whenever I hit or hold down the middle mouse the game zooms in like if I would be scrolling upwards. Middle mouse is the push to tolk key for Discrod and it is realy uncofortable that wheneever I speak the games zooms all the way in.
Any idea how to stop this?

Thanks,

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

bagalas wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:43 pm
Hi there,
For some reason holding down the middle mouse button zooms in and I cannot firgure out how to stopd this. Checked the conrtols like 5 times carefully going over all bindings but middle mouse button is not binded. I even changed the filter toggle which was default binded to it.
And still, whenever I hit or hold down the middle mouse the game zooms in like if I would be scrolling upwards. Middle mouse is the push to tolk key for Discrod and it is realy uncofortable that wheneever I speak the games zooms all the way in.
Any idea how to stop this?

Thanks,
I have to ask the obvious question, if you scroll to the bottom of this page and then hold the middle mouse button, what happens?

bagalas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bagalas »

SkiCarver wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:49 pm

I have to ask the obvious question, if you scroll to the bottom of this page and then hold the middle mouse button, what happens?
maybe its too late but I'm not sure what suppose to. Like, nothing. In Google chrome hiting or holding the middle button activates the 4 directional scroll movement (or whatever thats called).

bagalas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bagalas »

bagalas wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:26 pm
SkiCarver wrote:

maybe its too late but I'm not sure what suppose to. Like, nothing. In Google chrome hiting or holding the middle button activates the 4 directional scroll movement (or whatever thats called).
so, I found out that the Logitec M500 mouse has a special wheel which can be pushed not just down but to the left and right, which makes the wheel itself three button in one. On default this does nothing but Factorio registers this left and right "button" of the wheel as up and down.
I'm currently looking for a way to disable this function in the mouse as for my finger it is impossible to push the wheel down while not pushing tot he side as well.

bagalas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bagalas »

bagalas wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 pm
bagalas wrote:
SkiCarver wrote:

so, I found out that the Logitec M500 mouse has a special wheel which can be pushed not just down but to the left and right, which makes the wheel itself three button in one. On default this does nothing but Factorio registers this left and right "button" of the wheel as up and down.
I'm currently looking for a way to disable this function in the mouse as for my finger it is impossible to push the wheel down while not pushing tot he side as well.
Had to download the Logitech Setpoint software to manually change the button behavior. Cannot be turned off but if I use keystroke assigment and leave the field empty it basicly does nothing afterwards.
This solved my problem in factorio but there is still the issue why it registered side wheel buttons as up and down scrolling in the first place. This is something the developers might want to look into. Or not, since its a very specific issue with this specific mouse with this very specific "feature". Wish the old M500 was still manufactureds.

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

bagalas wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:56 pm
This solved my problem in factorio but there is still the issue why it registered side wheel buttons as up and down scrolling in the first place. This is something the developers might want to look into. Or not, since its a very specific issue with this specific mouse with this very specific "feature". Wish the old M500 was still manufactureds.
Are you on macOS?

I remember that the devs had to put in an unusual fix for macOS. On macOS, holding shift while doing a mouse wheel scroll up/down is mapped by the OS to scroll left/right. Bug report. It only applies to mouse wheel, not trackpad scroll.

There's no standard OS configuration that can change it, although there is some (commercial) third-party software that's able to remove the shift+up/down = left/right mapping (SteerMouse.)

Therefore the devs put in a workaround: detect if a left/right scroll was done, and use it in the game as Shift+mouse wheel up/down. Otherwise it was impossible to map shift+mouse wheel up/down, which is used for scrolling through blueprint books and clipboard history. This workaround isn't new - it was definitely in place as of 0.16 at least, probably earlier. Though it had to be updated in 0.17 (hence the above bug report.)

So if you're on macOS, I think this may explain what you saw.

bagalas
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bagalas »

TheBloke wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:21 am

Are you on macOS?

I remember that the devs had to put in an unusual fix for macOS. On macOS, holding shift while doing a mouse wheel scroll up/down is mapped by the OS to scroll left/right. Bug report. It only applies to mouse wheel, not trackpad scroll.

There's no standard OS configuration that can change it, although there is some (commercial) third-party software that's able to remove the shift+up/down = left/right mapping (SteerMouse.)

Therefore the devs put in a workaround: detect if a left/right scroll was done, and use it in the game as Shift+mouse wheel up/down. Otherwise it was impossible to map shift+mouse wheel up/down, which is used for scrolling through blueprint books and clipboard history. This workaround isn't new - it was definitely in place as of 0.16 at least, probably earlier. Though it had to be updated in 0.17 (hence the above bug report.)

So if you're on macOS, I think this may explain what you saw.
Appriciate the explanation. But no. I'm on a good old Windows PC.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

how do I lock a item in the Quickbar on a Mac?
I canot find proper key binding

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:25 am
Toggle filter (Command + Right Click) might be what are looking for?

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

posila wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am
brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:25 am
Toggle filter (Command + Right Click) might be what are looking for?
Toggle filter (Command + Right Click) clears the slot

TheBloke
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TheBloke »

brunzenstein wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:55 pm
Toggle filter (Command + Right Click) clears the slot
Are you on 0.17, with the new Quickbar?

You place an item in a Quickbar slot either by:
  • Holding an item in your hand, then clicking it (Left Mouse Button) into any empty slot;
  • Clicking with LMB on an empty slot, which will bring up the Item Selection window, in which you can choose the item for that slot.
Slots must be empty before a new item can go into them - use Cmd-Right-Click (Toggle Filter) to empty slots, as you just saw.

Full instructions are on the Wiki Quickbar page.

If you're on 0.16, then slots are both locked and unlocked with Cmd-Right-Click - same as with your own inventory and a cargo wagon (the 0.16 quickbar is a standard inventory, unlike the new one in 0.17 which is a separate UI element.) In 0.16 you can either place an item in a slot first, then lock it to that slot by Cmd-Right-Click. Or you can Cmd-Right-Click on an empty slot to get the Item Selection window, where you choose what item that slot is filtered for, preventing other items from going to that slot.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

bagalas wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:39 pm
bagalas wrote:
SkiCarver wrote:

I have a MX620 with a similar wheel, and honestly, they dropped the ball on that one.
The ability to sidescroll (when it even works!) is just not worth the wonky middle-click... (though in my case it tends to move up or down when I press it, rather than to the sides...)
But I got somewhat lucky on that one, as unlike for the M500, I also have a search button, which I re-bound to middle click !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

The Linux version of Factorio can fork the game save process and do it in the background whilst you play on. Does this also happen with Linux headless? I assume it would, but wanted to check.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Return to “Gameplay Help”