Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by BlueTemplar »

Does it integrate Ion's UI Tweaks: Less Unplugged ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

It seems nice, but the mod is deprecated...

A quick question, is it possible to choose which side you climb down from your locomotive?

Another one, with one loco in each direction, is the train slower than only one loco, i.e is the back-directed locomotive slowing the first?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Porter65 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:05 pm
A quick question, is it possible to choose which side you climb down from your locomotive?

Another one, with one loco in each direction, is the train slower than only one loco, i.e is the back-directed locomotive slowing the first?
At least for now, you always exit on the left side. That is what makes LHD (left hand drive) rail designs a bit better in Factorio, as you tend to exit on the side of your buildings.

The more locos facing in the same direction the faster the train. I do believe that extra wagons will slow down a train, and so should an inactive loco facing in the opposite direction (which is effectively a very heavy wagon). The most efficient train layouts are 1-2, 1-4-1SD, 1-4-2-4-1SD (where SD stands for same direction). It does not matter where in a train are the locomotives, but these layouts allow 8/4/2 wagon trains to share the same stops.

ravor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ravor »

Why, out of nowhere, some of my items are "planned for deconstruction"?

https://i.imgur.com/VL1iLGe.png
https://i.imgur.com/9sZDPLb.png
https://i.imgur.com/5p0nNUR.png

Im playing on multiplayer but my friend swears its not him. I dont know what to do

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

ravor wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Im playing on multiplayer but my friend swears its not him. I dont know what to do
Grab the deconstruction planner (the red one), hold shift down, and highlight those "planned for deconstruction" items. Release and they should no longer be planned for deconstruction.

ravor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ravor »

zOldBulldog wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 pm
ravor wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:39 pm

Grab the deconstruction planner (the red one), hold shift down, and highlight those "planned for deconstruction" items. Release and they should no longer be planned for deconstruction.
Thanks. But what else could cause it, there is a bug in the latest beta version who is doing it? Or is my friend? We went in a long arguing about it and he swears its not him. I dont know what else could be

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Do you or your friend use a keyboard that is not QWERTY, or have changed some keyboard shortcuts ?

ravor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ravor »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 pm
Do you or your friend use a keyboard that is not QWERTY, or have changed some keyboard shortcuts ?
No, we use the standard keyboard layout. I dont believe we have changed anything. We lost all our settings in the latest beta update. But even if it was the case we would notice the object we interacted recently was bugged. Some random pipe connected to the boiler was marked. We didnt touched that part for hours

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

The most likely reason is an accidental highlighting with the deconstructor.

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Sooooo... Pollution!

I'm at day 90 (25.000 UPS makes a day) meaning 10:25 hours in playing time, and my production is still quite low, humble even (top production is 300 iron per minute, don't laugh, that's a death world and my first game since 2016). And despite that one of my mod tells me that pollution account for 70% of the bitter evolution. How that's possible? By this time, I guess most players would be churning 10k steel a minute.

Pollution, again. If pollution seldom reach a bitter base, it means they will very rarely manage to spawn bitters for a little raiding, right? Or do bitters nest benefit from a 'base production' of bitters? I fear having to face tier III bitters, the 350 HP version, in number. My armor piercing turrets would not hold, probably.

Trees: barring a mod, do they regrow? Because I inadvertently :roll: used my flamethrower near a very large forest and to my dismay everything burned, these nice little pollution-soakers, aptly named trees are gone!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Well, 500 iron per minute is nothing to sneeze at !
(Also, don't confuse speedrunners and people doing "megabases" as "most players"...)
I'm at 52 hours on Death World Marathon, with 1k iron/minute (600 average over the last 50 hours), and with evo distribution : 60% for time and 22% for pollution...

No, attack biters (unlike defense and expansion ones) are from pollution only.
Yeah, you *can* defeat blue biters using only piercing ammo, but I'd suggest getting oil instead !

Nope, trees don't regrow - I'm always sad when that happens... (basically reloading) - trees are just so good for pollution control !

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Thanks BlueTemplar!

I'll probably install Fish & Wood Service then, hopefully it won't kill my UPS. At worst I'll deinstall it if necessary.

Tangential question I'm wondering how Factorio manages to load all mods without having the player to re-order them? Even RimWorld, which is done by a quite talented developer and has extensive modding support needs you to re-arrange mods so they don't step on each other. But for Factorio, nada, zip, you drop the mod and automagically it works...

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Mods stepping on each other does happen :
For instance : viewtopic.php?f=219&t=59268

I'm afraid I know even less about RimWorld modding than I know about Factorio modding...
Maybe because of each mod using its own sandbox ?
Or thanks to the clear dependencies ?
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Modd ... loads_mods
I can't find an example right now, but if a mod author knows that his mod is going to be incompatible with another mod, he can define it as being an "incompatible dependency".

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

Ok... thanks. I don't know much about Rimworld modding, but I know it is much more sensitive to order than Factorio. Oh well...

I have troubles with my train tracks, I often get 'no path' for portions that I can travel on manually, back and forth. Is the message also triggered if 2 trains are in the same segment? Because I have already an automated train, but the 2nd find no path. Is it a kind of anti collision system?

zOldBulldog
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by zOldBulldog »

Porter65 wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:37 pm
Ok... thanks. I don't know much about Rimworld modding, but I know it is much more sensitive to order than Factorio. Oh well...

I have troubles with my train tracks, I often get 'no path' for portions that I can travel on manually, back and forth. Is the message also triggered if 2 trains are in the same segment? Because I have already an automated train, but the 2nd find no path. Is it a kind of anti collision system?
Most likely bad signals. There is a tutorial in-game, and there are several youtube tutorials too. Essential knowledge to have.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Yeah, watch out though, you need blue science to unlock the "hardest", and therefore the most important rail tutorial...

Porter65
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Porter65 »

(1) ah ok. I think my problem is tied to my attempt to have a train with 2 loco facing different directions. It don't work in Factorio (I mean with automation), as the game don't understand it needs to reverse direction upon reaching the first station... If you have a tutorial or article on using double-direction trains, I'll be an avid reader/watcher of the document!

(2) Returning to my previous questions on pollution and biters generations. How can biters bases, never touched by pollution, generate little swarming raids from time to time? And why several biters bases which are bathing in the pollution of my main factory are not attacking me since several hours? They were quite relentless at some point, but they have stopped attacking me. I mean, they are absorbing my main pollution. Is it a bug? Are they accumulating for a truly massive swarm? Are they moving under Nauvi surface biters to others bases? ;) (the one that are not touched by pollution but raiding me)

This is making no sense to me. The bases that are not touched by pollution attacks me, the bases who are soaking up my pollution are not!

Bonus question, I have some biters setting up a new base some 2 chunks from my outpost! I thought they never settled so close, weird. Time to send the assault bots!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

(1) There shouldn't be an issue with that. Just make sure that the stations are on the right side of the track.

(2) Those are likely expansion parties.
No idea.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

A question that came up back when environment sounds were added: What exactly is the difference between the 'Game effects' and the 'Environment sounds' volume sliders?
Former moderator.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

You can easily check that yourself. ;)

Return to “Gameplay Help”