Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by SuicideJunkie »

Has there been any !!Science!! done on steam temperature mixing?
For example, if you mix nuclear steam (500) with coal steam (165) are there any inefficiencies or rounding issues that will change the total energy value?

Nitrah
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Nitrah »

Looking for advice on how to adjust the biter settings. I'm sure I can just trial and error it, but if someone has already done the grunt work for me, it would be amazing.

I currently playing on death world marathon settings. When I first started, I didn't like that the biters seemed so ineffectual and I didn't like that the research was coming before I really had a chance to process or implement the previous technologies.

Now, I'm coming up on getting tech to launch my first rocket, and not only are the biters ineffectual again after setting up flame turrets around 3 thick walls with roboports to repair, but clearing land is a repetitive slog.

I would optimally like it if I could get settings such that the biters don't establish bases quite as densely, but also mount much larger assaults as their evolution gets higher. Right now, I have two flame thrower turrets, pipe to ground, pipe to ground, flamethrower turrets all around my base, and the most the biters can do is chew down one wall per wave, and that only happens if there are more than two behemoth biters in the wave.

How do I adjust the settings so they don't build so many bases, but do make even larger attack waves? Is that possible, or are the two mutually exclusive?

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Nitrah wrote:Looking for advice on how to adjust the biter settings. I'm sure I can just trial and error it, but if someone has already done the grunt work for me, it would be amazing.

I currently playing on death world marathon settings. When I first started, I didn't like that the biters seemed so ineffectual and I didn't like that the research was coming before I really had a chance to process or implement the previous technologies.

Now, I'm coming up on getting tech to launch my first rocket, and not only are the biters ineffectual again after setting up flame turrets around 3 thick walls with roboports to repair, but clearing land is a repetitive slog.

I would optimally like it if I could get settings such that the biters don't establish bases quite as densely, but also mount much larger assaults as their evolution gets higher. Right now, I have two flame thrower turrets, pipe to ground, pipe to ground, flamethrower turrets all around my base, and the most the biters can do is chew down one wall per wave, and that only happens if there are more than two behemoth biters in the wave.

How do I adjust the settings so they don't build so many bases, but do make even larger attack waves? Is that possible, or are the two mutually exclusive?
Yes. Note that for some of this, you'll have to go into the advanced settings.

For early game, if you want it to be slower or encounter the biters earlier, you can increase the recipie costs from normal to expensive (which does exactly what it says - note that it messes up some ratios), or increase the technology price multiplier (which will make technologies take X times as many science packs to research), or decrease the size of the starting area (which will make biters spawn closer to you).

For the rest, there are many ways to deal with that. Increasing science and/or item costs can make it so that there is less of a technology difference between you and the biters, which may help some. Decreasing the frequency of biter bases significantly (and possibly increasing the size) should do what you want to some extent. Then we get into expansion. If you want them to be less dense, you probably want to increase the minimum distance significantly between bases (and maybe the maximum). You might want to increase group size and decrease cooldown as well (more on that next). Next we have attacks. There are four things that trigger attacks: the player being nearby or firing artillery (which should be irrelevant), biters coming near your structures while expanding, or pollution. Expansion will probably be a small portion of the attacks, but increasing the size and frequency of these might lead to some more or larger attacks, (as well as ensuring that they have fairly large bases), especially after they have settled their area throughly (according to how you set expansion distance rules). Pollution will probably cause the vast majority of your attacks, and there are many ways you can use that to increase the difficulty. Decreasing the amount absorbed per damaged tree, dissipation rate, and diffusion ratio will mean that more pollution reaches the biters. I'm not sure exacly how pollution to damage trees would affect it - thinking about it, it probably would in several ways, so I'll skip that for now. More pollution also means that biters evolve faster (more on that next). Evolution is how quickly higher tiers of biters appear. It is affected by time, pollution, and biter bases destroyed. You can incresase any or all of these somewhat to add some challenge as well.

That's pretty much everything I can think of at the moment, let me know if there's anything else you want.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Greybeard_LXI
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Greybeard_LXI »

SuicideJunkie wrote:Has there been any !!Science!! done on steam temperature mixing?
For example, if you mix nuclear steam (500) with coal steam (165) are there any inefficiencies or rounding issues that will change the total energy value?
I'm pretty sure those are different fluids that do not mix at all. You get one or the other, and Murphy's Law says it is the wrong one.

SuicideJunkie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SuicideJunkie »

They're both plain old steam, just at different temperatures.
A while back, I bled off the hot steam from a test reactor into my standard power plant, and the steam in the tanks mixed up to ~350 degrees with the turbines showing an intermediate level of "available performance".

I don't know how much energy came out however.

Fishqt
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fishqt »

How do you chat between two forces on a multiplayer map?

I used to be able to just use the console to send messages and the others would see it, but now my friends who are on other forces in MP no longer see what I'm typing.

Kayanor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Kayanor »

Fishqt wrote:How do you chat between two forces on a multiplayer map?

I used to be able to just use the console to send messages and the others would see it, but now my friends who are on other forces in MP no longer see what I'm typing.

Code: Select all

/shout <message>
Sends a message to all teams.
Former moderator.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

hey ;)

How much sulfuric acid do i need to get uran? Or how much uran can i mine with a 25k tank acid?

Uran patch is some far away, if i need not much i maybe use just barrels to fill a tank once.. if much need maybe train? :/

Loewchen
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Loewchen »

Nemac wrote:hey ;)

How much sulfuric acid do i need to get uran? Or how much uran can i mine with a 25k tank acid?

Uran patch is some far away, if i need not much i maybe use just barrels to fill a tank once.. if much need maybe train? :/
See: https://wiki.factorio.com/Uranium_ore

Jap2.0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Jap2.0 »

Nemac wrote:hey ;)

25k acid will get you 25k ore.
There are 10 types of people: those who get this joke and those who don't.

Nemac
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Nemac »

thanks..

to few on a 370k patch :/ will try pipeline or train :)

zakman
Inserter
Inserter

Post by zakman »

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a circuit similar to an SR latch that will open a power switch when it senses a power loss on one side of the switch. I have a couple of outposts that are partially self-sufficient with solar and accumulators, and I'd like to make sure that in the event my main grid goes down for whatever reason, the outpost grid is isolated immediately so that the rest of my factory doesn't kill those accumulators right away.

I had hoped that there would be a simple "power" signal that I could use, but apparently that doesn't exist. Any advice would be appreciated.

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

zakman wrote:I'd like to know if it's possible to create a circuit similar to an SR latch that will open a power switch when it senses a power loss on one side of the switch. I have a couple of outposts that are partially self-sufficient with solar and accumulators, and I'd like to make sure that in the event my main grid goes down for whatever reason, the outpost grid is isolated immediately so that the rest of my factory doesn't kill those accumulators right away.

I had hoped that there would be a simple "power" signal that I could use, but apparently that doesn't exist. Any advice would be appreciated.
The accus provide a signal between 0 and 100 what shows the fill level.

Connect it to the sr latch and you're done.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

steinio wrote:
zakman wrote:I'd like to know if it's possible to create a circuit similar to an SR latch that will open a power switch when it senses a power loss on one side of the switch. I have a couple of outposts that are partially self-sufficient with solar and accumulators, and I'd like to make sure that in the event my main grid goes down for whatever reason, the outpost grid is isolated immediately so that the rest of my factory doesn't kill those accumulators right away.

The accus provide a signal between 0 and 100 what shows the fill level.

Connect it to the sr latch and you're done.
You don't even need the SR latch. If the accumulator is drained below 100% it won't immediately stop and come back to 100%. Just set the power switch to "A=100" and you're fine. The signal should come from the main grid side in this case.
Or even more sophisticated: Connect to an accumulator on the outpost side with signal A and to another accumulator on the main side with B. The power switch should be "on" if B>A. You might want to use an SR-latch here to avoid too much flickering.
Last edited by Bauer on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aeternus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Aeternus »

It's actually quite simple. You do the power latch but put the accu on the main base side. If (baseside accu = 100%) close switch. Base power grid is good and has surplus power. For solar powered base, you can set a value lower then 100% to prevent the outpost disconnecting during a normal depletion of batteries at night.
Default: Open switch.
This scheme is also useful for triggering a warning on the switch being open. It can also signal an interruption in mains power to your outpost (biters chewing on a power pole).

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

Nemac wrote:thanks..

to few on a 370k patch :/ will try pipeline or train :)
how to get the optimum ratio for trains:

reserve 32 slots for uranium ore
4 slots for acid barrels
4 slots for empty barrels
If you want the precice amount of acid limit the input to 32 barrels (don't forget to reduce the stack size to 1)
One barrel of acid is enough for one stack of uranium ore.
No need for a tank at the uranium mine.

thereaverofdarkness
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by thereaverofdarkness »

What's the range of the tank's cannon? It says 25 on the tank and 30 on the ammo.

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

When I've last played on 0.15.x, and searching the internets, distinctly remember Assemblers to stop producing once they have 2x of their production run in storage.
Starting new game now (with mostly QoL mods), noticed that Assembler buildings keep working until they have full stack in storage, yet game doesn't say that they were changed by any mod (e.g. hovering over these in inventory).

Is it new change in vanilla game?
Or have Assemblers always worked that way (until full output stack) under some conditions?

EDIT: seem to happen with copper cables and iron rods at least, but not electronic parts.

LazyLoneLion
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by LazyLoneLion »

mk-fg wrote:When I've last played on 0.15.x, and searching the internets, distinctly remember Assemblers to stop producing once they have 2x of their production run in storage.
There is a simple small mistake:
Output of an assembler was always limited by a stack.
Input was limited by twofold of necessary items for one output.

mk-fg
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mk-fg »

LazyLoneLion wrote: There is a simple small mistake:
Output of an assembler was always limited by a stack.
Input was limited by twofold of necessary items for one output.
Ah, sorry, guess I didn't phrase it correctly. ---
EDIT: nevermind, you're completely right, and I'm apparently just misremembering things and bad at testing. Thanks!

Return to “Gameplay Help”