Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?

reactchemicals
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by reactchemicals »

I figured out why when choosing the Advance Chemical Plant in Angel's mod in doesn't show the recipe for Rocket Fuel.
You cannot use the mods CMHMod or CMHMod Bob End Game. IF you remove these, then it shows up

Hope this helps someone

Captain-Mango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Captain-Mango »

brunzenstein wrote:https://youtu.be/4mSVYX8rEvE
Thanks brunzenstein ! Bookmarked.

Captain-Mango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Captain-Mango »

How do I add get lubricant out of the chemical plant and into the assembling machine? It'd driving me nuts lol

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Captain-Mango wrote:How do I add get lubricant out of the chemical plant and into the assembling machine? It'd driving me nuts lol
Put an assembling machine 2 or 3 down, then select the recipe for it that requires lubricant. At one side of the assembler a pipe connection will appear, enable the ALT view to see it more clearly. You can change the side the lubricant is input from by rotating the assembler (press R). After you connected the pipe input with the output of the chemical factory the lubricant will flow into the assembler.
quick links: log file | graphical issues | wiki

Captain-Mango
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Captain-Mango »

daniel34 wrote:
Captain-Mango wrote:How do I add get lubricant out of the chemical plant and into the assembling machine? It'd driving me nuts lol
Put an assembling machine 2 or 3 down, then select the recipe for it that requires lubricant. At one side of the assembler a pipe connection will appear, enable the ALT view to see it more clearly. You can change the side the lubricant is input from by rotating the assembler (press R). After you connected the pipe input with the output of the chemical factory the lubricant will flow into the assembler.
Fantastic, TYVM!

RedRam567
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Belt balancer terms/names

Post by RedRam567 »

I'm a new player (100hrs) and I'm trying to find a 8->4 belt balancer and keep finding terms like "perfect, count perfect, count to count perfect, N to N, N to M" Can anyone tell me what these mean? Thanks in advanced.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Belt balancer terms/names

Post by Engimage »

RedRam567 wrote:I'm a new player (100hrs) and I'm trying to find a 8->4 belt balancer and keep finding terms like "perfect, count perfect, count to count perfect, N to N, N to M" Can anyone tell me what these mean? Thanks in advanced.
N to M in your case is 8 to 4. N - input lines count, M - output lines count.
Perfect means it outputs perfectly equal amount of items on all outputs no matter how many inputs get items.
8 to 4 balancer is pretty simple extension of 4 to 4 balancer where you put a line set of splitters on input and output every second output line to 4-4 balancer.
As an example you can see this reddit thread https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ompendium/
There are really many solutions for balancing. google a bit.

Nycidian
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Nycidian »

For some reason my character is now slow with (slow) hovering below it. Why and how do I remove it?

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

Nycidian wrote:For some reason my character is now slow with (slow) hovering below it. Why and how do I remove it?
That's not a vanilla feature, a mod is causing it. If you can't find out which mod it is then post your mod list. Also check the modded keybindings in Options --> Controls --> Mods, maybe it's triggered by a certain key combination.

Wakaba-chan
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Wakaba-chan »

Hello,
I've just started my nuclear power plant in 0.15 and it turned out that nuclear reactor consumes fuel cells at the same rate regardless of load. It consumes precious cells even at the daylight, when my solar panels are working. Is this bug or reactor's feature? Is there any description of how reactor works in details?

Phasma Felis
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Phasma Felis »

Wakaba-chan wrote:Hello,
I've just started my nuclear power plant in 0.15 and it turned out that nuclear reactor consumes fuel cells at the same rate regardless of load. It consumes precious cells even at the daylight, when my solar panels are working. Is this bug or reactor's feature? Is there any description of how reactor works in details?
In real life, fuel rods decay (and emit heat) at the same rate regardless of whether they're being used to generate power or even in a reactor at the time, so that may be what they're going for. I don't know any more than that, though.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

Since heat generation is controlled by varying the fission rate I don't see how that can be true. The control rods on nuclear reactors absorb neutrons to keep chain-reaction fission feedback from getting, um, out of hand. More neutrons produces more fission produces more neutrons . . . and the ones that escape the fuel rod wind up producing heat.

Fuel costs are about 16% of total operating cost, so nobody spends too much worry on "burnup" rates, but reactor fuel efficiency is rated in GWd/t, gigawatt days per tonne.

edit: OP, you can keep steam in storage tanks. It looks to me like one fuel cell will generate about three tanks worth of steam (and neighbor bonuses can double or triple or even quadruple that).

AndrewIRL
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AndrewIRL »

quyxkh wrote:Since heat generation is controlled by varying the fission rate I don't see how that can be true. The control rods on nuclear reactors absorb neutrons to keep chain-reaction fission feedback from getting, um, out of hand.
Exactly, the control rods slow the chain reaction.
Load following is the potential for a power plant to adjust its power output as demand and price for electricity fluctuates throughout the day. In nuclear power plants, this is done by inserting control rods into the reactor pressure vessel. This operation is very inefficient as nuclear power generation is composed almost entirely of fixed and sunk costs; therefore, lowering the power output doesn't significantly reduce generating costs and the plant is thermo-mechanical stressed. Older nuclear (and coal) power plants may take many hours, if not days, to achieve a steady state power output.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_foll ... wer_plants

Fuel costs are low: designing/building/testing the control systems needed to load follow weren't considered worth it in older reactors. Steady state is easier to design/build than heating/cooling cycles stressing the plant. But that's real world and the question refers to the game.

Is the nuclear behavior in-game deliberate or accidental? Don't know. Which would make for better gameplay? Non load-following as-is.

Real world power generation can be broken into base, load-following and renewable. With this nuclear behavior the devs have now given us all three types - nuclear = base, Coal/Steam = load following and solar = renewable. To me this is ideal, the nuclear isn't a drop-in replacement for an existing power generator - it complements them thus expanding the game rather than just superseding.

Incomparables - starting at 3:48
Extra Credits: Power Creep - The Trouble with Expansions and Time - Extra Credits
Last edited by AndrewIRL on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moo Rhy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Moo Rhy »

Phasma Felis wrote:
Wakaba-chan wrote:Hello,
In real life, fuel rods decay (and emit heat) at the same rate regardless of whether they're being used to generate power or even in a reactor at the time, so that may be what they're going for. I don't know any more than that, though.
U-238 has a half-life of 4 billion years, U-235 (which is what we care about) has a half-life of 700 million years. They decay so slowly that you don't have to care about it. The decay products however themselfs decay much faster and produce a serious amount of heat but only a fraction of the total heat in operation. But you still have to get rid of it when the reactor is turned of. The decay is still happening but no fuel is used.

HiddenWolf
Inserter
Inserter

Post by HiddenWolf »

How many heat exchangers to a reactor?
How many turbines to a heat exchanger?

What are the ideal theoretical ratio's?

Edit: Is there a good way to see the pressure/flow in pipes?

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

How do i kill all biter in my map, or set back the evolution ?

/c game.forces["enemy"].kill_all_units() or
/c game.evolution_factor=X
Seem to have stopped working in .15

daniel34
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by daniel34 »

t-lor wrote:How do i kill all biter in my map, or set back the evolution ?

/c game.forces["enemy"].kill_all_units() or
/c game.evolution_factor=X
Seem to have stopped working in .15
The first one still works like in 0.14, the second one is now

Code: Select all

/c game.forces["enemy"].evolution_factor=X

nevniv
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nevniv »

Can someone explain where to find or read all of the rates at which things are consumed/produced?

For example, someone was trying to calculate how many steam engines and boilers needed to power 50 assembly machines, someone typically chimes in with "that's easy... a steam engine generates X and an assembly machine uses Y, and boilers use Z liters of water per second.."

Where do you find X Y and Z from? Is it just people reading the production/consumption screens in-game?

thanks

Zonk
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Zonk »

Do we in 15 still need many pumps per pipe? I saw it pumps more but the fluid values are all off so i wonder if we still need up to 5 Pumps for a single pipe?

Return to “Gameplay Help”