Fighting

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Fighting

Post by Mauslag PIngman »

I'm late in the game on peaceful mode. The aliens never attack first. I've been leaving them alone but now I want to take them out. I have a tank with high explosives rounds and penetrating bullets. I built forts close to nests and filled them with laser cannons. Everything is wired up and my plan was to put in the last power pole and then duck into the base and let the laser turrets do most of the work. Trouble is they're not shooting and the aliens are nibbling away and something is firing ranged rounds that takes out my laser turrets.

For some reason it worked on the first nests no problem but now it doesn't. I have about eight steam engines and maybe ten laser turrets. When fired from inside the base my tank appears to target my walls and even my turrets. The machine gun on the tank works pretty good but it quickly runs out of bullets. A few laser shots do hit the enemy and they're devestating. They are leveled up but not with aliend technology. The thing is they are firing very slowly and they seem to be hitting the walls. Should I have more steam engines and maybe some accumulators to store up a large amount of energy for quick use?

Is there something basically wrong with my strategy? Is there a way to lob with the tank cannon?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Fighting

Post by DaveMcW »

Mauslag PIngman wrote:I have about eight steam engines and maybe ten laser turrets.
One laser turret consumes the output of FIVE steam engines while in combat. You need a lot more power.
Mauslag PIngman wrote:The machine gun on the tank works pretty good but it quickly runs out of bullets.
So bring more bullets. 10 stacks is a good number.

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Okay. I got it now. The tank is useless. The walls are a waste of time. The shells are incredibly expensive and most of the time they hit a pile of dead aliens between you and the target and there's no way to tell if you're going to clear the heaps and it takes about six shots to kill one worm. This war is fought with
telephone poles and laser turrets. You can walk right up to most of the aliens (except for the spitters) and lay down a row of poles with the electrically affected areas touching.
Don't bother with any
walls.
When you're ready you get out a stack
of 50 leveled up lasers and install them by holding down the mouse and running.
In 5 seconds you'll have a line of ten turrets blasting away. Then you just pick everything up and move closer. The most horrendous infestations are gone in minutes if not seconds.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

You do realize it's the most boring way to take a nest down, right ? :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Have you tried Distractor Capsules and poison capsules (for the worms)? Also in case you didn't know, you can just run into the spawners with your tank it kills them instantly. :D
Image Image Image

cswiger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by cswiger »

Ah - ha! So that's what the poison capsules are supposed to be used for.

I kinda like driving around the enemy nests in a big circle and lobbing shells through the worms into the spawners while screaming at the top of my lungs.
So long as you don't stop and keep your speed up, this works even against fairly evolved critters. If you get stuck, you can get swarmed under, though.

And yeah-- if your driving a tank, the best possible place for the enemy to be is in front of you.
Tankers refer to armored troops as "crunchies" and unarmored troops as "track grease".

Mauslag PIngman
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

I am now optimizing blue science which has been lagging. I found a use for all the artifacts --- turn them into purple science.

Return to “Gameplay Help”