Killing BIG Nests

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Killing BIG Nests

Post by Griffon0129 »

Don't know if this is the correct place to post this or if it's been discussed before (if so point me to the right place), anyways...
Large Nest.png
Large Nest.png (679.64 KiB) Viewed 23097 times
I have this huge nest fairly close to my factory preventing me from really expanding like I want, but every attempt to destroy it ends badly.
Any advice on how to destroy it (technology to use, ect).
I'm close to end game, I've researched most science that doesn't require alien science packs.

MalcolmCooks
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Killing BIG Nests

Post by MalcolmCooks »

Could use tank, or if you have power armour, it should be possible

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Throw 2 distractor capsules to cover your approach. Throw 4 poison capsules at a clump of worms. Run back to your turrets, throwing slowdown capsules to cover your retreat.

Repeat until all worms are dead.

Then the nests will fall easily to distractor capsules.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

With the tank :
Peel it like an onion : circle arount it the furthest you can from the worms (start with the left and top part).
Get one - or more nests then retreat, killing the biters that follow you, and repair. Start over.

With power armor :
(set up like a pair of fusion reactors, 3-4 exoskelettons, a pair of shields and batteries) : run, throw 4+ poison capsules on the worms, and retreat to let them die. meanwhile, kill the biters that followed you with poison capsules you throw in pack and run around (or with shotgun+piercing shells). Repeat until no more worms. When finished, get back to the nests, destroy as many as you can running around, then finish the biters.

Tank needs a lot lower tech
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

Poison Capsules really worked! I ran in used them on worms then ran back to turrets. After worms were killed I deployed as many defender capsules as I could to kill the bitters attacking me while I destroyed spawners. I also had the Energy shield MK2 which didn't get used up all the way while fighting.

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

By the way a nest of that size can easily be destroyed even in the very early game with gun turrets firing regular magazine. You need about 8 turrets and perhaps 300 regular ammo, and because spawn rate is extremely high when a nest feels it is under attack you need to push in aggressively, constantly moving the turrets forward so they are always blasting away at spawners. Later in the game while gun turrets are still extremely effective (especially with bullet damage upgrades) laser turrets tend to be easier since you don't need to manually load them with ammo, also the lasers have higher HP which is nice against the bigger enemies.

Only reason to not destroy nests with turrets is if you feel it's too cheesy.

Xterminator
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Xterminator »

Believe it or not you can actually take out that nest with just normal gun turrets and some piercing ammo. The only issue might be the worms, but if you have poison capsules unlocked then you can easily take care of them with that.
Just plop some turrets down with ammo, then move forward a bit until you get enemy aggro and put some more down quickly with ammo. The first ones you placed should shoot any incoming enemies before they reach you.
Then just pull up the first ones and inch forward more and place them down in front of the second row you had placed. So on and so forth. Think of it like Leap Frog. Just make sure you have the best armor you can currently make in case you do end up getting hit. :p
Image Image Image

tetryon
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tetryon »

PA2 with a couple roboports, legs and the rest shields. Have plenty of base power on standby with accums. Attack during the day if relying on solar.

Essentially, you use the bots to drop down large power poles surrounded by 8 lasers. If you have the speed and enough bots, then drop down walls around them (leave a one square gap).

If you have enough shields, you can aggro the biters to take some attention. Otherwise just plop down blueprints of the aforementioned designed. 50 or so lasers can take down that base, which actually isn't the largest you'll ever seen.

Another technique rather than just rushing in is to set up a defensive line of lasers with walls. Aggro the biters, run back to the lasers, wait for them to die and THEN go rush the spawners. Either drop down your turret blueprint, or shotgun.

Failing that... turret creep.

Griffon0129
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Griffon0129 »

I did find a bigger nest and the laser turret blueprint thing works better than directly attacking the nests with anything else.

Trev_lite
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Trev_lite »

I have a similar problem. I am at red science, 10% evo factor, and have a few bases of similar size right at the end of my main bus that I need gone so that I can get green science set up.
My first move will be to hand craft some green science so that I can get piercing ammo, but what do I do from there besides turret creep.

ABOG19
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ABOG19 »

10% evo factor and only at red science!?

What setings or how long have you been playing that game?

Any map ive set up for red science and immediately after set up green science.

Edit*

My apologies I was thinking 10% was higher than it was.

Try setting up a temporary green science set up untill you research what you need so you can clear out the nest

Frightning
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Frightning »

Best way to deal with that base, since it appears all the worms are small worms, and your early in the game, would be to rush military 2, and get a bunch of piercing mags for your SMG (add in some Grenades if you want, will help 'thin the herd' during your initiate assault, and could also greatly help in dispatching those worms fast, especially if there are any medium hidden in there). Get Heavy armor researched as well and make yourself some, the small biters will barely even do damage to you with Heavy armor. Bullet upgrades and packing a turret or 2 (+ammo for them) to give yourself a nearby safe spot are also optional but not strictly required. Initially, draw out the hoard of biters and hose them down w/ SMG, may need to do this 2-3 times, but don't waste any time standing around, ideally you shouldn't have taken any damage, or at least very little (kite the biter hoard). With their numbers down fresh spawns only, move close enough to engage worms one at a time, try taking out any spawners you can reach without entering worm range first, as that will make the rest of the job easier, the Grenade's AoE can also help a ton at this stage, striking many worms at once and massively increasing your effect DPS against them. Keep an eye on your hp and don't overextend into the range too many worms or your HP will suffer dramatically, and you might have to withdraw and come back later (which means the wandering biters will have respawned too). If you're feeling cheeky, you could make yourself a Car, and give it the piercing rds. Little known fact: Car's MG has 20 range instead of 15 like your SMG and, crucially, small worms also have 15 range. Hence you actually outrange them w/ the Car! Makes for easy pickings.

aober93
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aober93 »

creep up on them with laser turrets lol.

MicFac
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MicFac »

If you have a power armor, put energy shields mk1 or better mk2 in it and get yourself a flame thrower. and then KILL THEM WITH FIRE :D

Jupiter
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Jupiter »

MicFac wrote:If you have a power armor, put energy shields mk1 or better mk2 in it and get yourself a flame thrower. and then KILL THEM WITH FIRE :D
Agreed! In addition: use exoskeletons (3-5) to kite the biters. This is how I do it.

Or just, you know, use turret creep (put turrets closer and closer to the nest until they can shoot at the spawners)

Tym
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Tym »

Remember that turrets can fire over walls. Also, that you can set a new wall a few bricks -inside- an existing wall. load yourself up with wall segments, and BOX the nest in, starting a ways back, then adding interior walls, usually double thickness. repeat a few times to limit the scope of the nest enclosure, recovering blocks from outer walls if you run short. when you are as close as you can stand, or if the spitters are massing, then apply your turret of choice, firing -in-.

Return to “Gameplay Help”