Map generation settings

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
gadgetkk
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Map generation settings

Post by gadgetkk »

Hi everyone,

Am I wanting gets better understanding of the settings that can be used. Is anyone able to explain to me in more layman terms what the settings do? I read the wiki but it didn't make much sense as to what effect each setting does.

What I'm wanting is to have big rich fields of ore but far apart. So I would like to know how to accomplish that.

Thanks in advance.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Map generation settings

Post by Yinan »

Frequency: How often do patches of that ore appear?
Size: How Big are those patches?
Richness: How much ore is in each square.

You could accomplish what you want by setting the first field to the lowest and the second and third to the highest. This gives you very few patches of ore, but they will be very big and have lot's of ore in them.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

gadgetkk wrote:What I'm wanting is to have big rich fields of ore but far apart. So I would like to know how to accomplish that.
The map generator does not do this very well. But there is a mod for it! Resource Spawner Overhaul

o6dukeleto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by o6dukeleto »

The hardest one to understand is frequency because it actually affects both distance between patches and size of patches.

Lower Frequency: Ore patches farther apart AND bigger.
Higher Frequency: Ore patches closer together AND smaller.

This is somewhat counter intuitive as it feels like frequency should only affect distance between patches,

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

o6dukeleto wrote:The hardest one to understand is frequency because it actually affects both distance between patches and size of patches.

This is somewhat counter intuitive as it feels like frequency should only affect distance between patches,
Wow, you have no idea how much that help.
Actually i'm a bit puzzled when i set the enemy freq to low, it thought it was a bug, because the enemy is become bigger, i mean exponential way bigger.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

waduk wrote:
o6dukeleto wrote:The hardest one to understand is frequency because it actually affects both distance between patches and size of patches.

Actually i'm a bit puzzled when i set the enemy freq to low, it thought it was a bug, because the enemy is become bigger, i mean exponential way bigger.
Also... being the guilty party... if you use RSO it works in a normal way. So higher frequency will make more biter bases for example. For ores it's a bit more complex since frequency is relative (high freq on all = no change).

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

orzelek wrote:
waduk wrote:

Also... being the guilty party... if you use RSO it works in a normal way. So higher frequency will make more biter bases for example. For ores it's a bit more complex since frequency is relative (high freq on all = no change).
Yes, i'm aware of that, i used RSO a lot, thank you !
It works wonderfully even on default setting.
Actually I trying to mimic RSO behaviour in vanilla (not the whole "the further you go, the more rich/big ore gonna get"; just the basic one, the distance and the size).
This game seriously need overhaul in ore generation.

o6dukeleto
Inserter
Inserter

Post by o6dukeleto »

I suspect the reason most people want more distance between patches of ore is to give a reason for trains, much like the RSO mod (which I have not used... yet.)

I have found that ONLY lowering frequency to "very low" for ores can create a pretty good distribution for a normal size factory. This will generally make patches bigger and farther apart. If you increase the size of patches at the same time as lowering frequency, you will quite often get really large patches close to your starting area... and you don't need trains for that resource for a long time..

I also tend to put oil down to "low" instead of "very low"... partly because I like the complexity of oil trains and barrels. Finally, I tend to leave biters alone.

BTW, I am pretty sure the RSO mod does do a better job of distributing ores, the standard generation is completely random, so while lowering frequency should make patches farther apart and bigger, it is random and you can still sometimes get some fairly close patches. I think RSO will limit patches based upon a region -- like maybe one per region -- correct me if I am wrong... but that would guarantee at least a minimum distance between patches.

waduk
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by waduk »

Not only that, but the vanilla at the default were simply too close to each other and too small.
Either we build multiple outpost that really small, or really-really big.
Kinda chaotic on bigger scale.

Currently I'm quite successful to mimic RSO, thank to those hint posted earlier.
The problem is, it's REALLY painful in early games since the ore patch nowhere near from each other in starting area.
RSO does at good job, because at starting there are initial ore to start with.
On vanilla ? Painful/annoying.
But i'm pressed on though, currently on 4 hour into the game.

Return to “Gameplay Help”