Completely confused by Smart Chests.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Completely confused by Smart Chests.

Post by Bushdoctor »

Good day,

I've got a Smart Chest and Smart Inserter at the end of a transport belt. The Inserter is set to put Copper Plates
in the chest if the amount is lower than 100. Here's the thing: That transport belt is empty (there are no items
on that belt) and I assumed that when I put another Smart Inserter at the start of the transport belt and connect it
to the same circuit, it would 'understand the order' for more copper plates and put them on the transport belt.
I am wrong in that assumption, aren't I?

Thank you,
Doc.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Completely confused by Smart Chests.

Post by Yinan »

Actually, you're not... at least as far as I understand you.

What your configuration does is activate the smart inserters when there is less than 100 copper plates in the smart chest.

So when you have a setup like this:

Code: Select all

XXXXXXXX
XSMBXXX
XXXBXXX
XXXBMCX
XXXXXXX
X = Empty Space; S = Smart Chest; B = Belt; M = Smart Inserter; C = Some Chest

When there are Copper plates in the Chest C and you have both smart inserters and the smart chest in the same circuit and you set the condition for both smart inserters to "Copper Plates < 100", then the bottom smart inserter would transfer copper plates from the chest onto the belt and the top smart inserter would transfer the copper plates from the belt into the smart chest. For both smart inserters this would keep going until there are 100 or more copper plates in the smart chest, then they would stop.

Of course, you would need to set the filter for the smart inserters to copper plates as well.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Thanks for your fast reply.
What you described is exactly what I was trying to do, but couldn't make it work.
I'm going to give it another try and report back :)
Thanks!

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Nope. I'm afraid I can't make that work.
The problem is that the smart inserter at chest C keeps dropping copper plates on the belt,
even though there are 100 in chest S. -- I have connected everything as you described.

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Could you post some screenshots so we could see what you actually did? Maybe there is comething wrong with the wiring.
Or maybe my understanding of the logic circuits is wrong, but what I did worked till now ^^

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

Whipped this up real fast.
http://snag.gy/yWL5a.jpg

Both inserters are set as shown in the screenshot, but the one on the left just kept pumping out copper plates.

logris
Inserter
Inserter

Post by logris »

You also need to link the power poles together with red wire. At the moment they only have the one (copper power) wire between them.
So the inserter on the left is seeing zero copper plates on it's circuit network, while the one on the right gets to see what's in the smart chest.

You can hover the mouse over a power pole to see the circuit network contents. If you do that you'll see the pole on the right has 100 copper plate, while the left one will show nothing.

Bushdoctor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Bushdoctor »

That worked perfectly. Thank you both very much.
All the short explanations I saw were connected to a single power pole,
I had no idea I had to connect the lot. :roll:

Yinan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Yinan »

Ah yeah, that's what I meant with "and you have both smart inserters and the smart chest in the same circuit", because with your setup in the screenshot, you had 2 seperate circuits there.

But good thing that it works now! Have fun with it :)

VirBinarus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by VirBinarus »

I have to say though, the wiki page on the circuit network is so confusing compared to what it actually is. I'm still struggling to understand that page even though I know how the circuit network works...

Return to “Gameplay Help”