Fluids experiments.

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
monty
Inserter
Inserter

Fluids experiments.

Post by monty »

This is aimed to have a discussion to better understand fluids in game and maybe make something amazing from it, or maybe just have a deeper understanding and better conceptualization of the topic.

I am declaring beforehand that what is to come might not be easily understandable(due to language issues or my lack in ability to express), but i will try and add graphs as and when possible. So if nothing else, they will help give a general idea.

I will start off with the basic understanding of fluids. This is detailed read and if you are only interested in result, skip to SUMMERY post directly(yet to add)
Introduction
Flow variation
Pressure
Last edited by monty on Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monty
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Fluids experiments.

Post by monty »

This post is where we start the experiment after the previous segment.

The main part flow, will be discussed here.
over view
initiation phase

monty
Inserter
Inserter

Post by monty »

The general pipe discussion
Steady pressure
Built
Data

monty
Inserter
Inserter

Post by monty »

The general pipe discussion.

This section aims to define the nature of steady flow in pipes. This can help have a better understanding of the fluid flow and fluid amount.
STEADY Flow
Built
DATA

monty
Inserter
Inserter

Post by monty »

Pumping discussion.

In this section pumps and their effects are being studied. It will also define saturation limit for different pipe segments, and where and how pumps can be used to deliver maximum flow.
Pump usage
Built
data
For flow comparison look at graph in the steady flow segment

monty
Inserter
Inserter

Post by monty »

Summery 1

This is the conclusion drawn from all above discussion
Fluid properties
Flow
Flow range
pump
Pipes
Graphs

This was the basic conclusion that one can come to after a bit of experimenting.

maybe it can be used to create mods/in-game mechanisms for different flow and thermodynamic cycle involving different pressure.

I hope it helps .

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

All pump does is it REMOVES THE EFFECT OF TRAVELING THROUGH PIPES.
That might explain why when you connect 1 pump to a string of 10 boilers, you can end up with the 5 boilers at the far end of the string consuming the liquid, and the 5 at the near end of the string (closest to the pump) being starved: the pump teleports the liquid as far as it can, and the liquid then works backwards from there (Note: This only seems to happen with certain orientations - I think when the liquid is pumped rightwards and downwards)

monty
Inserter
Inserter

Post by monty »

Speaking in simple language, a pump is a set of consumer and producer

It will consume any amount of resource/fluid that it can to fill up its producer.
Its producer adds the pumping pressure to the already available pressure.

So having pumping power above 1 is useless, as the pipe(tank or anything else) right next to it can only store max of 1:1 fluid.(or 100% of its max volume)
The only use of it(if you can call it use) is to fill up a consumer from a tank rapidly(but for this the only thing between them should be the pump)(and it doesnt works other way around)

Regarding the pipe, the maximum difference can be seen as having a pipe full at one end and empty at another.flow would develop and depend upon the difference in two pipes,

If there are very large number of pipes, the difference is small, so flow is less.
However if there are very few pipes, difference is large.(larger flow,so larger amount of liquid is transferred )

(one way to stimulate this is to setup an off shore pump, pumping 60 liquid/ sec, and a generator consuming 1 (or more) fluid per tick)
(if you vary their distance , you can see how flow very)

What happens in your case, or any other case can be explained like this
effect

>>about the boiler problem
boiler
I hope you find it useful

BlakeMW
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BlakeMW »

Oops I actually meant "steam engines" not "boilers". When you take a single small pump (which provides enough water to run 5 steam engines), then connect that to 10 steam engines, the 5 steam engines furthest from the pump consume the water, and the 5 closest to the pump consume no water (assuming the electricity grid is under 100% load). This only seems to happen when the water is pumped to the right or downwards, otherwise the 5 closest steam engines consume the water and the 5 furthest ones consume no water. The fact that water can skip over a bunch of steam engines is pretty weird and it's high level of dependence on orientation is also very weird.

It's pretty clear in this image just from the steam:
steam engines

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Nothing weird, pipes are updated leftward and upward flow first, then westward and downward flow. Within these directions, they are updated by their position within the pipe tables.

Your example clearly shows how pipes behave.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

Return to “Gameplay Help”