[0.15.x] Fluid mechanics

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Fluid mechanics

Post by XKnight »

Original post is updated to 0.15.x.
Math seems to be the same.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Thanks for updating the values. Saved me some hassles.
Maintainer and developer of Atomic Power. See here for more information.
Current release: 0.6.6 - Requires 0.14.x
Example build - Requires 0.14.x

t-lor
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by t-lor »

question.
i have some weird problems with my plastic plants halting for gas every few seconds,
even though there is a half filled storagetank in the system.

I was assuming fluids worked like electric. IE just plug everything on the same buss in any order and it would work.
How can i tell if its a presure problem ?
do the pipes have to show full, or just empty ?

MeduSalem
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MeduSalem »

As always thanks for the effort XKnight. :D

So is it possible to maintain 4800 units/sec (4 offshorepumps) (= 80 Units/tick?) over a single pipe given one places a pump every 100 tiles or so?

Because somehow I'm not quite sure if I read the graph correctly even if the bars are being described...At least I can't easily read what I want to know off from the graph because it seems like my target falls exactly in that weird drop-off in the middle of the graph.

Besides that I have the compulsive feeling that I think that the x-axis should actually be the pipe distance in tiles and the y axis the flow speed in units/sec.

Somehow I'd just prefer a table with columns that say "length in tiles" and the corresponding "units/sec"... because those are values one can actually work with.

iceman_1212
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by iceman_1212 »

t-lor wrote:question.
i have some weird problems with my plastic plants halting for gas every few seconds,
even though there is a half filled storagetank in the system.

I was assuming fluids worked like electric. IE just plug everything on the same buss in any order and it would work.
How can i tell if its a presure problem ?
do the pipes have to show full, or just empty ?
The level of fluid in a pipe is not indicative of flow. The way to tell whether or not you're facing pressure issues is if you have some producers (that are putting fluid into a pipe) with backed up output AND some consumers that are starved for input.

Generally speaking, unless you're piping water to boilers over very long distances or you're working on a megabase refinery (e.g., more than 15 refineries and associated chem plants, all beaconed w; speed 3 and prod moduled), then it's unlikely to be due to pressure.

Sometimes, inadvertent breaks in pipeline can be hard to spot depending on the angle of underground pipe - for that, i'd recommend turning on "show fluid box" debug option. I would turn on the "show fluid box" debug option. Press F4, then select this option. Now we see a nice graphical overlay showing fluid level in pipe in green and flow rate in dark blue (the flow rate bars will flicker and are sometimes very hard to see).

Would you be able to post a screenshot in a new thread describing the problem? Would be good to be able to keep specific troubleshooting out of this particular thread.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Thank you for the update. No joke, I refreshed one minute, it was old, the next minute, it said "0.15" in red and the graph changed. I was using it to determine how long I should let my nuclear fluid lines be.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Fatmice wrote: Yes, this is known and confirmed by devs a long time ago. Placing sources follow by a continuous section of pipes away from source will always have better throughput than placing pipes then source in the opposite direction of how the pipes were placed.The order does matter. Update is done North->South and West->East direction first. This is where order really matters. If you placed a pipe, then placed another pipe directly south of it, you can not stop the flow of liquid by disabling the southern pipe with the console. The reverse can be done. Also you can never place anything simultaneously. All entities are placed individually on each tick. Thus there is always an order or indexing number. This corresponds to their id number, which you can query through lua.
I was simply stating that my Python simulation, using the formulas from the forums, combined with my own deductions, for a series of pipes (147 of them) placed in each direction, with only a pump at one end and then looking at the value in the final pipe after exactly 20 seconds, perfectly matched the in-game version of the same experiment. It was a verification that together, it is a complete understanding of the fluid physics, at least where there are no 3-way or 4-way pipe segments. One which went beyond using an offshore pump and a single junction only, which if I remember right is what the formulas over here were derived from.
XKnight wrote:Note: do not forget that I've used only 2 pipe segments in my expiriments, so some erros are possible :) . If you find any differences between this theory and game-reality feel free to post your expiriments in this topic and I will do my best to explain it.
Fatmice wrote: The order does matter. Update is done North->South and West->East direction first. This is where order really matters. If you placed a pipe, then placed another pipe directly south of it, you can not stop the flow of liquid by disabling the southern pipe with the console. The reverse can be done. Also you can never place anything simultaneously. All entities are placed individually on each tick. Thus there is always an order or indexing number. This corresponds to their id number, which you can query through lua.
I was talking about the update order of the junctions between the pipe segments. Naturally, when you're placing pipes end-to-end, the junctions are updated in the same order that they are created. I was wondering what order the junctions are added to the end of the list when multiple junctions are created simultaneously, such as when placing a segment into a 3-way or 4-way position. My simulation verified that the updates are per-junction, that is, a flow rate is calculated from the difference in fluid levels between pipe A and pipe B, then the fluid is immediately transferred and the levels are updated, then the difference between fluid level in the newly updated pipe B and pipe C are used to determine flow between them. Junction A-B is calculated and applied, then junction B-C is calculated and applied (using the update from A-B), if that was the order they were created in. If the game did it better, then placement order would no longer matter, and the fluid physics could be multi-threaded (because the calculations would not depend on each other's results at all), making fluid physics run much faster, but the devs have no interest in doing this. Just an hour ago, I accidentally starved a row of heat exchangers of water because the placement order was wrong. All 8 of them (a single row) were getting nothing, so I picked up the pipes and put them back down in the right order, and all 48 of them were getting ample water again, as you would expect with 6 pipelines and 6 offshore pumps. Too bad construction bots can't do this.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Nothing is placed simultaneously. Everything is placed serially, one after another.

Update order is placement order with some exceptions at the chunk border. This is the reason strange things happen with heat pipes. The heat pipes are just pipes using the fluid ode on heat/energy.

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

I can even explain why pipe build order effects speed of fluids. It is actually pretty obvious.
Every tick there is a game recalculation loop happening.
All entities in the game are processed in a certain order. With pipes being no exception.
There are two methods that you could store and process entities - the matrix and the list. Matrix works best if you got fixed dimensions and list when your dimensions are not easily defined.
I do not know which method Factorio uses exactly (maybe list for chunks and matrix inside the chunk or list for everything with pointers from items to chunks) but the outcome will be the following:

List.
Items are processed in the order they were added to the list unless the list was sorted. In this case pipes get processed in their build order. While during full flow speed this will not make a difference as every pipe's neighbors are actively flowing liquid so does it, when the flow starts this makes a real difference as if you process pipes in the flow order every next pipe will see its previous neighbor started the flow so will it making the flow start within a single game tick throughout the whole pipe length. But if you go against the flow you will process totally empty pipes first and only one pipe will see the flow and advance it per game tick.

Matrix.
Items are processed based on their coordinates (be it game world coordinates or relative to their chunk). It this case change in the flow will propagate faster in certain directions like left-to-right and up-to-down and will not be effected by build order.

Looking at the game world I would suppose that Factorio uses lists for everything as game world is infinite and the amount of entities is too so to conserve memory the list is the best way to go.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

PacifyerGrey wrote: Looking at the game world I would suppose that Factorio uses lists for everything as game world is infinite and the amount of entities is too so to conserve memory the list is the best way to go.
Just a small correction, the world is not infinite. It is neigh-infinite. You are hard limited to 31250x31250 chunks, but realistically limited to 31220x31220 chunks as you can not venture near the limit or you will crash when the game can not render beyond the boundary.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Fatmice wrote:Nothing is placed simultaneously. Everything is placed serially, one after another. ...
I was referring to the junctions, the connections between adjacent fluid boxes. Since these are not updated simultaneously for boxes with two junctions (as in a serial pipeline), I imagine that the same is true for 3- and 4-way intersections. This means that, when placing a pipe into such an intersection, multiple junctions are created simultaneously, yet are updated in a precise sequence during fluid physics calculations.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Fatmice wrote:There's no such thing as suction anyway, even with real physics.
There is suction in physics, because pressure can be negative.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

Aru wrote:
Fatmice wrote:Nothing is placed simultaneously. Everything is placed serially, one after another. ...
I was referring to the junctions, the connections between adjacent fluid boxes. Since these are not updated simultaneously for boxes with two junctions (as in a serial pipeline), I imagine that the same is true for 3- and 4-way intersections. This means that, when placing a pipe into such an intersection, multiple junctions are created simultaneously, yet are updated in a precise sequence during fluid physics calculations.
Updates are, like I said, dependent on the orientation and direction of the connection. The sequence is top/left -> bottom/right, unless at chunk border, which is updated by the chunk order. I'm not totally clear on what actually happen at the chunk border and all of the magic that happen there.
BenSeidel wrote:
Fatmice wrote:There's no such thing as suction anyway, even with real physics.
There is suction in physics, because pressure can be negative.
Did you actually read what Aru said or what I was referring to what Aru said or just drop by and make a comment? Suction in physics, under normal use of the word, is a phenomenon that arises out of disequilibrium of pressure. Disequilibrium can only happen among positive quantities. Within this topic, Aru was referring to the fact that entities do not generate disequilibrium, "suction", to move liquid from one pipe section to another. Liquid in the game is moved around like passing a hot potato. There must be a spot for the potato to land for it to be moved. Pipes are in fact chests with only 1 slot for 1 type of item.

*Under very special topics of physics, there are such thing as "negative pressure," but almost always those terms are used to describe concepts that are counter-intuitive and unrelated to pressure, an outward force, which can not be negative on the absolute scale. The term "negative pressure" is only used to convey the idea of inward pulling, like tension. It is unfortunate that a negative of vernacular, pressure, is used to describe some very counter-intuitive and special physical effects under very special circumstances.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Fatmice wrote: Did you actually read what Aru said or what I was referring to what Aru said or just drop by and make a comment? Suction in physics, under normal use of the word, is a phenomenon that arises out of disequilibrium of pressure. Disequilibrium can only happen among positive quantities. Within this topic, Aru was referring to the fact that entities do not generate disequilibrium, "suction", to move liquid from one pipe section to another. Liquid in the game is moved around like passing a hot potato. There must be a spot for the potato to land for it to be moved. Pipes are in fact chests with only 1 slot for 1 type of item.

*Under very special topics of physics, there are such thing as "negative pressure," but almost always those terms are used to describe concepts that are counter-intuitive and unrelated to pressure, an outward force, which can not be negative on the absolute scale. The term "negative pressure" is only used to convey the idea of inward pulling, like tension. It is unfortunate that a negative of vernacular, pressure, is used to describe some very counter-intuitive and special physical effects under very special circumstances.
Yes, I read it. I was disputing the idea that there is no such thing as "suction". Pressure is caused by an inward force upon the mass. This means that under normal circumstances, when a liquid flows it is not due to suction, but (as you said) due to the disequilibrium of the pressures: the liquid is being forced not into the area with a lower pressure, but out of an area with higher pressure. This however is not the case when you look at negative pressure. If the liquid has the ability to either expand a vacuum, or travel to the places with negative pressure, it will expand the vacuum, so it's not being "pushed" from the higher pressure location, but pulled into the lower pressure location: hence true suction.

Edit:
I also think that the idea of negative pressure is not that counter intuitive as you have put forward. As positive pressure is caused by the repulsion of the molecules within the substance, negative pressure is caused by the attraction of the molecules within the substance, similar to compression and tension for solids. Just because it's something that happens rarely or under specific circumstances does not make it any less real or harder to comprehend.

Thought experiment: if you let a glob of some liquid orbit the earth (and you are able to prevent freezing/evaporation/boiling etc) then how does the liquid stay clumped together under the effects of gravity? Surely the gravitational difference from one side of the glob to the other would cause it to be ripped apart?

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

BenSeidel wrote:Yes, I read it. I was disputing the idea that there is no such thing as "suction". Pressure is caused by an inward force upon the mass. This means that under normal circumstances, when a liquid flows it is not due to suction, but (as you said) due to the disequilibrium of the pressures: the liquid is being forced not into the area with a lower pressure, but out of an area with higher pressure. This however is not the case when you look at negative pressure. If the liquid has the ability to either expand a vacuum, or travel to the places with negative pressure, it will expand the vacuum, so it's not being "pushed" from the higher pressure location, but pulled into the lower pressure location: hence true suction.

Edit:
I also think that the idea of negative pressure is not that counter intuitive as you have put forward. As positive pressure is caused by the repulsion of the molecules within the substance, negative pressure is caused by the attraction of the molecules within the substance, similar to compression and tension for solids. Just because it's something that happens rarely or under specific circumstances does not make it any less real or harder to comprehend.

Thought experiment: if you let a glob of some liquid orbit the earth (and you are able to prevent freezing/evaporation/boiling etc) then how does the liquid stay clumped together under the effects of gravity? Surely the gravitational difference from one side of the glob to the other would cause it to be ripped apart?
I think the primary use of "negative pressure" is as a relative pressure, a difference between the pressure of two areas. The concept is widely used in real life as such, for example a negative pressure room for containing infectious agents, or yes anything with suction is also described as negative pressure. It's relative rather than absolute pressure, and I agree that it's a perfectly valid terminology that is widely used.

The attraction you're talking about, is summed up in fluids as intermolecular forces which create things like surface tension. In solids though, that sounds like forces which oppose elastic deformation, tension. Neither one is ever referred to as suction or negative pressure, though. One more thing, something in orbit is in freefall, meaning minimal local effects of gravity.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by BenSeidel »

Here is a simple article that I found in about 10 seconds of googling that sums it up reasonably well. The key point here is that pressure is always a vector, hence it can never be negative, but instead it refers to the relative direction to which pressure (force) vector is acting, ie is it an inward force or an outward force. It's a complex subject, but it is possible to build systems that really do pull and in no way can be interpreted as pushing fluids from one region to another (as classical pressure modeling dictates). These systems are generally referred to as having negative pressure, to distinguish it from systems where liquids move due to a pressure differential.
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/mar/featscienceof

Also, Just because a term may be used to describe something else, like a negative pressure room, does not mean that it has another meaning in another context.
Anyone know the blackest object in our solar system? Answer: it's the sun.

Fatmice
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Fatmice »

BenSeidel wrote:Here is a simple article that I found in about 10 seconds of googling that sums it up reasonably well. The key point here is that pressure is always a vector, hence it can never be negative, but instead it refers to the relative direction to which pressure (force) vector is acting, ie is it an inward force or an outward force. It's a complex subject, but it is possible to build systems that really do pull and in no way can be interpreted as pushing fluids from one region to another (as classical pressure modeling dictates). These systems are generally referred to as having negative pressure, to distinguish it from systems where liquids move due to a pressure differential.

Also, Just because a term may be used to describe something else, like a negative pressure room, does not mean that it has another meaning in another context.
And none of this matters as the fluid in this game is not based on physics. It is better said that pipes carry fluid as belts carry items. It's that simple. There is no pressure, positive or negative. The "pressure" in the code is just to provide direction of flow. When the fluid flow is rewritten, when Rseding91 get to it, all of this will change. No more weird flow or no flow because pipes were built counter to the update preference.

Aru
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Aru »

Fatmice wrote:
BenSeidel wrote:Here is a simple article that I found in about 10 seconds of googling that sums it up reasonably well. The key point here is that pressure is always a vector, hence it can never be negative, but instead it refers to the relative direction to which pressure (force) vector is acting, ie is it an inward force or an outward force. It's a complex subject, but it is possible to build systems that really do pull and in no way can be interpreted as pushing fluids from one region to another (as classical pressure modeling dictates). These systems are generally referred to as having negative pressure, to distinguish it from systems where liquids move due to a pressure differential.

And none of this matters as the fluid in this game is not based on physics. It is better said that pipes carry fluid as belts carry items. It's that simple. There is no pressure, positive or negative. The "pressure" in the code is just to provide direction of flow. When the fluid flow is rewritten, when Rseding91 get to it, all of this will change. No more weird flow or no flow because pipes were built counter to the update preference.
I would gladly help to come up with a better, yet still efficient system, in fact I spent a lot of time thinking about it, but I reached the limits of how much I can come up with without actually seeing the structure of the relevant game code, and thus knowing what limitations I have to work with, especially interaction with graphics. I would gladly come up with a better system that is very easy on the CPU cost, because computer physics models are kind of my thing. I'm kind of sick of having to place things manually and very carefully whenever I need the fluid physics to work right, and not starve random places of fluids while right next door there's too much fluid, not have to deal with strange imbalances whenever I don't do it manually, and still have to deal with lesser issues even when it is placed manually. Not to mention that the fluid physics are just kind of ugly the moment you look a little closer than the smooth flow animations in the pipe windows. But, rseding has no intention of fixing it from what I can tell.
Last edited by Aru on Mon May 08, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XKnight
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Fluid mechanics

Post by XKnight »

Added lots of new information.

BenSeidel
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.15.x] Fluid mechanics

Post by BenSeidel »

Aru wrote:But, rseding has no intention of fixing it from what I can tell.
In one of ColonelWill's streams Rseding said that he wanted to tackle the fluid mechanics because it is currently linear time, and he believed that there was no reason for it to be that way. The comment that you have linked would be about that particular implementation, as it requires two sweeps of memory so it would be extremely slow. If anyone can get a good single-threaded implementation for fluid mechanics, he can. So it does not appear to be off the table yet.

Return to “Gameplay Help”